TVD is practicing

Advertisement
WR stats vs P5
1698247555307.png

I still would like to see BSmith getting more snaps allowing X to rest more AND allowing Dawson to use the slot in motion on more plays. 11 Personnel with BS as the RB and motion him out of the backfield or run wheel routes. So many options with him on the field.

Aside from B. Smith's 80 yard run, we averaged 3.3 yards per carry for the game. This was a tough defense. Emory performed admirably for a true freshman making his first start. Think about your mindset coming into that game knowing that Williams was getting the start. Did you really think we had a chance to win? Did you expect him to throw 3 INT's? Most folks did because that's the traditional thinking.

I have no doubt that he would perform much better if given a second consecutive start, especially against a notably slower defense. Moot point, I suppose.

In all honesty, I expected more or less what we saw with a TF QB. Lean heavily on the running game, limit the playbook and simplify the offense, play conservative and don't force things in the passing game, call very few plays utilizing the middle of the field or seam, and keep the throws short and high percentage (relying on playmakers to make a play).

I didn't expect a 3 interception game because I didn't expect Dawson to call a game that would have given him much of an opportunity to throw 3 picks. Nor did I have any serious expectations for Williams -- one way or another -- because he'd not yet been put in a remotely similar position (making his first career start against an excellent Clemson defense). He executed within the confines of the limited offense and did enough to keep UM in position for the W. And against a top 10 defense like Clemson, that's no small feat. He certainly deserves credit for the W in an unfair situation for a TF QB.

All that said, we won that game despite starting our TF QB, not because of our TF QB.

I still would like to see BSmith getting more snaps allowing X to rest more AND allowing Dawson to use the slot in motion on more plays. 11 Personnel with BS as the RB and motion him out of the backfield or run wheel routes. So many options with him on the field.
Or, maybe take the non-receiving threat at TE out of the game once in a while and use 4 WR with Brashard and X in the slots. I get that Cam is a great blocker but he's literally dead weight in the passing game.

Dear God, I'm not ****ting on him. Colbie played a great game, but that was a drop. He caught it, had time to secure it, and then the db possibly, barely hit the ball.

It was 100% a drop and i guarantee the coaches view it the same way. If the db hit it instantly that's a different story....but he didn’t.
who gives a **** we won

Or, maybe take the non-receiving threat at TE out of the game once in a while and use 4 WR with Brashard and X in the slots. I get that Cam is a great blocker but he's literally dead weight in the passing game.

As much as I would love to see that, it would depend on our ability to block speed rushers. Our OTs have done well but our TE and RB help has been very important to keeping the pocket clean. Add into the mix Parrish (shoulder), Channey (head), Fletcher(ankle), and Citizen (knee) may not play this week leaving us with AJ, BS, and CJ who are not your go-to pass pro RBs. This would not be the week to remove Old Man Cam IMO.

Tyler has had multiple this year that have been outstanding elite throws. Emory threw a great ball. But it’s not really a comparison.

Vs Unc wheel rout by JG.

1st. Tyler is staring down a defender in his eyes. He winds up to throw. On the top right, you can see JG bearly even breaking into his vertical stem off of his wheel route.

Look at the defender position and the ball. Defense is still 2 yards ahead oh JG. Ball has just been let out and is 5-10 yards still behind the receiver. So, the ball is thrown VERY early in the route.
View attachment 262853

I thought this was a beautiful play by design and execution. For starters, there isn't a part of the field we aren't threatening. UNC asked a lot of their coverage here and they did a good job of handling the "rub" but this is a picture perfect man beater. If Tyler has zone, he probably has X or the RB, but against man, the CB follows Horton on the post and you have George one on one in a matchup you love. Tyler saw the post occupy everyone immediately and knew exactly where this was going before he was out of the break. Awesome play and read.

Advertisement
Welp there you go. Who gives a **** that their only other win this year is against William and Mary. They will barely win 4 games and one of them won’t be this Saturday afternoon even if John Richt was out QB.
I’m sure people were saying similar things about the Georgia Tech game.

Negative. The way you lose to teams as 17 point favorites is to let them hang around for a half and think they can win. They know they’re a 17 point dog. You know you’re a 17 point favorite. When you go bury them early, you take their will and it’s a wrap. Starting Emory and risking him starting slowly and letting UVA hang around is a recipe for disaster. If TVD can go, he goes. I think the opposite, get up 17-21 early and get him out. Not potentially start slowly, have him tighten up on the bench and throw a wounded kid out there to save the day. If TVD is good enough to go, he goes.
For me this depends on if this is an injury that’s just more a pain tolerance issue, Or if there is higher risk of re-injury. If the risk of re-injury or exacerbating the injury is high, I’d sit him 1 more game if he’s not fully there - or at least 95% there….if it’s just pain you gotta start TVvD

Advertisement
Someone needs to watch the replay again. That ball was batted out of his hands.

Colbie will tell you it was a drop.
Beard will tell you it was a drop.
Dawson will tell you it was a drop.
My grandma told me to tell you it was a drop.

Enough. The ball was perfect. It hit him in both hands on a dead run. It should be caught 100 times out of 100. But, we won the game, and Colbie played very well aside from that, so we move on.

IMG_0318.png
IMG_0317.png

These, along with a few other pics, were posted on the official Hurricanes Football FB page a little while ago. Obviously, they’re not trying hide TVD being in a knee brace. Hopefully, it’s just precautionary.

Once it hits your hands it’s your job to have the hand strength to hold on to it and tuck it away. There’s actual workouts that wr’s do to build hand strength. If the db rips / knocks it out you lost and he won. That simple.
Much of CIS and even the game announcers called the 4th quarter pass to Colbie Young a drop. I thought is was a PBU live in real time. Every situation is different and needs context. We see fumbles all the time with RBs that carry the ball away from their body getting swiped or punched out, yet we expect a WR to hold onto the ball when it's on his fingertips and the DB gets his hand in there to swipe. I just don't buy that logic. It all depends on the timing of the play and where the ball is relative to the defender. Does the WR have time to secure the catch and/or shield the ball from the defender allowing that split second to secure the ball? I don't think time or space allowed for a catch in this situation.

I snapped a photo at the exact moment the ball touched Colbie's hands. Looking at the photo, you can see the defender Wiggins has very good positioning close to Colbie's body on the ball side closest to Colbie's hands. Wiggins hand is inside or on top of Colbie's at the moment the ball touches Colbie's hands. If the ball had been thrown on the inside or the defender was a fraction late, I believe Colbie would have made the catch. Instead, there simply wasn't the time or the space to make the catch. It was a PBU. Sometimes, defender wins.

Attachments

• Colbie Young.png
    Colbie Young.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Advertisement
Colbie will tell you it was a drop.
Beard will tell you it was a drop.
Dawson will tell you it was a drop.
My grandma told me to tell you it was a drop.

Enough. The ball was perfect. It hit him in both hands on a dead run. It should be caught 100 times out of 100. But, we won the game, and Colbie played very well aside from that, so we move on.
@Number1CanesFan says it was a PBU. See post in this thread.

Negative. The way you lose to teams as 17 point favorites is to let them hang around for a half and think they can win. They know they’re a 17 point dog. You know you’re a 17 point favorite. When you go bury them early, you take their will and it’s a wrap. Starting Emory and risking him starting slowly and letting UVA hang around is a recipe for disaster. If TVD can go, he goes. I think the opposite, get up 17-21 early and get him out. Not potentially start slowly, have him tighten up on the bench and throw a wounded kid out there to save the day. If TVD is good enough to go, he goes.
You make a good point....I would hope that we are up by 35 in the 3rd so that Emory can come in

View attachment 262869View attachment 262870
These, along with a few other pics, were posted on the official Hurricanes Football FB page a little while ago. Obviously, they’re not trying hide TVD being in a knee brace. Hopefully, it’s just precautionary.
Wearing knee braces in practice is common and usually precautionary. Really hoping TVD is ready to go, we cant afford to drop a game to teams we should beat.

Advertisement
Back