The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another guy, or pair of guys, I like whom I haven't seen on here is Mike Shanahan (OC/WR) and Tino Sunseri (QB coach) at James Madison.

Both guys are in their early 30s, but last year JMU was 5th in scoring (FCS) and this year transitioning to the sun belt they are 19th (26th in total offense/17th in passing efficiency) in the FBS.

-Sunseri was an analyst at Bama for 2 years, and was basically a GRA at Tennessee and at FSU under Jimbo after being a qb at Pitt and in the CFL

- Shanahan is in his second year as the OC and also played at Pitt with Sunseri.

Maybe theyr'e still a little green but what's interesting is last year JMU was in the FCS and this year transitioning to D1 they still are having a high degree of success offensively in the sun belt. Maybe not of interest so soon, but definitely two names to keep in mind for the future.

Today (so far) they've been producing very well against Coastal Carolina.

Their salaries would definitely offset the $2M Cristobal flushed down the toilet w/ Gattis.

Advertisement
Another guy, or pair of guys, I like whom I haven't seen on here is Mike Shanahan (OC/WR) and Tino Sunseri (QB coach) at James Madison.

Both guys are in their early 30s, but last year JMU was 5th in scoring (FCS) and this year transitioning to the sun belt they are 19th (26th in total offense/17th in passing efficiency) in the FBS.

-Sunseri was an analyst at Bama for 2 years, and was basically a GRA at Tennessee and at FSU under Jimbo after being a qb at Pitt and in the CFL

- Shanahan is in his second year as the OC and also played at Pitt with Sunseri.

Maybe theyr'e still a little green but what's interesting is last year JMU was in the FCS and this year transitioning to D1 they still are having a high degree of success offensively in the sun belt. Maybe not of interest so soon, but definitely two names to keep in mind for the future.

I really like that pair of coaches, I agree they might be too green for the canes now, but really intriguing duo to bookmark.

Those two might very well turn out to be great D1 coaches, but if you look at their respective resumes they’re way too green and fi t have the recruiting chops that Mario is hunting for at this juncture

Would LOVE it if Mario hires someone along these lines. We have hired retreads way too much. Need some young blood and energy, especially when it comes to scheme and innovation. And if they don’t have high level recruiting experience, Mario can put more miles in while our youngins sit under the learning tree when it comes to recruiting.

JMU has been doing really good for a minute.

Would LOVE it if Mario hires someone along these lines. We have hired retreads way too much. Need some young blood and energy, especially when it comes to scheme and innovation. And if they don’t have high level recruiting experience, Mario can put more miles in while our youngins sit under the learning tree when it comes to recruiting.

It’s always difficult projecting coaches who are successful in smaller schools and how they would perform or succeed at a place like this.

The nice thing about these two is they are working their ways up in the coaching ranks but also have a lot of prior familiarity in power five football as players and partial attempts as pros as well. At a cursory level it wouldn’t be such a shock to coach in the ACC being former starters at Pitt, themselves.

Maybe if Mario hires Gattis’s evil twin and we’re back in the same boat at this point next year, and these two have a third very successful year in a row as an OC/qb coach combo, they can be taken a little more seriously.

Advertisement

Those James Madison guys would be a bigger underqualification then when Manny was hired as the HC

Those James Madison guys would be a bigger underqualification then when Manny was hired as the HC
Even successful smaller school or FCS guys like Tressel, Brian Kelly, or DeBoer (albeit as head coaches) have extended sample sizes and proof as to being very good to great coaches. The other two need a little more proof.

It’s not like Dorsey who is kicking *** in the nfl as a qb coach for years and you have brilliant people on here saying he can’t coach as our oc since he hasn’t called plays. He was doing it at the highest possible level.

These guys are beating up on schools like coastal Carolina or MTSU for only a couple years.

Advertisement
There really are some good candidates out there. I really hope we don’t ***** this up.

Advertisement
There really are some good candidates out there. I really hope we don’t ***** this up.

Kamala Harris Yes GIF by The Democrats

Advertisement
What type of offense does Montgomery run?
He is an Art Briles disciple (Veer and Shoot offense)

From the same coaching tree: Kendal Briles, Dino Babers, Sean Lewis, Andrew Sowder.

Montgomery was with Briles Sr. at Stephenville HS (TX) in Houston and with Baylor.

This is from his Baylor days.

This is a more recent article (Tulsa days)

Last edited:
Tulsa scoring numbers have been terrible the last few years. Scoring offense vs FBS opponents:

2022: 59th at 28.5 ppg
2021: 65th at 27.2 ppg
2020: 70th at 27.1 ppg
2019: 77th at 25.9 ppg
2018: 100th at 22.8 ppg

Did he call plays at Tulsa, has he forgotten how to put up points, or is Tulsa just a dead-end job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back