The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Chris Pratt What GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
We have no idea what 'style' Mario wants if you believe he was after guys like Joe Brady, Briles, Golesh and Candle. It's all a convenient narrative when hindsight is 20/20.
I agree with this. I also don’t think Mario had a clue that Gattis is what he is...from his attitude to his on field production. I honestly think Mario got fooled like the rest of us.

Advertisement
I agree with this. I also don’t think Mario had a clue that Gattis is what he is...from his attitude to his on field production. I honestly think Mario got fooled like the rest of us.
After Mario detailed his hiring process, amazing he got bamboozled like he did…

Let the fun begin, lol.

Scott is interesting name that I hadn’t thought about. He is definitely getting the boot but don’t think that’d be a good move. Even at Clemson, he wasn’t a super X and O’s guy who was amazing at scheming it up IMO. He shined at Clemson because they had generational college QB’s and an elite hit rate when recruiting WR’s. He deserves credit for that, and he maximized all of those guys for sure but as we can see at USF, he isn’t really doing more with less…and we need someone that has a proven track record of doing that ie scheming and X and O’ing their way to success offensively regardless of their personnel. Scott will definitely get a job, but that would be extremely risky and something we can’t afford to do. JMO
We could definitely bring him on as Co-OC/WR coach w/o play calling duties. Then we'd need to fill the co-OC/QB coach spot and give him playcalling responsibilities. Wouldn't be mad if Dan Mullen got the call as QB/OC

After Mario detailed his hiring process, amazing he got bamboozled like he did…

In hindsight, hiring coordinators shouldn’t be that “grueling” process. They should all have a body of work on film they anyone can look at. The actual interview should just be a “get to know you” type of thing. I mean, you can look at the film and see what the guy is gonna run. What am I missing??

Advertisement
In hindsight, hiring coordinators shouldn’t be that “grueling” process. They should all have a body of work on film they anyone can look at. The actual interview should just be a “get to know you” type of thing. I mean, you can look at the film and see what the guy is gonna run. What am I missing??
Yeah his process is horrible. He spends FOREVER interviewing each candidate but somehow still makes bad picks. Like Gattass is not well spoken at all when describing his own offense, how the **** did Mario not figure out that he isn't that good? Even worse than that, both Gattis and Addae weren't being renewed at their existing schools and Mario apparently didn't talk to anyone that works with them to find out they actually suck.

Another guy, or pair of guys, I like whom I haven't seen on here is Mike Shanahan (OC/WR) and Tino Sunseri (QB coach) at James Madison.

Both guys are in their early 30s, but last year JMU was 5th in scoring (FCS) and this year transitioning to the sun belt they are 19th (26th in total offense/17th in passing efficiency) in the FBS.

-Sunseri was an analyst at Bama for 2 years, and was basically a GRA at Tennessee and at FSU under Jimbo after being a qb at Pitt and in the CFL

- Shanahan is in his second year as the OC and also played at Pitt with Sunseri.

Maybe theyr'e still a little green but what's interesting is last year JMU was in the FCS and this year transitioning to D1 they still are having a high degree of success offensively in the sun belt. Maybe not of interest so soon, but definitely two names to keep in mind for the future.

Today (so far) they've been producing very well against Coastal Carolina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back