The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hartline was never coming here as an OC. So which one is it - that Mario is married to a scheme, or that Hartline turned us down? You can't have it both ways.

He's starving for quality info. He's nowhere as accurate as last year. Imagine thinking about keeping Ponce as a QB coach but hiring a new OC. That's asinine lol. But believe what you want.
Can’t tell you if Hartline was interested or not. But I can tell you a local 5 star recruit was the one who first mentioned it…. He has zero reason to lie about that, so while I don’t know if he was interested I believe Mario approached him…. Which caused OSU to step up.

Advertisement
Riley runs an air raid at USC? Thats news to me. He was always a power spread guy.

Idc what you call an offense, just give me the offense that doesn't constantly motion in WRs to the LOS to act as offensive lineman, and an offense that doesn't stand there looking back at their dumbass OC for 45 seconds when they're down by 30, and an offense that has routes for WRs where they aren't all in the same location.

Let's call that the non-dumbass offense. Give me the Non-dumbass offense Mario.
Every offense that puts up points is air raid apparently

The man was obviously humorless if he can't appreciate a little word play or the clever turn of a phrase.

spongebob hiding GIF

Advertisement
Honestly if Tommy Rees is one of the options I’d be relieved to get Marcus Arroyo. Turrible OC that’s drenched in Golden Domer ****
Exactly. And you'd end overpaying for a bum like Rees too. I mean at least Gattis had the resume that could serve to impress on face value- even if it was obviously fool's good. But imagine having to talk about negotiating a buyout with freakin' Tommy Rees because you gave him a very lucrative deal? Eff outta here.

Like you said, just gimme Arroyo at that point.

Last edited:
Coley was our OC once before and didn't run anything resembling a power spread. I swear, we have literal morons on this site associating OC's no one wants with an offense that Mario runs just because it's convenient. You do know that Arroyo's background is the air raid right?
Ive never heard the air raid described as vanilla, predictable, and looks like a cave man coaching.

Funny thats how his offense has been described.

IF anybody in Hecht actually thought Hartline was a done deal before they had a signed contract with him (which I find hard to actually believe) then they really shouldn't even be allowed to be part of this hiring process as they're at least partly a legit moron.

That whole "they promised Hartline" to multiple recruits stuff is a lie.

Telling recruits we will be running our offense like Ohio State's...now that is true.

Advertisement
Riley runs an air raid at USC? Thats news to me. He was always a power spread guy.

Idc what you call an offense, just give me the offense that doesn't constantly motion in WRs to the LOS to act as offensive lineman, and an offense that doesn't stand there looking back at their dumbass OC for 45 seconds when they're down by 30, and an offense that has routes for WRs where they aren't all in the same location.

Let's call that the non-dumbass offense. Give me the Non-dumbass offense Mario.
Riley has always run an air raid. He absolutely does not run a power spread. Riley also doesn't like RPO as alot of power spread (Mullen, Malzahn, Urban and Day) guys do. Riley tinkered with RPO with Rattler and removed most concepts once again when Williams took the qb job.

There is an article from Longhorns 247 talking about some of this in regards to Riley.

Riley is one of the few who sticks to the original air raid run by Leach closest, albeit adding mobile qbs has evolved it some from the Leach/Mumme original that starred guys like Tim Couch/Josh Heupel, Sam Bradford, Kingsbury at Qb. But even as coaches Heupel and Klingsbury changed to allow for RPO and other power spread option concepts more than Riley ever has.

Advertisement
I could care less for scheme. I like points and yards, and I like them in bunches. Which seems to lean more towards the spread/ air-raid type playbooks.
The reason being? It’s just easier.
- easier for the OL as defense gets winded

- less complicated playbook for QB which focuses on using space and pace instead of trying to “out scheme” you with window dressing.

- can get more out of your players, certain schemes require a much higher level of talent and IQ. Which can cause players to think instead of react.

There’s a reason why 20 of the top 25 offense in CFB any given year run some variation of the raid.

That whole "they promised Hartline" to multiple recruits stuff is a lie.

Telling recruits we will be running our offense like Ohio State's...now that is true.
But if you're trying to make your new OC who's never called plays look more desirable and humiliate a recruiting threat in the heart of Receiver country, you add nuance to the truth.

Advertisement
The amount of time some of y'all spend on here trashing guys that aren't even on our staff is quite remarkable. I can't help but wonder just how much good you could do in the world if you spent even half the time you do trashing non Miami coaches doing something, dare I say, productive......

****This just in, neither Arroyo or Coley are our OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back