The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the Hecht today, I went by Dennis Smith's office, and here is the picture that I took of his desk:

images

Advertisement
Understood...you loathe the idea of Arroyo.

But you do realize that he's got him in the same tier as a raging alcoholic and ahead of 3 guys that have nowhere near the success as OCs that he's ever had.
You're saying you'd rather Peetz, Martin, or Coley as OC based on actual production? Based on what? Cuz right now, it just seems like you're hating just to hate.
I said he should be in the same tier as Martin and Coley. They are all bad choices. I’m not going to get into speculation around Frost’s personal life. As a play caller he has produced quality offenses.

Reactions: E1k
Advertisement
that's what i was axing. thanks.

then you know that addiction has nothing to do with geography nor is it a light switch. if he does have an addiction problem, then i suggest that it certainly didn't start in lincoln nor when he was 43, nor will it go away when he leaves lincoln. geographic cures are not cures at all since you tend to take your baggage with you on your back. again, i don't know the details, but a grown man that is unable to do his job because he's drinking suggest an addiction problem and that problem is usually best addressed by treatment and/or a 12 step program. moving from lincoln to x isn't likely to work.

Addiction has to do with behavior & social circumstances (look it up), of which a geographic location could serve as a trigger. For example, an addict walks by a place where they used to get high in the past and feels 'the urge to use'. I think you're conflating the term addiction (substance) with baggage (trigger for drinking). In many cases a change in circumstance is more curative of a substance use problem than structured treatment (12-step), because the person really was self-medicating to treat/escape something else...

I'm saying there's a reason he is drinking in a manner that seems out of control with clear negative impact on his ability to manage responsibility, and I don't believe it's because he just fell in love with alcohol when he got to Lincoln after navigating life for 43 years with some objective measure of success. We can respectfully disagree, but there is absolutely something about the circumstances in Lincoln that made him lose control and negatively magnified the impact of alcohol on his life.

Maybe Frost only identifies as a co-ed banging, binge-drinking athlete in Lincoln and that's his trigger...I believe leaving Lincoln for a the right environment is more important FOR HIM than a 12 step program. I say that not only based on some personal experience but on his life and coaching success before 2018 when he became HC at Nebraska.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Addiction has to do with behavior & social circumstances (look it up), of which a geographic location could serve as a trigger. For example, and addict walks by a place where they used to get high in the past and feels 'the urge to use'. I think you're conflating the term addiction (substance) with baggage (trigger for drinking). In many cases a change in circumstance is more curative of a substance use problem than structured treatment (12-step), because the person really was self-medicating to treat/escape something else...

I'm saying there's a reason he is drinking in a manner that seems out of control with clear negative impact on his ability to manage responsibility, and I don't believe it's because he just fell in love with alcohol when he got to Lincoln after being able to navigate life for 43 years with some objective measure of success. We can respectfully disagree, but there is absolutely something about the circumstances in Lincoln that made him lose control and magnified the negative impact of alcohol on his life.

Maybe Frost only identifies as a co-ed banging, binge-drinking athlete in Lincoln and that's his trigger...I believe leaving Lincoln for a the right environment is more important FOR HIM than a 12 step program. I say that not only based on some personal experience but on his life and coaching success before 2018 when he became HC at Nebraska.
Mario can use the Saban playbook like Saban did with Sarkisian.

Advertisement
I know bill o brien dropped from NFL HC to college OC but that was at bama in the coaching rehab program and just feels like the only situation people make that fall

And on top of that, how much is Arizona paying him NOT to coach? It would have to be more than that and for a OC position just seems absurd

Advertisement
If he was a young up and comer maybe he makes that jump. Rhett is proof if you‘re worth your salt as a coordinator here a head coach job will be there and fast. His career was trending downward when he took the UM job. Ruggiero is older and very loyal to Clawson. So I’d be shocked if he bounced.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back