Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a Toledo boy and I love Candle as OC - I have said it repeatedly. But let’s not get into a bidding war at those numbers on principle. Set a deadline and move on. Throw $1.4 at Johns and shut it down. Not hard.
If you're throwing money at Johns, then at take a look at Yost at FIU....

Advertisement
Thats why he couldnt figure any pass combos that didnt end in X and Mallory in the same spot. Didnt Gattis have some rumors about him and a recruit's mom before he got to Miami? Arrogant bum. Even getting into online arguments with fans about schemes and playcalling. Cristobal takes that one on the chin after spending forever making the hire.

I suspect that if Gattis had not been caught in this alleged verboten act, he'd be the OC in 2023. Cristobal had already set the stage by defending Gattis and saying that his offense worked perfectly well at Michigan. And before the Cristo-bros boo and hiss and claim Cristobal made the decision to fire Gattis during the season, I would advise them that they aren't going to fool anyone into thinking Cristobal was willing take decisive action.

Nope.

I suspect that if Gattis had not been caught in this alleged verboten act, he'd be the OC in 2023. Cristobal had already set the stage by defending Gattis and saying that his offense worked perfectly well at Michigan. And before the Cristo-bros boo and hiss and claim Cristobal made the decision to fire Gattis during the season, I would advise them that they aren't going to fool anyone into thinking Cristobal was willing take decisive action.
Could be. Could also be that Mario was prepared to fire him sooner but had to wait for the investigation to play out if its true that Gattis had inappropriate relationships with students.

Miami has some baddies especially if you're coming from Michigan, but he really fumbled the bag if this is true. Imagine losing millions of dollars (if he had just been fired for poor performance we would be paying still) for pu$$y

I saw with mine two eyes Gattis during the winter break driving around recruits during a big recruiting weekend. Let's say all this "for cause" stuff is true and an investigation or process had to play out. If true, wouldn't he be temporarily suspended from team activities while that process is being played out? I mean, if something so inappropriate was done that it justifies "for cause," why would he still be representing the university?

I dunno. This isn't my cup of tea. But if a dude did a bad job and also did something reprehensible, why can't he be fired immediately and if any lawyer speaks up and demands that the remaining contract be honored, you shove these allegations up their rear and say "go for it" and all this stuff hits the light of day. You can negotiate with someone after a contract has been terminated and find a resolution.

He was.

The reports came about in January, after the holiday break. Why do you think Gattis was AWOL in January for a couple of weeks?

Allegedly.

1675715470739.png

Advertisement
You may be proven right in the end and we would have gotten there by luck and not the process but that’s ok.

I’ll tell you what though, @cway313 - this new violence freedom and mopeyness is pretty cool. Feels good!!!

Scott Hall Football GIF

Mocking Ha Ha GIF by WWE
B58C19CA-3382-42D6-8E9F-F249A90CD0EF.jpeg

I saw with mine two eyes Gattis during the winter break driving around recruits during a big recruiting weekend. Let's say all this "for cause" stuff is true and an investigation or process had to play out. If true, wouldn't he be temporarily suspended from team activities while that process is being played out? I mean, if something so inappropriate was done that it justifies "for cause," why would he still be representing the university?

I dunno. This isn't my cup of tea. But if a dude did a bad job and also did something reprehensible, why can't he be fired immediately and if any lawyer speaks up and demands that the remaining contract be honored, you shove these allegations up their rear and say "go for it" and all this stuff hits the light of day. You can negotiate with someone after a contract has been terminated and find a resolution.
this is plausible because, to my knowledge, either the act/event occurred after the winter break or UM learned of it after the winter break.

/not an employment lawyer

The alleged "for cause" thing doesn't quite make sense timeline-wise. If Gattis did in fact do something that warranted being fired "for cause," wouldn't that have made it easier to terminate him promptly because there is a basis for firing, which usually results in a forfeit of any remaining monies on the rest of the contract (so there's not much to negotiate, if anything)? Instead, it dragged on seemingly forever. The fact that it went on so long suggested to me maybe it had something to do with a buy-out (which then wouldn't be for cause) or something else (like Mario micromanaging). IDK.
Gotta have all your ducks in a row in cases like that or you open yourself up for lawsuit/s.

Advertisement
He was.

The reports came about in January, after the holiday break. Why do you think Gattis was AWOL in January for a couple of weeks?

Allegedly.

View attachment 228466
Ah. Appreciate that.

So, does that mean Mario had no intention to fire him for his performance and was forced to fire him for alleged off-field reasons? Because if you're going to fire him for performance, naturally you do that right after season concludes.

Reactions: JD4
That is an excuse. Perhaps you are not going to get guys from middle to top P5 schools for lateral moves or get G5 head coaches, but there are plenty of guys at lower levels that would be excited to take the next step. Part of Mario and Zo's jobs are to find those next guys. I would bet 3/4 of the guys on @Memnon lists would jump at the opportunity, but Mario is either not interested in their style of play or hyper-focused on where they have coached (which, frankly, is stupid).

In any case, somehow all of these coaches can identify, interview, and negotiate a deal in a weekend, but Mario is doing a dance with the same guy for the last two off-seasons. And if you look at my past posts, I have been very much of the "wait until all the dust settles to pass judgment" camp. But this is now a trend, and it is not a good one. If Mario really wants Candle, that is fine for him to reach back out, but at a certain point he needs to tell Candle these are the terms, I need an answer or I am moving on and be done with it. That time should have happened a week or so ago.
yea i'm sure if we hired that "middle to top P5" up and comer it would go soooo well here and he would be given all the leeway that a guy who is an up and comer needs. Cause if there is one thing Miami fans are known for, its patience. Just look at the patience in hiring what is hopefully the right guy in a month where you can't install and offense or do anything else. But its important we do it in everyone's perceived right allotted time.

Advertisement
Ah. Appreciate that.

So, does that mean Mario had no intention to fire him for his performance and was forced to fire him for alleged off-field reasons? Because if you're going to fire him for performance, naturally you do that right after season concludes.
I think he was gone either way. The off field stuff just made it easier to not pay him on the way out.

Advertisement
For that type of termination there is a process / procedure that involves a formal internal investigation, UM counsel, and a variety of interviews. It was also commented on that as the allegations were brought forward ... more individuals came forward as well with allegations. HR had 100% control once it reached that point. It was no longer a football performance review issue.

Exactly. UM had to do right by those staffers and or students allegedly harmed by the Gattis action

Lots of protocol for lots of different reasons, particularly because UM is a university

I think he was gone either way. The off field stuff just made it easier to not pay him on the way out.
Agreed. But then why not just do it come November 26? If it's being suggested that the firing was drawn out because of some internal investigation/process that had to be carried out then that's separate from performance (and if true, not too pleasing that he'd still have a job months after November 26 and some alleged off-field stuff forced his departure?). I don't know. I am twisting myself in knots. Nothing about the firing makes sense to me. Mario should have canned him a long time ago.

Embarrassing that Cristobal already getting compared to Scott Frost’s tenure at Nebraska.

“No coach was worse in year one than Cristobal. When you have expectations set this high, your team has to perform. Although Dan Radakovich is the newish athletic director at his alma mater as well, you have to wonder what the **** is going on in Coral Gables?! Frost is proof that you can’t always go home. His Nebraska reputation is tarnished forever. Let’s hope Cristobal can save his.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back