Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this is no criticism of you, it's just a comment on the mistaken assumption that what some of us would do in real life is what Mario will do (and I'm not debating the wisdom of his approach, I'm just taking note of it).

He gave guys the chance to try to find new spots while still employed. We were trying to place Gattis somewhere else starting in December. The investigation came in January. And Ponce was told he would not be the OC after Gattis, so he looked elsewhere too.

I realize this is not the approach that a lot of board posters prefer, and I am not defending it or justifying it. But Mario has tried to help find landing spots for both the players who left in the Portal and certain coaches.

Gattis knew he was gone. If he would have moved faster, he wouldn't be in this spot now. He's failed upward for a while, this time his luck just ran out.

Allegedly.

Did anything details of this investigation ever get released? I can’t keep up with 1,000 post threads

Advertisement
Poor take, just wrong on so many levels. There are quite literally 100 OC’s that don’t have talented guys and yet produce explosive and efficient offenses.

Greg Bryant is clearly waiting on us to make a hire, otherwise he would have signed somewhere already. I’d reckon we add another weapon as well on top of that, or take two if Bryant goes elsewhere. But even if we add just one guy, we’re still putting up 27+ ppg if it’s Johns of Littrell. No doubt in my mind. I mean there’s been way more too many teams with worse personnel that experiences success on offense, due to their coaches’ ability to scheme players open and pinpoint weaknesses.
What you just described is a marginal improvement to an awful offense. We averaged 23.7 ppg last season. Let’s say for arguments sake we improve to around 27/28/29 ppg per game…that would still put us in the middle of the pack in the ACC with the likes of Syracuse and outside the top 50 in ppg nationally.

Sure, a coordinator can scheme around certain deficiencies—but our WR talent is absolutely atrocious and even he can scheme guys open, we don’t even have guys that we can trust to consistently catch the ball. Not to mention zero depth at qb, question marks and poor depth at rb, no real experience at TE, etc.

Agreed. But then why not just do it come November 26? If it's being suggested that the firing was drawn out because of some internal investigation/process that had to be carried out then that's separate from performance (and if true, not too pleasing that he'd still have a job months after November 26 and some alleged off-field stuff forced his departure?). I don't know. I am twisting myself in knots. Nothing about the firing makes sense to me. Mario should have canned him a long time ago.
You are totally ignoring the clear comments made by people close to the situation.

-Decision to terminate Gattis was made in November.
-Mario gave Gattis time to find another job ... soft landing. That was going to take the
"delay" into December at least.
-In the meantime as termination documents were being prepared non-football related issues surfaced and were brought
to the attention of HR. At THAT time it switched from being a football performance related termination to an investigation
via HR that lead to a "for cause" termination.

That is roughly the timeline.

Advertisement
Without reading anything at all

Did we get out of owing gattis since it was an HR related firing?

Advertisement
Yes! We went from we ****** to we ****ed and some expect this passionate group to be patient and just listen to “its complex guysm… trust the loafer…”

Take us all back to, ok, it’s Mario, we have money, open check book, phone ringing with interest, we talkin a new conference, we talkin Nike, stadiums…

Fast forward we’re 5-7, roster incomplete, lost top recruit getting played by Deion, need a new OC and DC (very important because Mario is not a good game day coach)

Excuse time is over!

Let’s win!
When you've lost Angry Ibis, you've lost the fanbase.

Dark days ahead indeed.

BREAKING NEWS:

Luther "Uncle Luke Campbell" hired as Offensive and Defensive coodinator roles for our University of Miami Hurricanes.

Bringing his own brand of Miami flava to the grid iron, Coach Campbell promises a "Me So Horny" offensive attack with the other side of the ball held fast by a "Nasty as They Wanna Be" philosophy.

Miami is fuccin!!!

View attachment 228479

I was taking a dump this morning and listened to the uncle Luke twitter space for about 5mins, and Luke and said “Miami can’t be replacing coordinators every year”

When the crazy people are making sense you know something is up

What you just described is a marginal improvement to an awful offense. We averaged 23.7 ppg last season. Let’s say for arguments sake we improve to around 27/28/29 ppg per game…that would still put us in the middle of the pack in the ACC with the likes of Syracuse and outside the top 50 in ppg nationally.

Sure, a coordinator can scheme around certain deficiencies—but our WR talent is absolutely atrocious and even he can scheme guys open, we don’t even have guys that we can trust to consistently catch the ball. Not to mention zero depth at qb, question marks and poor depth at rb, no real experience at TE, etc.
I should have specified 27 ppg in conference play, because yes - 27 is pretty mediocre. It might also be on the shorter end of the guesstimate given the impact those two coaches can have…

I’d like to think with a lineup of Young/Bryant/Restrepo (or insert another transfer) plus our depth in the backfield, we can score closer to 30 ppg against anyone not named Clemson/A&M/NC St. I just think you’re underselling the potential of an innovative OC and clouding your perception with anger and emotion.

I was taking a dump this morning and listened to the uncle Luke twitter space for about 5mins, and Luke and said “Miami can’t be replacing coordinators every year”

Loved your lead in btw. Really set the stage, established where the story was going...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
Well, let's say Mario is the kind of guy that, under normal circumstances, would have their coaches continuing to do their job until they find a new job. So let's say Mario did indeed quietly notify Gattis he'd for be let go for performance in November and was fully expecting to pay his buyout etc. while encouraging Gattis to pursue other jobs. Gattis also knows that if he gets another OC gig he doesnt get his buyout so he's in no hurry either. So Gattis is out recruiting in December while Mario is searching for a replacement. All of the suddenly the off field stuff comes to light. Gattis is taken off the trail and suspended pending an HR investigation, which is why he's nowhere to be found in January, but still employed because now the AD knows they can keep their buyout if they fire him for cause. Once the HR stuff processes, Mario can then "officially" fire him for cause, saving buyout money.

All speculation and guesswork but that's what I got lol

i think this is exactly what happened, give or take a fact or two.

Advertisement

The longer I live, the more convinced I am that this planet is used by other planets as a lunatic asylum.
- George Bernard Shaw

I’m all aboard the Miami express….just waiting for it to move….waiting….waiting…waiting

Just need “our guys and the culture” to beat MTSU and Duke.

As embarrassing as those losses were, for some reason getting obliterated by FSU hurt more. Maybe it's because we spent the last few years mocking FSU fans for thinking they got Nick Saban, and then their joke of a HC nearly pitched a shutout and showed mercy to Cristobal by not dropping a 50 burger on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back