Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. Appreciate that.

So, does that mean Mario had no intention to fire him for his performance and was forced to fire him for alleged off-field reasons? Because if you're going to fire him for performance, naturally you do that right after season concludes.

Again, this is no criticism of you, it's just a comment on the mistaken assumption that what some of us would do in real life is what Mario will do (and I'm not debating the wisdom of his approach, I'm just taking note of it).

He gave guys the chance to try to find new spots while still employed. We were trying to place Gattis somewhere else starting in December. The investigation came in January. And Ponce was told he would not be the OC after Gattis, so he looked elsewhere too.

I realize this is not the approach that a lot of board posters prefer, and I am not defending it or justifying it. But Mario has tried to help find landing spots for both the players who left in the Portal and certain coaches.

Gattis knew he was gone. If he would have moved faster, he wouldn't be in this spot now. He's failed upward for a while, this time his luck just ran out.

Allegedly.

Advertisement
Not to be a dyck, but y DVD? He was already a CB coach here, and it was widely known the room didn’t respect him b/c he tried to be too much of a pal.
Because he landed us…

Season 3 Nevermind GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Agreed. But then why not just do it come November 26? If it's being suggested that the firing was drawn out because of some internal investigation/process that had to be carried out then that's separate from performance (and if true, not too pleasing that he'd still have a job months after November 26 and some alleged off-field stuff forced his departure?). I don't know. I am twisting myself in knots. Nothing about the firing makes sense to me. Mario should have canned him a long time ago.
I wonder if they were trying to kill two birds with one stone. They knew of the off field stuff but they had to wait until they could prove it, or until it made its way through HR or Title IX or wherever, so the timing lined up where they could fire him once for cause instead of firing him in Nov and having the off field stuff drag on past when they'd have to pay a buyout. Just guessing at this point

yea i'm sure if we hired that "middle to top P5" up and comer it would go soooo well here and he would be given all the leeway that a guy who is an up and comer needs. Cause if there is one thing Miami fans are known for, its patience. Just look at the patience in hiring what is hopefully the right guy in a month where you can't install and offense or do anything else. But its important we do it in everyone's perceived right allotted time.
You're moving the goal posts and creating strawman arguments left and right. And candidly, they are somewhere between terrible and incoherent.

Last year we hired a Broyles winner and it got us in the toilet. We hired a DB coach from Georgia. Also a disaster. The shine of the big name and credentials wears off quickly once the results come in. based on your patience comment, you would advocate that we should have kept Gattis for another year?

I don't really care what this message board would think, and neither should Mario. I am sure the LSU boards were indifferent at best when Joe Brady was hired. But I will say, the names on here that people are most excited about, for the record, are the guys you are saying that they would not be in favor of (Littrell being one of them).

It is fine to reasonably take your time to identify the right guy, but this is two off-seasons in a row where something in the process is not right. It simply does not take this long to hire people. You identify, you do due diligence, you interview, and you negotiate an offer, and if you are smart, you have an on-going working list to do the first two steps before it gets to this point.

It is ok to be critical of Mario and this process and realize that it may wind up ok in the end.

Advertisement
I suspect that if Gattis had not been caught in this alleged verboten act, he'd be the OC in 2023. Cristobal had already set the stage by defending Gattis and saying that his offense worked perfectly well at Michigan. And before the Cristo-bros boo and hiss and claim Cristobal made the decision to fire Gattis during the season, I would advise them that they aren't going to fool anyone into thinking Cristobal was willing take decisive action.
Sounds to me like Mario already knew he had a way out and was just giving the company line of "support". Because if Gattis could prove that the termination was due to performance, then possibly he would be subject to his buyout.

I wonder if they were trying to kill two birds with one stone. They knew of the off field stuff but they had to wait until they could prove it, or until it made its way through HR or Title IX or wherever, so the timing lined up where they could fire him once for cause instead of firing him in Nov and having the off field stuff drag on past when they'd have to pay a buyout. Just guessing at this point
Sure, but that's why I mentioned earlier I saw Gattis recruiting in late December IIRC. So that lends credence that whatever off-field stuff happened, it didn't come out until January. And I'm just venting here and I understand all the potential reasons, but it's like, why would he still be employed in December to begin with?!

Advertisement
BREAKING NEWS:

Luther "Uncle Luke Campbell" hired as Offensive and Defensive coodinator roles for our University of Miami Hurricanes.

Bringing his own brand of Miami flava to the grid iron, Coach Campbell promises a "Me So Horny" offensive attack with the other side of the ball held fast by a "Nasty as They Wanna Be" philosophy.

Miami is fuccin!!!

11cUawBJStp2wM.gif

Advertisement
I honestly believe that Mario will do great things here and that he is the best recruiter in the country. But his hiring process and evaluation is ****. Please remind what Alonzos job is again, I'm sincerely asking.
Seems like absolutely NO ONE can light a fire under this guy

Advertisement
Would love nothing more than a couple of good hires.....

Yes! We went from we ****** to we ****ed and some expect this passionate group to be patient and just listen to “its complex guysm… trust the loafer…”

Take us all back to, ok, it’s Mario, we have money, open check book, phone ringing with interest, we talkin a new conference, we talkin Nike, stadiums…

Fast forward we’re 5-7, roster incomplete, lost top recruit getting played by Deion, need a new OC and DC (very important because Mario is not a good game day coach)

Excuse time is over!

Let’s win!

Sure, but that's why I mentioned earlier I saw Gattis recruiting in late December IIRC. So that lends credence that whatever off-field stuff happened, it didn't come out until January. And I'm just venting here and I understand all the potential reasons, but it's like, why would he still be employed in December to begin with?!
Well, let's say Mario is the kind of guy that, under normal circumstances, would have their coaches continuing to do their job until they find a new job. So let's say Mario did indeed quietly notify Gattis he'd for be let go for performance in November and was fully expecting to pay his buyout etc. while encouraging Gattis to pursue other jobs. Gattis also knows that if he gets another OC gig he doesnt get his buyout so he's in no hurry either. So Gattis is out recruiting in December while Mario is searching for a replacement. All of the suddenly the off field stuff comes to light. Gattis is taken off the trail and suspended pending an HR investigation, which is why he's nowhere to be found in January, but still employed because now the AD knows they can keep their buyout if they fire him for cause. Once the HR stuff processes, Mario can then "officially" fire him for cause, saving buyout money.

All speculation and guesswork but that's what I got lol

BREAKING NEWS:

Luther "Uncle Luke Campbell" hired as Offensive and Defensive coodinator roles for our University of Miami Hurricanes.

Bringing his own brand of Miami flava to the grid iron, Coach Campbell promises a "Me So Horny" offensive attack with the other side of the ball held fast by a "Nasty as They Wanna Be" philosophy.

Miami is fuccin!!!

View attachment 228479
I mean, if she is asking, I'm willing to take one for the team.

Why are you here? Lol.

I swear some of y’all take it past moping and actively root for chaos and dismay. Moping is fine given the circumstances thus far…but hoping for these disaster scenarios? This is what it looks like.

Who is hoping for disaster?

If we finally hire worthwhile coaches, the board will be excited. But some are just ready to mock that…why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back