Tell me why Wisconsin, Michigan, and UNC...

It's almost as if people go out of their way to be conservative. I feel like this is the narrative "Their QB is one of the best in the country, their rb's are solid, the o-line should be better than last year with more experience, their wideouts are inexperienced but talented, and their D as whole should be better with an attacking 4-3 style that they are bred for so logically 7 wins is the most I see " ... Me personally I see 10 wins

People are afraid to be optimistic because they looked like potatoes being optimistic with the last two head coaches. I am all in. I don't see why we can't win 10 games this season. We have talent at critical spots including QB, and we now have a man who proved to be a very good coach at the highest level of CFB at the helm.

Advertisement
It will all come down to mental toughness for this team.

Physically, we have the specimens to compete (and win) against anyone on our schedule and beyond.

But will the wide-open receiver drop the wide open pass (ex: Phillip Dorsett toasting the ND Corner on our first offensive play last time we played them -- and then dropping a wide open pass; Scott WSU Bowl game)? Will we continue to be plagued by dumb false starts and unsportsmanlike penalties?

I think that will either make or break this team and is what separates the good from the elite.

Why did we even hire Richt and fire Golden if we don't expect Richt is going to do any better (and some of you mouth breathers are even predicting a worse season)

For those (and most) teams, I think it boils down to scheduling.

Michigan beat Oregon State, UNLV, BYU, Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Penn State, and Florida in the bowl game.

Wisconsin beat Miami (OH), Troy, Hawai'i, Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, and USC in the bowl game.

UNC beat NCA&T, Illinois, Delaware, Georgia Tech, Wake, UVA, Pitt, Duke, (us), VT in overtime, and NCST.

If you compare those wins to our 2016 schedule:

FAMU, FAU, App St, Georgia Tech, FSU, UNC, VT, ND, Pitt, UVA, NCST, Duke

I see 8 teams that are on par with the teams beaten by Wisky, UNC, and Meatchicken: FAMU, FAU, App, GT, NCST, Duke, UVA, and Pitt.

FSU, VT away on short rest, and ND will be very difficult.

UNC is my "could go either way" team - getting them at home should help.

With our schedule I see 10 wins IF we beat the teams we should, take care of UNC at home, and beat ONE of FSU, VT, or ND. Totally doable, and Richt has a coaching history of doing just this.

Ridiculous quibbling. Wisconsin had a mummy at QB and its 3rd new HC in 4 years. They were devoid of talent offensively. If that team can win 10 playing in what most consider a better conference then we absolutely have to expect 10.

...can win 10+ games last year but we can't expect 10 here.

Wisconsin was on its 3rd HC in 4 years. First year HC. No QB. Zero passing threat. P5 conference. 10 wins.

New HC at Michigan. Bad QB that Iowa dumped. Coming off a 5 win season. They won 10.

UNC was engulfed in NCAA ****. Coming off a 7 or 8 win season. Embattled HC. They win 11.

Poor mouthers, tell me why UM can't expect to do at least as well as sorry *** Wisconsin.

I believe we can win 10 with a veteran coach and the talent we have. only issue is the linebackers, but they have been here in January, plus for them. They are close and are warriors.

Why did we even hire Richt and fire Golden if we don't expect Richt is going to do any better (and some of you mouth breathers are even predicting a worse season)

Physically, we have the specimens to compete (and win) against anyone on our schedule and beyond.

But will the wide-open receiver drop the wide open pass (ex: Phillip Dorsett toasting the ND Corner on our first offensive play last time we played them -- and then dropping a wide open pass; Scott WSU Bowl game)? Will we continue to be plagued by dumb false starts and unsportsmanlike penalties?

I think that will either make or break this team and is what separates the good from the elite.
I just proved with that 3 team list that you don't have to be "elite" to win 10 games. We don't have to be perfect or he the mentally toughest team in football. We just have to improve some.

Advertisement
Hey I'm still freakin' COKERized, let alone Shannon-and-Goldenized... It's like being kicked in the head, nuts, and *** every Saturday in the fall for 15 **** years, so yeah it's gonna take me some time rub some of Richt's Wonder Ointment on those tender spots before I'm fully healed.

(Still agree we win 10 games.)

(Terror being gradually replaced with cautious optimism...)

...can win 10+ games last year but we can't expect 10 here.

Wisconsin was on its 3rd HC in 4 years. First year HC. No QB. Zero passing threat. P5 conference. 10 wins.

New HC at Michigan. Bad QB that Iowa dumped. Coming off a 5 win season. They won 10.

UNC was engulfed in NCAA ****. Coming off a 7 or 8 win season. Embattled HC. They win 11.

Poor mouthers, tell me why UM can't expect to do at least as well as sorry *** Wisconsin.

I believe we can win 10 with a veteran coach and the talent we have. only issue is the linebackers, but they have been here in January, plus for them. They are close and are warriors.

We have some issues for sure. Do you think Wisconsin, Michigan and UNC were issue-free going into last season?

We no question are going to win 10 games this season...
The only people who don't think so, are scary *** Canes fans who are weak, timid & afraid of success.

It's like everybody forgot what the standard is around here. I bet those same folks were a little upset that Goldilocks was fired.

We have our easiest out of conference schedule in years. The only games people should see us as under dogs would be fsu, unc, and notre Dame.

Notre Dame lost half their **** team to the draft and to Indiana prisons last weekend so we have a good shot

We have played fsu very tight the last two years even with our **** show coaching and they don't have a qb so we have a solid shot..

UNC. We probably have a better team than unc just have to prove it

I may be willing to say VT since it's a night game on the road so that's four games. No way we lose all four, we split and finish with 10 wins

I'm not saying accept losses to these guys but if we can even win 1 or 2 of these, we shouldn't lose another game on the schedule or it would be a disappointment

What? This is our most difficult OOC schedule since 2012 (the last time we played ND). Cincinnati, Florida and Nebraska don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of anyone anymore.
Are you trying to tell me that you'd rather play those teams than famu, Florida Atlantic, app state, and notre Dame who just lost 6 players to the draft and possibly more with the arrests?

Im not sure what world Nebraska is worse than famu Florida Atlantic and app state

Conveniently leave out the top 10 team we are playing on the road.
Notre Dame lost six players to the draft. They are not the best team on our schedule. Fsu is better than them and that's one game out of four in our ooc schedule that the rest are cupcakes.

I even mentioned in my original post that we would be under dogs to notre Dame so I'm not sure what you're getting at? They aren't world beaters and it'll be a tough game but I'll take three guaranteed wins in fau, famu, and app state and one toss up game ooc any year

Advertisement
I get it - I'm sure many of these writers feel burned by thinking "this year Miami is back" over the last 10 years. I definitely have.

- We haven't won 10 games since 2003
- We've finished in Top 25 once since 2005
- We haven't won a Bowl game since 2006

That's an ugly run.

That being said, if we just beat the teams we should've last year - Cincinnati and Wash St. - we're a 10 win team. Even a small upgrade in coaching gets us to 10 wins last year, so you'd think Richt would get the benefit of the doubt this year.

There's only 3 teams in the pres-season Top 25 on our schedule - FSU, UNC, ND. We lose those 3 and win a bowl game, and we're a 10 win team.

Doesn't seem that difficult, but it's been a loooong time since it actually worked out that way.

I just proved with that 3 team list that you don't have to be "elite" to win 10 games. We don't have to be perfect or he the mentally toughest team in football. We just have to improve some.

No disrespect, but those teams were light years ahead of us when it came to mental tougheness. We literally aren't even on the same page as them when it comes to penalties. Of the Top 20 most penalized teams in College (we were second), only 1 won more than 10 games.

Wisconsin was especially sound.

Still, no one our team (not counting Coley's HB pass in the bowl game) came close to the Michigan punters eff up.

I think were going to shock people this year. Depth on the DL & an Elite Qb goes a long way in college football.

I would be very disappointed if we didn't win 10 games. Our scheme changes fit our personnel better, and we have a proven play caller as an OC. We should be the best team in the Coastal at getting to the QB, and that usually means you are winning your division.

Advertisement
Michigan played three top 25 teams during the regular season and lost to all three. They padded their resume with 9 chumps and a win against the worst 10 win team ever in their bowl game. Harbaugh didn't bring in a bunch of new players, he inherited a solid squad that was underutilized by the previous staff. If anything, Mark Richt is inheriting a more talented squad playing a similarly soft schedule. There's a big difference between a 10 win team and a playoff team. This year's Miami team is not playoff capable but they're easily a ten win team. Good starting point.

No disrespect, but those teams were light years ahead of us when it came to mental tougheness. We literally aren't even on the same page as them when it comes to penalties. Of the Top 20 most penalized teams in College (we were second), only 1 won more than 10 games.

Still, no one our team (not counting Coley's HB pass in the bowl game) came close to the Michigan punters eff up.

How do you know how mentally tough Wisconsin and NC were?

Advertisement
Notre Dame lost six players to the draft. They are not the best team on our schedule. Fsu is better than them and that's one game out of four in our ooc schedule that the rest are cupcakes.

I even mentioned in my original post that we would be under dogs to notre Dame so I'm not sure what you're getting at? They aren't world beaters and it'll be a tough game but I'll take three guaranteed wins in fau, famu, and app state and one toss up game ooc any year

I agree FSU is better than ND, but we are talking about the OOC schedule.

I'm saying playing at Notre Dame and at App State is more difficult than Nebraska and Cincy (and it's not even close). Not sure why people are looking past App State, who has more votes in the Coaches than half of our ACC schedule.

So Wisconsin having less penalties than us negates every advantage we had over them?

How do you know how mentally tough Wisconsin and NC were?

I watched a ton of UNC last year (gf at the time was an alum). They were supremely overrated, but they didn't make many mistakes or have a lot of miscues.

Fedoras a legit coach. His players were rarely out of position, and they maximized their abilities, which is how they were able to hang w an overmatched Clemson squad. They also got better every week after that wet fart against SC in the first week.

Last edited:

So Wisconsin having less penalties than us negates every advantage we had over them?

Less penties, drops, missed assignments.

Outside of Clemson, there's not a squad we lost to last yr where we didn't have the superior players.

Advertisement
Back