Super Regionals Here We Go

Just a note.

Vegas has Miami with the second best odds right now to win the CWS. Only behind Louisville.

We are -550 to win our SR. With BC at +350.

Vegas is generally a better predictor than any talking head or message board poster.

Advertisement
Just a note.

Vegas has Miami with the second best odds right now to win the CWS. Only behind Louisville.

Vegas is generally a better predictor than any talking head or message board poster.

Clearly we should win this weekend. I expect us to. I hope Fsu beats UF.

Okay so here is what I hope happens this weekend!

Fsu advances
UC Santa Barbara
Us of course!
TCU
TT
Zona
OK St
Coastal Carolina

Just a note.

Clearly we should win this weekend. I expect us to. I hope Fsu beats UF.

Okay so here is what I hope happens this weekend!

Fsu advances
UC Santa Barbara
Us of course!
TCU
TT
Zona
OK St
Coastal Carolina

+10000000000

I only read NJShore's post but it is highly logical. Over the past 30-years, Texas, Miami, South Carolina, Oregon State, Fresno State and LSU won multiple titles. Only Miami, LSU and Texas won with different teams. The other teams repeated. During the past 100-years, USC has won 12, Miami 4, LSU 6, Texas 6, Arizona 4 and Arizona State 5. The data shows that this sport is much more random than basketball or football. When one takes the scholarship limitations and randomness into account, how can they say that Morris should be fired.

Even with the limitations we are back to top-6 if we make Omaha this year. These schools can provide 4-to-5 times the amount of scholarships. That is a colossal advantage unless you are Vanderbilt, Rice or Stanford and 3/4 of your school is on scholarship.

Advertisement
These schools can provide 4-to-5 times the amount of scholarships.

So other schools can provide 47 to 58 scholarships for 27 players. Makes sense.

At LSU, for example, thanks to the TOPS scholarship program, every LSU player is on a full scholarship. They use the baseball scholarships actually just to fill in the gaps that TOPS doesn't cover.

I wouldn't expect you to understand this or to know anything about how public schools have a huge advantage though

These schools can provide 4-to-5 times the amount of scholarships.

So other schools can provide 47 to 58 scholarships for 27 players. Makes sense.

At LSU, for example, thanks to the TOPS scholarship program, every LSU player is on a full scholarship. They use the baseball scholarships actually just to fill in the gaps that TOPS doesn't cover.

I wouldn't expect you to understand this or to know anything about how public schools have a huge advantage though

Naturally, you ***** up basic facts.

(1) The TOPS program is only for residents of Louisiana. So the 16 LSU players who aren't from Louisiana don't get any TOPS money.
(2) There are academic requirements, so not even every kid from Louisiana gets it.

Good work.

Advertisement
ILCane - You are absolutely right. They do not understand "numbers".

In Georgia, there is the Hope scholarship and Florida has the same scholarship under a different name. All students that: (1.) maintain a B- average; and (2.) are accepted by Georgia (or any other state school); receive a 100% scholarship. How many Georgia schools are giving their "star athletes" whatever resources are necessary?

No only that, but the cost of tuition for Georgia, Florida, Fsu, etc... is respectively ~$11,622, $8,954 and $9,280. Miami tuition is $44,400. Teams give out 11.7 scholarships versus 25 players. The funding gap for public school players is $121,256 or $4,850 per player. The funding gap for Miami is $590,520 or $23,621 per player. That equates to a difference of 4.87.

Needless to say, our 3 resident "Einstens" will not grasp this concept. Other facts: (1.) Vanderbilt meets "100% of ALL demonstrated needs" so scholarships do not hinder them at all; (2.) Stanford has 900 funded athletic scholarships (most in country); and (3.) 58% of Rice's incoming students receive a minimum of $41,379 in financial aid per annum.

You guys are completely in the dark if you don't get that Miami is pouring tons of academic and financial aid into these athletes as well. We're not giving kids 25% and then saying "good luck".

Conversely, scholarships help us IMMENSELY in basketball and football. We can say that we offer 5x the value. Athens and Oxford are nice places, but the rest of the SEC is either a dump or endless strip and outdoor malls. People complain about Joe Robbie, but that helps us as well. We want city kids from South Florida, not the Bubbas, so the hindrances in baseball are HUGE advantages for football.

Each SEC school has a "foundation". My old boss sat on the Dawgs foundation. This foundation pays the players and does all of the dirty work. It has zero connections to the school itself. When the SEC schools need direct contributions then the individuals contribute, but never the foundation. I was in Little Rock with a Razorback foundation Board Member. The Tysons, Waltons and Hunts spearheaded $150 million directly to Arkansas for stadium upgrades and have given countless millions to the Foundation. The Foundation does the dirty work.

Last story. We lived in Atlanta and saw 4 'Miami-GTech' series while living there. We met close to 10 families whose children wanted to attend UM and play baseball for them. The Heyward's were the only family that could fund it. The other ultimately played for Tech or the Dawgs. Obviously, we prefer baseball players from Miami, but imagine having to compete with Florida's version of the Hope scholarship AND 4.87x the tuition.

Forget baseball. As of today, 2016, what diploma is more valuable: (1.) UF; (2.) FSU; and (3.) Miami. As of today, Miami is much better. UF and Miami are now equally ranked, but Miami has 4x the endowment per student and affords tens of thousands more internship opportunities. In Miami, you are one of 9,000 versus one of 30,000 at the state schools.

The NCAA is hindering students with these requirements. Let the child get the BEST education possible. If Miami, USC or THE Cardinal start dominating, then so be it!

Advertisement
People also don't understand what "need based" means. Those schools aren't handing out 100% scholarships to everyone. If your parents have decent incomes, which is likely if you're qualified to go to Stanford or Vandy, then you have an expected family contribution as outlined by the FAFSA. They're going to pay something. Quit acting like every college in America is handing out full baseball scholarships like candy.

You just proved my point you are comparing things to another sport, **** coach K has gone through some droughts too with a ton of nba guys but lets not stray from the point, the point im making is yall seem to not know what baseball is, and how its like, its not sport where the same team wins every year, its just not, so you can throw your expectations out the window because they are unreal no matter who you have on the team or who is coaching

Just in the last 10 years:

South Carolina made three straight championship appearances. Oregon State, North Carolina, Virginia, and Vanderbilt all made back to back appearances. UCLA made two appearances.

Don't tell me that the players and coaches don't matter when 2/3 of the championship series participants have made multiple appearances in that time frame.

So did we and we just went to omaha last year and might go this year, those teams you mentioned what did they do before? Or after? They had 2-3 year stretches just like us

This is what I get for reading the response. We are not lamenting the loss of the Di Mares but lamenting the loss of the 'potential' Hialeah students.

You are obviously not from Miami. I grew up in Gables. What makes South Florida baseball so potent is the rivalry between the Cuban and American athletes. My brother played in Khoury league with Alex R. and I played with Lowell. For every college-level player that can afford Gulliver or Ransom, you are at losing least 4-5.

Morris himself says that he loses 4-5 top tier players that end up in a state school. 4.5 out of 9 is 50% of your team.

My point is that if you give Morris back those 4-5 players, which Fraser had, the results would be markedly better.

Advertisement
Ron Fraser built something great.

And won the exact same amount of championships as Jim Morris.

And has a worse postseason record than Jim Morris.

Ron Fraser is a legend and this program wouldn't exist in it's current state without him. But stop with the waxing poetic about his legacy. Jim Morris has held up his end.

Of course, you have many other examples of national seeds losing to Ivy League teams that are on their fourth game of the weekend.

I have several examples of national seeds going 0-2 against subpar teams.

I take that you think losing one game in a Regional that we won is worse than going 0-2?

That would fit perfectly with your personality.

Got it. So a great team could go 34-22. Or 28-28. Wins and losses and game results don't matter.

No.

One game doesn't matter.

I'm not the goofball making the argument that games don't matter at all. That's you and your butt buddy. You think only one game matters (the championship).

Stop projecting on me.

Advertisement
Back