Spring Game

Advertisement
Thanks for this man. Wasn’t able to watch the game, but I trust your DB assessments. The breakdown of the key plays is definitely appreciated.

From what you’ve seen of Damari Brown in HS, do you think he’s got the potential to be as good as his older brother?

How did the Safeties look?
Im waiting to see what Damari's speed looks like in live action, so idk yet.

Stafford has the ability to be a very good Corner at this level, I'm just not sure about the teaching he'll be getting.

Kam looked like Kam.

Markeith looked out of sorts in coverage, he's similar to James in that manner, they play like they don't know their keys & are simply reacting as opposed to anticipating.

We need some help at Safety from the Portal IMO. I think we need another Corner too if they're not going to move Jaden back Outside.

But Safety is definite need for the Spring Portal.

I’m gonna say this & maybe I’m being premature so please don’t kill me (or do if you feel like it lol)...

But Terry Roberts... Yeesh; he looked like a Special Teamer the whole game/scrimmage.
I think he's not fully recovered from injury, his Iowa film looked a lot better.

Saw a BOB type team..meaning 3/4 games will come down bounce of ball..tbh this team could win 9 games but **** has to break our way and guys have to execute in crucial situations..similar to 2020 ..that said they could also be 6-6 lol

Advertisement
Im waiting to see what Damari's speed looks like in live action, so idk yet.

Stafford has the ability to be a very good Corner at this level, I'm just not sure about the teaching he'll be getting.

Kam looked like Kam.

Markeith looked out of sorts in coverage, he's similar to James in that manner, they play like they don't know their keys & are simply reacting as opposed to anticipating.

We need some help at Safety from the Portal IMO. I think we need another Corner too if they're not going to move Jaden back Outside.

But Safety is definite need for the Spring Portal.
Unless something falls through there’s going to be a safety that’ll help that room quite a bit. They’ll be scrounging for a cb too.

Btw I warned you about what you’d see and that’s why I didn’t bother watching. There’s just too many guys out , we need portal help and honestly spring games suck. It’s like the pro bowl, but worse. I don’t see them being around much longer. They’re a total waste, you lose a practice and real teaching for two hours of half *** football. Jmo.
They should let schools schedule a lower division school and play something closer to a real game. They also shouldn't count it as a practice.

J. - - - -
X restrepo, Ray Ray Joseph, C Young, George, Bain, HP, NKelly, the M brothers (that blown up play in the backfield by transfer lb), tvd (13/19 shy of 200), the defensive scheme disguises and the offensive play calling all offered reasons to lk fwd to this season.... Cohen was apparently out -last minute before the game, along with a host of other current and incoming players to join in the fall, make it even more promising...

I understand the effect of recent (last year's) disappointment on current expectations... But the gloom and even dismissiveness here are just as unjustified as the expectation that we would do great last year (with a battery of well known coaches that the previous year's recruited players did not pick on signing day capped off with a Big 10, 3 yards and a could of dust coordinator of the year who beat OSU on the 146th try.... This year: Even if we limit the sample to the Spring game, you almost have to overlook virtually every good thing to get to an expectation that we're * . It's like people are trying to validate their negative predictions by molding (more than just a little sanding), forcibly shoehorning the Spring game/event into their pregame lowered expectations... And I'm sorry, but there are more than enough reasons to be encouraged about this upcoming season drawn from, among other things, the Spring game...
And I get that it's ironic to call out negativity in a negative way lol. I mean it to be more of c'mon... rather than criticism.

Last edited:
Advertisement
*Colby and X are 💪🏻

And if I trusted Brashard and Jacoby a little more then I would have absolutely no problem with this WR unit.

*RB room needs an infusion of talent ASAP

*Guidry's defense really makes things hard on QB's. He does some disguising and routinely drops DE's into coverage while blitzing LB's and DB's. Guidry blitzed from at least 4 different positions tonight...Mike LB, Will LB, Nickel and boundary Corner. And like we spoke about before spring, he had guardrails in place so that zones weren't voided (like manny diaz).

I thought we saw a few coverage sacks because of this defensive approach.

WR's will look like they're open but then DE or LB will drop underneath.

*A unit of Taylor, Kelly, Dean and Bain can be pretty good IMO. Bain is absolutely elite and Kelly is coming into his own. (he dropped into coverage a lot today also)

*We finally have a REAL Linebacker and he wears #51.

*I saw a ton of Quarters coverage, a lot of man coverage (Cover-1) and some Cover-3. Guidry's overall approach on defense is very aggressive though. (which I love) Safeties are always shallow at a depth of about 10 yards. Corners do not backpedal, they "kick step" so they can play tighter coverage on short routes. And Guidry likes to send pressure from all different spots. It's an overall aggressive approach from front to back. I also saw us utilize at least 3/4 different fronts. I saw a lot of contested throws and I don't remember the last time that our Linebackers got their hands on this many passes. Also, our DE's dropped into coverage a lot.

*I liked our running game. I saw a ton of counter. Whoever the RT is, he's moving!

We ran GT Counter and he **** near had to push the RG out of his way.

*The toothpick is actually a really good pass rusher. I know he has a slight frame and maybe can't hold up on run downs, but he definitely needs to see time on passing situations. He looks good coming around the edge.

*Losing Cormani and Jackson hurt because we desperately need CB's.

*I think the slot WR position looks good for years to come but we definitely need to sign some elite outside WR's. Other than Young we're small and pedestrian out there. George is not a true outside guy IMO. I thought Frank was gonna be that guy but 🥱🤷🏻‍♂️🤮

*Colby and X are 💪🏻

And if I trusted Brashard and Jacoby a little more then I would have absolutely no problem with this WR unit.

*Guidry's defense really makes things hard on QB's. He does some disguising and routinely drops DE's into coverage while blitzing LB's and DB's. Guidry blitzed from at least 4 different positions tonight...Mike LB, Will LB, Nickel and boundary Corner. And like we spoke about before spring, he had guardrails in place so that zones weren't voided (like manny diaz).

*A unit of Taylor, Kelly, Dean and Bain can be pretty good IMO. Bain is absolutely elite and Kelly is coming into his own. (he dropped into coverage a lot today also)

*I saw a ton of Quarters coverage, a lot of man coverage (Cover-1) and some Cover-3. Guidry's overall approach on defense is very aggressive though. (which I love) Safeties are always shallow at a depth of about 10 yards. Corners do not backpedal, they "kick step" so they can play tighter coverage on short routes. And Guidry likes to send pressure from all different spots. It's an overall aggressive approach from front to back. I also saw us utilize at least 3/4 different fronts. I saw a lot of contested throws and I don't remember the last time that our Linebackers got their hands on this many passes. Also, our DE's dropped into coverage a lot.

*I liked our running game. I saw a ton of counter. Whoever the RT is, he's moving!

*The toothpick is actually a really good pass rusher. I know he has a slight frame and maybe can't hold up on run downs, but he definitely needs to see time on passing situations. He looks good coming around the edge.

*I think the slot WR position looks good for years to come but we definitely need to sign some elite outside WR's. Other than Young we're small and pedestrian out there. George is not a true outside guy IMO. I thought Frank was gonna be that guy but 🥱🤷🏻‍♂️🤮
spot on. corners looked solid though 7 2 22 and 16 --- biggest concern to me was TVD,

we cannot make the mistake of not using game 1 as practice. need to go all out and get as much out as possible so we are ready for a&m

I can’t figure you out. You go from ultra negative to reasonable depending upon n posts. …

Anyway, no, at the end of the day Rashada and Cormani dropped us out of the top 5. But the talent we did bring in was still rated Top 10 and I strongly believe it was underrated. Now watch Mario follow this up with another Top 10 class. And another. That’s when stacking chips starts delivering results on the field.

I am not giddy about 2023; we can easily go 6-6. A few breaks in the portal and a lot of luck can get us to 8 or 9 wins, too. But we’re still Frankenstein’s monster as a team.

Mario is a dynasty builder he’s not Lincoln Reilly or Lane Kiffin. He needs more talent than you to beat you. That takes time. But we will get there. Because he’s an unstoppable (if pondering) force in recruiting.
On the telecast last night ESPN said the class was ranked 5th 🤷🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
Caleb johnson
Lichtenstein
Saggopulu
Gore
Possibly cam McCormick
Cam McCormick is a culture guy so I'm good with it. Essentially a Udonis Haslem of a college football team. I saw him at one point between series gathering Gatorade/Powerade to pass out to the players with the trainers. Selfless, humble, team-first kinda guy that you want guys to imitate. Wasn't just him either, saw quite a few selfless moments where guys were being good "teammates". That stuff matters more than the average Joe realizes. All the talent in the world won't mean anything if the team chemistry is paper thin. Times get tough and games get tight, kids will fold.

Ditto for Lichtenstein. Sagapolu is here to help with transition of our Uso kids, present and future.

Johnson and Gore...I have no comment lol.

*Colby and X are 💪🏻

That Rt I believe was Francis

Advertisement
I can’t figure you out. You go from ultra negative to reasonable depending upon n posts. …

Anyway, no, at the end of the day Rashada and Cormani dropped us out of the top 5. But the talent we did bring in was still rated Top 10 and I strongly believe it was underrated. Now watch Mario follow this up with another Top 10 class. And another. That’s when stacking chips starts delivering results on the field.

I am not giddy about 2023; we can easily go 6-6. A few breaks in the portal and a lot of luck can get us to 8 or 9 wins, too. But we’re still Frankenstein’s monster as a team.

Mario is a dynasty builder he’s not Lincoln Reilly or Lane Kiffin. He needs more talent than you to beat you. That takes time. But we will get there. Because he’s an unstoppable (if pondering) force in recruiting.

It depends on the topic. I’ve been beating the drum for the need to use the portal heavily to balance things and felt we missed opportunities last year and the first round this year… thus my comment in the other thread about glad people are coming aboard the portal train… I’ve been saying the roster is still being built ahead of 2023…

I can be pretty **** negative when it comes to people lowering the expectations around Mario that they never would have for other staffs…giving mulligans, etc…

Mario appears to be adapting, including saying there will be a focused look at portal adds - now he needs to make them high quality adds using his recruiting excellence…

Advertisement
Back