Spring 2017 Track Thread for Miami Recruits

Advertisement
I love to see these track times, but these recruits will still develop in varying directions within the next 3-4 years - just like they did in high school. Marshon Lattimore never ran under a 11.8 100m in high school but just ran a 4.36 at the nfl combine. He is an outlier but, to state the obvious, most of these players need to enter a proper S&C program to reach their athletic peak.

Didn't you say just last week that someone can't run a 4.7 in highschool and then run a 4.3 in college?

I don't think Richards went from a 4.7 to a 4.3 in one year. Also, lattimore still ran a 4.48 at a high school combine

True, good point

I like the track times. The problem is now some people are using a singular data point to determine nearly everything. And, that's not on the guys digging up the info. That's just the nature of a message board. Swings on swings on swings.

Advertisement
I like the track times. The problem is now some people are using a singular data point to determine nearly everything. And, that's not on the guys digging up the info. That's just the nature of a message board. Swings on swings on swings.

It jumped the shark when I legitimately saw poster compare a high school recruit to Bo Jackson because of a track time.

:puzzled:

I don't mind the track stuff & appreciate Carol City & 1953 for keeping us up to date on it...

What shouldn't happen is this obsession over it to the point where people are discussing prospects strictly in terms of their track ability as if that's what determines what type of football player they'll be.

We should never get too caught up in track times that we forget the #1 rule which is,
Game film supersedes all.

Disagree... game film doesn't supercede all see Charlie Jones, lovon ponder, Willie cooper etc etc. rather you like it or not the better players always have an element of speed to their game. It's not end all be all ( Damarcus van dyke, Brandon ? etc. etch) but speed along with football IQ, recognition skills, ability Templar with in scheme etch etc all are key factors into a player being good/great.

Bottom line is you need NFL caliber players to win a national championship so that's what one should look for when looking at a prospect. Ive never seen a a team win a national championship without NFL caliber players on it. Never seen a slow team win a national title either.

if there is going to be attention to track times, create one sticky thread that people can post their assorted debatably relevant information in, let the OP edit the cumulative data in the first post.

Then start band hammering anyone who starts a ******* track thread.

Advertisement
Is this the football recruiting board or the track board?.

Im tired of scrolling rthrough threads and seeing track times.

Who let these **** baton smellers in this joint....mods need to clean it up...cause its bad enough we got to worry about 40 times..these clowns on here posting every 100 m time in the state of fla in every thread.

Prop Joe Out

I only come here for Hurricane Golf team updates. This irritates me too.

Advertisement
I don't mind the track stuff & appreciate Carol City & 1953 for keeping us up to date on it...

What shouldn't happen is this obsession over it to the point where people are discussing prospects strictly in terms of their track ability as if that's what determines what type of football player they'll be.

We should never get too caught up in track times that we forget the #1 rule which is,

Disagree... game film doesn't supercede all see Charlie Jones, lovon ponder, Willie cooper etc etc. rather you like it or not the better players always have an element of speed to their game. It's not end all be all ( Damarcus van dyke, Brandon ? etc. etch) but speed along with football IQ, recognition skills, ability Templar with in scheme etch etc all are key factors into a player being good/great.

Bottom line is you need NFL caliber players to win a national championship so that's what one should look for when looking at a prospect. Ive never seen a a team win a national championship without NFL caliber players on it. Never seen a slow team win a national title either.
Who's arguing in favor of slow players or not having NFL caliber players? When have I ever even suggested as much?

And, game film does supersede all... Everything else is only used to confirm what has already been seen on film.

The emphasis on track times on here has gone completely overboard, it's cool to look at & talk about some times but on the long list of things used to measure a player's talent, it's not even in the top 10.

Some of y'all are literally judging players based on what the run in track & not what they've done on the football field, that's just plain ridiculous.

Miami is recruiting Football players, not the track team, what's done on the Football field is what's most important when evaluating a player.

Harley in his heat posted a 200m in 21.88 into a 3.6 meter per second head wind which equals to a 21.48 with no wind. Just missed the finals held later where the wind was behind the runners. Kids speed is really dropping last year he was in the upper 22's.

Bandy continues to improve slowly but surely as he made a persona best of 11.10--100m best last year 11.24.

Anthony Schwartz won the 100m in 10.39 and finished 2nd in the 200m to Tyrese Cooper with 20.69 to Coopers 20.66 Schwartz"s 200m times in the 3rd fastest in the nation and his 100m is tied for 2nd in the US.

Thomas Burns posted a 36.04--300m hurdles by far the fastest time in the nation this year....next closest time Eric Edwards of Texas 36.44

Jermanie Byrd a CB (5-10/165) at STA ran a 14.02- 110M hurdles in the preliminaries - 3rd fastest in the US and a 37.86 which is the 10th fastest time in the US.

Jamal Walton a SS/FS from Miramar High (5-11/160) ran a 200m--in 20.66 in the preliminaries and a 20.75 in the finals--the 20.66 is tied for the fastest time in the nation this year with Tyrese Cooper.

[video=youtube_share;_cnvZJvwK4c]https://youtu.be/_cnvZJvwK4c[/video]

Advertisement

Who's arguing in favor of slow players or not having NFL caliber players? When have I ever even suggested as much?

And, game film does supersede all... Everything else is only used to confirm what has already been seen on film.

The emphasis on track times on here has gone completely overboard, it's cool to look at & talk about some times but on the long list of things used to measure a player's talent, it's not even in the top 10.

Some of y'all are literally judging players based on what the run in track & not what they've done on the football field, that's just plain ridiculous.

Miami is recruiting Football players, not the track team, what's done on the Football field is what's most important when evaluating a player.

I can agree that game film plays a part but to say it supersedes all is doing the same thing these guy who think speed is the only factor. They both play a part. Some of these guys look at a highlight tape and think they know everything about a players which is silly to me. I always thought you learn a lot about a player watching full game/games as opposed to a highlight tape.

Nonetheless, you want football players but you want football players who can run, have a passion for the game, football IQ etc. A guy can look good on tape but lack the physical attributes needed to be an impact players at the next level.

I can agree that game film plays a part but to say it supersedes all is doing the same thing these guy who think speed is the only factor. They both play a part. Some of these guys look at a highlight tape and think they know everything about a players which is silly to me. I always thought you learn a lot about a player watching full game/games as opposed to a highlight tape.

Nonetheless, you want football players but you want football players who can run, have a passion for the game, football IQ etc. A guy can look good on tape but lack the physical attributes needed to be an impact players at the next level.
I may be wrong on their meaning, but usually, when someone says game film, the mean a full, play by play recording of the entire game or time the player is on the field, not just highlights....

Advertisement
Back