Some early buzz from spring

Since you’re insistent on ”schooling” me, let me teach you something. On second thought, I’ll let you look up this word: Hyperbole.

What a stupid fūcking post. Most people that read it have common sense and understood that it was just meant for effect. You sound like you’re on the spectrum, maybe you should look into it. Good luck in maneuvering the verbal intricacies of the world, because so far it sounds like you’re having problems.

It's all about the Ū!

Advertisement
Thad Franklin has leaned up and is showing his athleticism in the passing game. Hands-catcher and very shifty for his size.
Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

Alphonso Jr was the best CB on the team before he got Covid & his career took a bit of downslide.

If he’s back healthy that bodes very well for the CB group.

He’s the most technically sound cover corner we have, under better coaching he should be able to secure a significant role if not be the starter at Boundary. I mean if we’re being honest, there’s really no reason to start Ivey if Blades & Stevenson are both good to go come Fall camp with Daryl Porter Jr coming & Malik Curtis emerging.

Plus we got Jaden Harris & Chris Graves coming in the Summer as well geared up & ready to go for Fall, we could have enough depth to not have to force ourselves to play any liabilities in the Secondary.

Still hope we add another LB from the Portal before Fall camp...

Still think we could’ve used another sure handed veteran at WR.
Definitely last chance for homie...

Advertisement
"15 seconds of grainy practice videos" is no longer a statement you could make. You have to be real old to say this cliche statement. You can shoot an entire practice with your phone regardless of the phone you have and it wont be "grainy" videos. Unless you shooting from 100 yards away with your phone. Technology is so advance now days most videos you'll see post online won't be grainy.

Somewhat unrelated, but why are the best porrn flicks in somewhat grainy form? Between this and flickering horizontal lines obstructing the best parts, it makes one want to scream.
Anyways....proceed.

Advertisement
For these posters that dont know.

I been spitting about Balom from day 1. Kid can play if he is all the way back he will log time and steal reps back there.
We need depth and believe Balom is going to be a good one, just may be stuck behind some really talented guys.

For these posters that dont know.

I been spitting about Balom from day 1. Kid can play if he is all the way back he will log time and steal reps back there.
I think the safeties are the strongest position group on the team after QB, & don't sleep on the corners with Tyrique, Blades stepping it up according to reports, & Porter coming in. The secondary should lead this D. I like our odds against most with TVD if our opponents can't throw it on us with efficiency.

Advertisement
We need depth and believe Balom is going to be a good one, just may be stuck behind some really talented guys.
If true that our coaches plan to have our top 3 safeties on the field at the same time then there will be a ton of playing time for guys like Balom subbing for all 3.

Advertisement
This unfortunately makes him a transfer candidate. And I can’t blame him because UM has 3 really good safeties ahead of Balom and very few schools have that depth chart at safety.

I am of the opinion that JW should see snaps at LB and nickel (as well as safety). It is based on 2 separate lines of reasoning:

1. Value over replacement player. I believe Kam, Tae and JW all need to be on the field, bc it gets our best guys on the field. You take a lesser player at LB and move him to the bench. JW is the only safety that has the tools to fit the bill. Additionally, the other 2 guys are solid safeties, and their skill sets at safety compliment each other perfectly (Tae roaming, Kam filling, to put it in simple terms).

2. I believe JW’s length and short area quickness becomes more disruptive as you move him closer to the LOS. He can take away a WR curl and cover the flats at the same time. He can use his length to disrupt pass lanes. He can blitz off the edge (while still disguising it).

I don’t think anyone wants to see JW line up in a traditional LB role - if you have him shedding blocks and taking on guards, you neutralize that same skill set that makes him so valuable. I’d like to see him remain freed up to do what he does.

I believe you are doing a disservice to the defense as a whole by playing him only as a deep safety. It’s no different than playing Percy Harvin or Deebo Samuel at multiple positions on offense.

Look, you and @Liberty City El are flat out wrong when you say that you "don't think anyone wants to see JW line up in a traditional LB role". There are plenty of people who have been saying that Williams should be converted to LB for the last two years, it's not hard to find the posts.

And maybe you and LCE have perfectly valid points about utilizing a talented player in a variety of roles. But that's not some new concept, and it's not unique to Williams. ****, we moved Antrel Rolle all over the field without having dozens of porsters yapping about how we needed to make him a linebacker full-time. Again, not you and LCE, but PLENTY of porsters have called for Williams to move to LB full-time.

As for "value over replacement player", that is a high school level concept. It's why so many kids have to play out of position in high school, because there is a "need" at one position and an "excess" at another position. It's a bad collegiate concept that destroys the development of college players while disguising and wallpapering over recruiting mistakes. A talented 5-star safety should NEVER EVER have to play LB for a year or two because his coaches can't recruit linebackers, either from HS or the Portal. Again, this is a fundamental philosophical difference from "moving a guy around".

"Doing a disservice to the defense as a whole by playing him only as a deep safety". What a bunch of nonsense. Recruit 10 other good players and stop this mental *********ion that porsters have been arguing about for years.

Last edited:

If Kam develops as we expect, I figured a healthy Balom is the back up free safety. If healthy I think he is the second best center fielder we have.

The Williams boys have the athleticism to do it as shown with the way Manny switched safety assignments based on motion, but I think their best football is in the strong/box safety role.

Advertisement
Back