Scrimmage Thread??

Advertisement
Some of the things that stood out to my son and me.

defense
- sorry to miss out on Witt due to an injury
- Armbrister #13 made some nice plays at DB and showed some pop.
- Telemaque turned Asante Cleveland back with a nice hit, but didn't think he and RRA were too prominent
- Hoilett had a good rush that was credited a sack. He looked very fast for a DE.
- Shayon Green looked pretty strong and made a few plays. I hope he can stay healthy because he looks like he could play LB or DE.
- Larry Hope was in on a lot of plays and looked like a good tackler
- Highsmith was laying the lumber, but missed an int right in his hands on the goal (and didn't do the push-ups)
_ actually there were several easy ints that were dropped

offense
- Hagens went down with a leg injury twisting for a swing pass that was behind him, no contact that I could see.. Walking gingerly on the sideline after. Hopefully no ligament injury
- Ereck Flowers is immense and seemed to tolerate the heat better than some OLs, Gadbois was really gasping on the SL.
- Rayshawn looked good and pretty fast, esp on that route across the field
- Clements and James run hard, but none of the backs seemed to hit the hole very fast.
- I saw Crawford getting more throws than runs but he looked good.
- Holton had a couple good runs, surprisingly.
- I didn't see who sprung Thomson for his TD down the sideline but there was a nice block and he used it well, looked fast, too.

My biggest concern is the lack of speed hitting the hole in the backfield since any D with speed may be able to shut down the running game.
Nice crowd and, on the whole, there were more positives than negatives.

maybe they were running a bunch of zone schemes? those tend to develop slower with the backs looking for a cut back.

we did that a lot last year. to Fisch's credit I remember a couple of times where he really set up the ISO/Dive plays that went for big yardage

i've seen some posts about a little 3-4 on defense and was wondering if hope might be better as a rusher in that.

defense
- Telemaque turned Asante Cleveland back with a nice hit, but didn't think he and RRA were too prominent
- Hoilett had a good rush that was credited a sack. He looked very fast for a DE.
- Shayon Green looked pretty strong and made a few plays. I hope he can stay healthy because he looks like he could play LB or DE.
- Highsmith was laying the lumber, but missed an int right in his hands on the goal (and didn't do the push-ups)

offense
- Hagens went down with a leg injury twisting for a swing pass that was behind him, no contact that I could see.. Walking gingerly on the sideline after. Hopefully no ligament injury
- Ereck Flowers is immense and seemed to tolerate the heat better than some OLs, Gadbois was really gasping on the SL.
- Clements and James run hard, but none of the backs seemed to hit the hole very fast.
- I didn't see who sprung Thomson for his TD down the sideline but there was a nice block and he used it well, looked fast, too.

My biggest concern is the lack of speed hitting the hole in the backfield since any D with speed may be able to shut down the running game.

Advertisement

defense

offense

maybe they were running a bunch of zone schemes? those tend to develop slower with the backs looking for a cut back.

we did that a lot last year. to Fisch's credit I remember a couple of times where he really set up the ISO/Dive plays that went for big yardage

Maybe, but from my angle there was a hole but the RB was too slow to get through it. Mike James actually looks quicker than Clements and may be a more likely feature back.

Glad we got this one done. Some good things, a ****load of not-so-good things.

Things that we can point out specifically and work on. I don't feel bad about our freshmen quarterbacks as they should still be in high school, and it's still real early even for this season.

Someone said that Rayshawn actually ran smoother than did Streeter. Did anyone else see that?

I'm still feeling really good about this year. We have some good, young talent still coming in for the fall that will HAVE to contribute, and have the ability.

Does anyone have any idea where in **** we can find some safeties?

What was it Einstein said? "Stupidity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome" or something like that?

I rather see true freshmen put out as safeties over what we have. They sure couldn't be any worse. That 'experienced' BS is just that.

BS.

Advertisement
Does anyone have any idea where in **** we can find some safeties?

What was it Einstein said? "Stupidity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome" or something like that?

I rather see true freshmen put out as safeties over what we have. They sure couldn't be any worse. That 'experienced' BS is just that.

BS.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I don't expect too many W's this year. I am looking forward to seeing the young guys.

I consider this Golden's first year. Should be some rough sledding this season, but it still should be enjoyable to watch the roots taking shape.

Advertisement
agree, very excited about the incoming class.

I don't expect too many W's this year. I am looking forward to seeing the young guys.

I consider this Golden's first year. Should be some rough sledding this season, but it still should be enjoyable to watch the roots taking shape.

We got the slowest safeties in the ACC probably - including Duke. It's been a weakness but in the old defense it was hid better. But Telemaque and Ray Ray just are SLOW. Its the reason I knew Ray Ray wouldn't go pro. Once he runs a 40 his stock is going to bottom out. At this point I'm in favor of just moving him to LB. Can't be that slow on the backline - Swasey or Highsmith or a CB converted to S needs to take over for one of the safeties. Can't have them both be that slow.

I swear, it seems like the game at college level is too fast for these safeties of ours. Out of position, bad angles, and couldn't catch the clap in a gonorrhea ward.

Is there ANYONE who can't do much worse, but at least be getting some experience and can learn? Angles? Positioning? Reading the offenses?

I think we have offensive linemen who could do as well.

Advertisement
I swear, it seems like the game at college level is too fast for these safeties of ours. Out of position, bad angles, and couldn't catch the clap in a gonorrhea ward.
Is there ANYONE who can't do much worse, but at least be getting some experience and can learn? Angles? Positioning? Reading the offenses?

I think we have offensive linemen who could do as well.

LMAO

We got the slowest safeties in the ACC probably - including Duke. It's been a weakness but in the old defense it was hid better. But Telemaque and Ray Ray just are SLOW. Its the reason I knew Ray Ray wouldn't go pro. Once he runs a 40 his stock is going to bottom out. At this point I'm in favor of just moving him to LB. Can't be that slow on the backline - Swasey or Highsmith or a CB converted to S needs to take over for one of the safeties. Can't have them both be that slow.

yes they are both slow. neither will likely step foot on the field in the NFL at the safety spot. I'm starting to think that Ray Ray is at the wrong position, but he is so **** lanky that I can't really see him at LB. no way he can pack on enough weight on his frame.

basically, we can't have both on the field at the same time it seems. having one of em playing in the box and pure cover guy deep would be better

Advertisement
Back