S & C

Advertisement
Take em to the beach on the weekend for drills. Would be a good PR move too.

Advertisement
I don’t know if ya’ll kept hearing this, but Mario has repeatedly talked about guys eating right when he’s referring to the S&C. Some of u know I was hyper critical of our S&C under Feeley, & another poster hit me w/ Bellamy issues. That shocked me.

Folks, I know we had some nice Weight Watchers before & after photos, & honestly, some looked a little filter-esque, but every time we lined up against a solid P5 team, we looked slow & small. U can blame it on the caliber of recruit if u like, but my problem w/ Feeley was functional, football strength, which is totally different than body building or body recomposition. Guys looked good in a t-shirt, but were dragged in the open field, & trenches (hence we had to blitz **** near every down).

Was Feeley an upgrade over Gus? Yes, but that’s not saying much. Also, Feeley was a G5 program guy; matter of fact, he wasn’t even at a power G5 program, hence we struggled w/ G5 teams from a physicality standpoint.

I love what we have now. I did want the legend from The Bayou in T Moffitt, but I like Feld, & have watched several of his videos explaining methodology. I think we need up to upgrade our sports medicine dept, however. Hearing some unflattering stories from former players & the way King was handled is a no bueno.
I’m a big believer that “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” is a real phenomena.

I’m interest in detail on what we are doing now, but don’t know if we will get them.

@JHallCanes you probably addressed in some other thread but have you seen anything substantive of Feld’s philosophy / methods?

I’m a big believer that “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” is a real phenomena.

I’m interest in detail on what we are doing now, but don’t know if we will get them.

@JHallCanes you probably addressed in some other thread but have you seen anything substantive of Feld’s philosophy / methods?
I have not had much time to dig into it to be honest

What I’m really hoping for is some of my connects can come through and I can actually participate in some of those sessions. I would love to get a first hand view of what’s going on there

One tough thing with social media and fitness/S&C content is man….the pressure to constantly come up with content is huge. But how many different ways can you say the same basic things? It makes the whole thing very convoluted

One somewhat unpopular opinion I have on this is I think degrees are overrated as **** in this space. Sure it’s nice to have and not saying they are useless but I don’t put as much stock into it as others. You learn more in the training room than the classroom

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m lifting right now

And being a complete *** boi texting while I’m doing it
giphy.gif

Advertisement
I have not had much time to dig into it to be honest

What I’m really hoping for is some of my connects can come through and I can actually participate in some of those sessions. I would love to get a first hand view of what’s going on there

One tough thing with social media and fitness/S&C content is man….the pressure to constantly come up with content is huge. But how many different ways can you say the same basic things? It makes the whole thing very convoluted

One somewhat unpopular opinion I have on this is I think degrees are overrated as **** in this space. Sure it’s nice to have and not saying they are useless but I don’t put as much stock into it as others. You learn more in the training room than the classroom
I agree on degrees. Only helpful feature is if you get experience with the hard science so you can look at studies and detect bull**** thru the procedures used.

Also agree on Social Media. The basics are actually boring. And every couple of years some guy repackaged basic ideas and gets cult devotes. While he’s not a professional S&C guy you see it today with the kneesovertoes guy. [disclaimer: I’m not knocking him or his method as I did a bunch of sled drags and nordic curls when I was training for sports]. I read a Moffitt article years ago where he said everything we do in the weight room is GPP. I thought that was a pretty basic but smart insight.

I agree on degrees. Only helpful feature is if you get experience with the hard science so you can look at studies and detect bull**** thru the procedures used.

Also agree on Social Media. The basics are actually boring. And every couple of years some guy repackaged basic ideas and gets cult devotes. While he’s not a professional S&C guy you see it today with the kneesovertoes guy. [disclaimer: I’m not knocking him or his method as I did a bunch of sled drags and nordic curls when I was training for sports]. I read a Moffitt article years ago where he said everything we do in the weight room is GPP. I thought that was a pretty basic but smart insight.
Yeah I mean it’s always good to see guys make sure they are continuing their pursuits of knowledge but the way social media is, and the way seminars come together these days, it’s just changed a lot of traditional learning methods

Good trainers and coaches probably differentiate themselves most by the personal aspects as well. Are they good with people? Are they good motivators? Do they demand accountability? Do they have different ways to approach different clients to help them?

The most successful S&C coaches I’ve seen and been around can create and environment where the kids themselves hold each other accountable

A coach is only with them a certain amount of time and every single good thing they do can be unraveled pretty quickly when they kids are on their own

So I would be really interested to see how Feld commands a room, how he speaks etc as much as his specific techniques to be honest

Advertisement
True test, when we lined up against A&M, last time we line up against LSU and Bama, we did look pretty small :

We looked small and weak. They looked like gladiators compared to our roster. Their WR we bullying our CB’s.

I agree Mario knows what the top looks like and will do everything in his power to get us there.

It starts 100% with recruiting. Can’t turn jags into elites. Look at the size of the 3 stars he took. He has body types he goes after. Might be 3 stars but they are all massive and can move. It’s something for Feld to work with. Moss and Kelly are freak DE’s look at their wing spans and size before they even hit a weigh room.

Can’t wait to see what he does with the 2023 class.
I've never seen a taller recruiting class position by position. 15 guys and over half are 6'3 or taller. All the DBs are over 6 feet and so is the back.

He's definitely shooting for something with the measurables. I aint mad at it.

True test, when we lined up against A&M, last time we line up against LSU and Bama, we did look pretty small :
That'll definitely be the first true test but I'll be at the Southern Miss game and I want to see how we dominate that. How we looked in those games the last 4 years against G5 teams was shameful.

The difference in us vs UAB and Georgia vs UAB was staggering. We got somewhat of the foundation with returning players, transfers and this new program with Feld to be physically dominating in that Southern Miss game. It won't mean everything but I desperately want to see it there first.

25-23 vs App State
31-14 vs UAB (17-14 midway through the 3rd)
0-14 Loss vs Louisiana Tech
24-30 Loss vs FIU

That aint the Miami Football we grew up rooting for. That's wild and I'm guessing we don't see that nonsense happen anymore.

Love that they training on grass. Get used to dynamic movements on the surface that your actually gonna be doing dynamic movements on. Hated the matt drill concept.

One question though I thought coaches weren't supposed to be around players during off-season conditioning or am I trippin. Or is that an old rule.

Advertisement
Back