Ruiz stadium update

Hmmmm, that’s not really the point. It’s not just the “filled” stadium comment; it’s the glossed over comment about the students. He’s a student, and he spoke on that. It’s the same narrative that our AD said. I’m not picking on u, of course, but we’ve now heard this from a student athlete & our AD.
students dont care as much as you think about attendance at games. we only Get at most around 8-10k a game and its like 200 lol during the thanskgiving break home game if there is one (which is why its employee day and they get like 14000 seats w one ticket purchase lol). it isnt a driving factor that will shape attendance.

Advertisement
The $350M literally had EVERYTHING to do with it. LA county couldn't even raise $100M for improvements so USC stepped up b/c they had no other options .... either take control and spend the $350M+ themselves or continue to play in a rapidly deteriorating building with LA county slapping some lipstick on the pig.
Its virtually the same identical thing that happened with the OB. USC would never have spent $350M unless it had to and that $350M is just a drop in bucket. UM (smartly) chose to move to HRS and let the Dolphins ownership pay for what has literally been $500M++ in upgrades at HRS since the OB closed.

Here u go again.

1. USC have been wanting to operate the Coliseum for over two decades, & each time it was denied by the County, then the State.

2. The State made a promise to renovate The Coliseum for $100m

3. B/c of their inability to fulfill said promise, USC took this opportunity to finally get what they wanted by proposing their own terms

4. The terms stipulated that USC would make its own financial commitment to The Coliseum for upkeep of The Coliseum & its adjacent facilities. In turn, USC would act as an operating partner vs. tenant. USC would commit $70m for said renovations, & agree to pay the State a leasing fee + % of revenue obtained by all non-USC events held at the Coliseum or other properties

5. This proposal was overwhelmingly approved, as it took away the financial commitment from the State to upkeep, & USC finally got what they wanted

6. USC’s governing body immediately put into motion a plan to not only give The Coliseum a face life, but to completely renovate it so it wouldn’t just be used for SC football, but attractive to all other events, to create a new streamline of revenue

7. USC also decided they wanted to modernize the stadium to give its fans, alumni, & boosters a better game day & fan experience outside of the game itself

8. The AD/Regent Board members had already cautioned this ambitious project would not result in immediate dividends; however in the long run, it will become not only beneficial for the community, student-athletes, alumni, but for their profit margin

9. I’ve already provided the USC financial report which showed as of today, that’s exactly what happened. SC is using the Coliseum, Sports Arena, Exhibition Park as another revenue source.

U’re trying to include a variable that became a result of what USC decided to do, and misrepresenting what took place to make a point. Ur point has zero validity b/c the discussion was about the details of the lease/operating agreement between SC & The State of CA being landlords. The operating agreement DID NOT INCLUDE OR STIPULATE that USC “had” to pay $350m out of their own resources to renovate The Coliseum; the stipulation was they were responsible for “up to” $70m for renovations. The SC Board of Regents, along w/ their AD decided it would be more advantageous, financially, to commit to a total re-design in order to attract other events. They ambitiously did that since they were in CONTROL.

The reason SC took on this commitment was b/c of their cross-town rival, UCLA. B4 the pandemic killed UCLA’s bottom line, they were operating in the black b/c they were an operating partner of The Rose Bowl (UCLA Rose Bowl Sports Properties), in which other revenue streams came to fruition. That motivated SC to be in that same position, of which they’ve already benefited from naming rights, ticket sales, parking revenue, events etc etc etc.

If Ruiz is able to do it ... the value should definitely be positive even if it is an added drive / inconvenience for some going to the games. The destination as I read it is to be completely upgraded including dining venues ... sports bars .... that could be frequented by UM fans pre and post game. The stadium itself is SUPPOSEDLY to have amenities similar to Hard Rock ... so I envision a club level ... and seats all closer to the playing field for both vision / viewing and for "environment" (AKA home field advantage) ... and a retractable roof. If it delivers on all of those AND UM pays less rent (or none?) and participates in some of the revenues .... then it is a win for the fans and UM financially. Will it be a better student game day environment? Will that bring more students (future alums as Original Canes points out) to the games? If so that is another plus. Long term home ... no worries as to what Ross might do further down the road. Seems like the pluses do outweigh the minuses. And could be in a significant fashion ... still a long way from happening.

so many teams have tried to do this surrounding their venues down here and it never worked. this is the most skeptical park if he gets the land. the bird road area has second highest potential to do so after AAA but the areas right around the arena has never really taken off like they had hoped in terms of restaurants, entertainment, etc. bayside existed prior to the arena and the art museum is nice but no one is going to museum park post game.

the marlins had a wrigleyville type vision in mind when they built the stadium and it never came to fruition. investors stayed away from the retail spots there.

regarding rent, miami actually doesn't pay rent to the fins from a recent article I read.

second bold - no. students aren't the same students when he attended. hes far too removed as a student to even consider this. there are a lot younger alums that have attended and left the better represents the shift in the mindset of the student. it isnt the same as it was in the 80s. the idea to draw more students is to create a miami live or another city place type venue where they can party and pray they actually make it to the game and not stay in the bars.

the student game day env here is never gonna be comparable to a big school. we dont have enough student volume to do so at games. they've tried making it more rowdy with the smoke during breaks that get the sections riled up but its still so small. to get the better env overall, you gotta appeal to the larger community.

now IF UM doesn't pay rent but stays in the same model that they have at HRS at the new site, then its still a win for UM bc its closer. I dont know if Ruiz (if he funds himself or w his own partners but w no UM funding) will be okay with splitting concession revenue, parking, sales, etc.

When you use that as a reason alone, and say 'its too far for the students to drive', I can understand your point.

I am pretty sure that is coupled with the very fact that it's too far from the campus in general, and THAT is way up on the list of reasons.
yeah but distance from campus has never mattered. we have on campus venues and students still dont show up. its just not a large enough population of students that actually care about sports to move the needle. the main things have to be your own home thats filled with UM lore, signage, etc. and ease of access bc it'll mostly be locals that attend not students.

when I was a student, we have the OB and HRS and to get to the OB, you still took a metro and then a bus. to get to HRS, you can drive, uber, or take the shuttles. neither options were really that easy but ti really didn't change anything in terms of student attendance when I was there. the kids who wanted to go went and the ones that didn't want to, didn't. the shift in the declining attendance is more so in the shift of the student population and their makeup. it isnt the same student that attended 20 years ago.

That is a good point. A lot of kids move away and lose touch. The demographic shift is also evident in other ways, including nightlife. Back when I was in Undergrad, The Grove was the spot. Tons of bars, cheap booze, no pretensions. By the time I completed my JD, The Grove was trash. You didn't have the groups of middle class kids needed to keep dive bars alive. The kids now are wealthier on average than they were 10-15 years ago, and for good reason. Most kids are paying full freight now.
the grove is starting to make a comeback but its gonna be priced out for the normal student (not the wealthy student obviously).

Advertisement
Yes sir.

I do agree, Miami needs to do more to make the games more like EVENTS. I know not everyone is into it, but the Greek system at UM has definitely declined. That was a big chunk of the STUDENT piece of the experience in the 1980s and 1990s. The main reason I rarely tailgated in anyone's front yard is because we had fraternity alums who had the GOOD tailgate spaces in the Orange Bowl lots PROPER.

You'd look up into the student section and see groups of fraternity brothers wearing their respective colors/jerseys. Plenty of non-Greeks too, but the fraternities were incredibly vocal (and incredibly drunk). Good times.
If and when Miami joins the SEC, all of the sudden, many of our games are big! It’s different when Texas or Florida (average programs) visit vs. UNC or GT.

so many teams have tried to do this surrounding their venues down here and it never worked. this is the most skeptical park if he gets the land. the bird road area has second highest potential to do so after AAA but the areas right around the arena has never really taken off like they had hoped in terms of restaurants, entertainment, etc. bayside existed prior to the arena and the art museum is nice but no one is going to museum park post game.

the marlins had a wrigleyville type vision in mind when they built the stadium and it never came to fruition. investors stayed away from the retail spots there.

regarding rent, miami actually doesn't pay rent to the fins from a recent article I read.

second bold - no. students aren't the same students when he attended. hes far too removed as a student to even consider this. there are a lot younger alums that have attended and left the better represents the shift in the mindset of the student. it isnt the same as it was in the 80s. the idea to draw more students is to create a miami live or another city place type venue where they can party and pray they actually make it to the game and not stay in the bars.

the student game day env here is never gonna be comparable to a big school. we dont have enough student volume to do so at games. they've tried making it more rowdy with the smoke during breaks that get the sections riled up but its still so small. to get the better env overall, you gotta appeal to the larger community.

now IF UM doesn't pay rent but stays in the same model that they have at HRS at the new site, then its still a win for UM bc its closer. I dont know if Ruiz (if he funds himself or w his own partners but w no UM funding) will be okay with splitting concession revenue, parking, sales, etc.
what source do you have that supports the statement that miami doesn't pay rent. this would be surprising if true. thx

If and when Miami joins the SEC, all of the sudden, many of our games are big! It’s different when Texas or Florida (average programs) visit vs. UNC or GT.
Every week isn't UF and Bama though. Lots of Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas mixed in too...

Advertisement
Every week isn't UF and Bama though

For someone going to watch Miami play a team:

Elite Games:
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Clemson (potentially)
FSU (potentially)

Exciting Games:
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Va Tech (potentially)

OK Games:
Arkansas
Miss St
Kentucky

Bad Games:
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

That's 10 of the 19 games you could play would be major events. I think because we've been watching ACC football for two decades we've forgotten how exciting football can be week in and week out. If you assign points to each level (4 for elite, 3 for exciting, 2 for good, and 1 for meh) the average game played in the SEC would be "Exciting". Where as in the ACC the average games is "OK", which I feel perfectly describes the experience.

And in the ACC:

Elite Games:
Clemson
FSU

Exciting Games:
Va Tech
UVA
Pitt
UNC

OK Games:
Wake Forest
Louisville
NC State

Bad Games:
Duke
GT
Boston College
Syracuse

The never-stadiumers will still be talking about how this can never happen because: XYZ while they are walking across the "Johnny Ruiz Jr. Pedestrian Bridge" over the 826 on their way into "Miami Hurricanes Orange Bowl Field at John Ruiz Stadium presented by Life Wallet Tropical Park" for opening day against conference foe USC, Labor Day weekend 2026.

Advertisement
Grut actually went to UF, not that he's super passionate about their team or anything.
I actually knew his first wife a little bit. I believe she was a bigger real fan of UiF than Ol' Groot. Her father was also a coroner in north Florida that poisoned her mother to death. She defended him- so like most UiF women....she wasn't right in the head.

Here u go again.

1. USC have been wanting to operate the Coliseum for over two decades, & each time it was denied by the County, then the State.

2. The State made a promise to renovate The Coliseum for $100m

3. B/c of their inability to fulfill said promise, USC took this opportunity to finally get what they wanted by proposing their own terms

4. The terms stipulated that USC would make its own financial commitment to The Coliseum for upkeep of The Coliseum & its adjacent facilities. In turn, USC would act as an operating partner vs. tenant. USC would commit $70m for said renovations, & agree to pay the State a leasing fee + % of revenue obtained by all non-USC events held at the Coliseum or other properties

5. This proposal was overwhelmingly approved, as it took away the financial commitment from the State to upkeep, & USC finally got what they wanted

6. USC’s governing body immediately put into motion a plan to not only give The Coliseum a face life, but to completely renovate it so it wouldn’t just be used for SC football, but attractive to all other events, to create a new streamline of revenue

7. USC also decided they wanted to modernize the stadium to give its fans, alumni, & boosters a better game day & fan experience outside of the game itself

8. The AD/Regent Board members had already cautioned this ambitious project would not result in immediate dividends; however in the long run, it will become not only beneficial for the community, student-athletes, alumni, but for their profit margin

9. I’ve already provided the USC financial report which showed as of today, that’s exactly what happened. SC is using the Coliseum, Sports Arena, Exhibition Park as another revenue source.

U’re trying to include a variable that became a result of what USC decided to do, and misrepresenting what took place to make a point. Ur point has zero validity b/c the discussion was about the details of the lease/operating agreement between SC & The State of CA being landlords. The operating agreement DID NOT INCLUDE OR STIPULATE that USC “had” to pay $350m out of their own resources to renovate The Coliseum; the stipulation was they were responsible for “up to” $70m for renovations. The SC Board of Regents, along w/ their AD decided it would be more advantageous, financially, to commit to a total re-design in order to attract other events. They ambitiously did that since they were in CONTROL.

The reason SC took on this commitment was b/c of their cross-town rival, UCLA. B4 the pandemic killed UCLA’s bottom line, they were operating in the black b/c they were an operating partner of The Rose Bowl (UCLA Rose Bowl Sports Properties), in which other revenue streams came to fruition. That motivated SC to be in that same position, of which they’ve already benefited from naming rights, ticket sales, parking revenue, events etc etc etc.
Literally zero idea WTF your point is on your novel above nor do I care. USC is going to spend $350M+++ to have a B level property. They will never recoup that $350M. UM has spent $0 to be in an A level property. If Ruiz and co build a stadium they will be managing the entity so your revenues streams don't amount to ****.

No need to reply.

Literally zero idea WTF your point is on your novel above nor do I care. USC is going to spend $350M+++ to have a B level property. They will never recoup that $350M. UM has spent $0 to be in an A level property. If Ruiz and co build a stadium they will be managing the entity so your revenues streams don't amount to ****.

No need to reply.

Blood, pls stfu.

Advertisement
I’m sitting here eating dinner and i get to thinking. With all the NIL, transfer portal, realignment, tv deals, and overall weakening of the NCAA, people have speculated that in the future the U brand could be leased out so that basically the football team is separate from the school and no more NCAA.

With all Ruiz is doing and how smart he is, I would think that his long term end game is to be the “owner” of the Miami hurricanes football team once the brand becomes the available the NCAA is done away with.

Elite Games:
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Clemson (potentially)
FSU (potentially)

Exciting Games:
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Va Tech (potentially)

OK Games:
Arkansas
Miss St
Kentucky

Bad Games:
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

That's 10 of the 19 games you could play would be major events. I think because we've been watching ACC football for two decades we've forgotten how exciting football can be week in and week out. If you assign points to each level (4 for elite, 3 for exciting, 2 for good, and 1 for meh) the average game played in the SEC would be "Exciting". Where as in the ACC the average games is "OK", which I feel perfectly describes the experience.

And in the ACC:

Elite Games:
Clemson
FSU

Exciting Games:
Va Tech
UVA
Pitt
UNC

OK Games:
Wake Forest
Louisville
NC State

Bad Games:
Duke
GT
Boston College
Syracuse
The ACC has not had a huge number of amazing match ups. That being said, I'd say the Big East was worse. Could there have been 2 more terrible 90's teams than Rutgers and Temple?

Elite Games:
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Clemson (potentially)
FSU (potentially)

Exciting Games:
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Va Tech (potentially)

OK Games:
Arkansas
Miss St
Kentucky

Bad Games:
Missouri
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

And in the ACC:

Elite Games:
Clemson
FSU

Exciting Games:
Va Tech
UVA
Pitt
UNC

OK Games:
Wake Forest
Louisville
NC State

Bad Games:
Duke
GT
Boston College
Syracuse
Combine okay and bad, because kids don't give a **** about okay games. Keep in mind, you will likely only have 2-4 good games at home per year. You will have some slop mixed in, and with these super conferences, decent OOC scheduling will be a thing of the past, if it exists at all.

Then again, if Miami is in the SEC, it won't matter where they play if the games are events. The students go where the buzz is.

Advertisement
Back