Ruiz stadium update

Commented Kamren Kinchens, a sophomore safety on the Miami Hurricanes football team, “Our stadium is just not packed. It’s too far for our students to drive 40 minutes to the stadium.”

This is another thing we've been over. We don't huge a huge student body. Even if you filled Lake Osceola, you'll never pack a 65,000 person stadium with 17,000 students, even if they all did attend. Of all the reasons to do the Tropical Park stadium, this isn't one of them.

You are correct, and the issue is NOT NOT NOT to fill a certain amount of seats with students, though "more" is generally preferable to "fewer".

But all of tbe non-alum fans are missing the point. You don't see the things that I see from inside the Alumni Association.

The bottom line is that there is a direct connection between the campus experience as an undergrad and a LIFETIME of alumnus involvement and charitable giving. UM knows this. ****, every university in America knows this.

I love all UM fans, young, old, alums, non-alums, tall, short, big-boned (had to get that in for @Paranos ). But at the end of the day, it is the UM alums who give money NOT ONLY to the athletic teams, but the entire university as well. Does UM want checks for Hecht? Sure. But there is 10x more fund-raising going on at the REST of the University. A non-alum who buys tix is going to get a fund-raising call for New Hecht. But the alums are going to get calls for New Hecht AND the Richter AND the B-School AND the Law School, etc.

And alums can't turn-on/turn-off being an alum. We want our alma mater to improve no matter who our President is. We can't just quit being alums because we have been dissatisfied with the Homecoming fireworks show and boat burning for the last 20 years.

I tell you this with all sincerity, I have seen a profound difference in the engagement level of UM alums who have graduated over the past 15 years. It would be easy to chalk it up to "young kids these days are sooo selfish". But it's more than that. The evil double-whammy of losing the Orange Bowl and losing a good football team has eroded some of the best parts of being a UM student (and eventual UM alum). And I've spoken to people within UM who have substantial concerns about the long-term impact on alum donations.

I know that many fans would like to believe that "Frenk finally heard our complaints", but I can assure you that he saw the stats on fund-raising and belatedly got religion on "spend money to make money". He's trying to raise a MASSIVE nut for UM's 100th anniversary and...it's not going so well...he even fired the Law School Dean over it.

So to make a long post...slightly less long...you can scan the stands and conclude that the UM students are never going to make up a massive chunk of the a$$es in seats...but to UM, those students are the most important piece, and not just on gameday, but for the next 50 years of fund-raising, and for more than just athletic endeavors. I have posted stats in other threads about how DISPROPORTIONATELY STRONG the support of UM fans has been, both for home games and away games (ticket sales) as well as merch.

We do represent UM very well, both alums and non-alums, and we should be proud of that. We should not be pitting "alums vs. non-alums" in these debates. I have told many people "I wish you could have had the UM experiences that I had", and I am sincere about that. I wish we had a bigger pool of students and alums, but we don't.

And that's why we need to turbo-charge our SMALL student body to be more involved and passionate as both students and alums. And there is no substitute for "UM football" in doing that.

What were my VERY FIRST and most powerful impressions of UM? Driving up to Hogtown in 1986 to see my guys beat the **** out of The Gaytor. Running the table to get to the very first "made-for-television" engineered match-up NOT on New Years Day. Seeing Vinnie win the Heisman. Seeing my guys in classes and hanging out at The Rock.

There were a lot of other things that sucked at Miami. I hated Engineering. Eaton was just a fancied up ancient building. The food was merely adequate, though there was a lot of it. I had a work-study job in the basement of Mahoney-Pearson that caused profuse sweating. I was broke all the time.

But I had UM football that first semester, and it made everything better. And 35 years later, I'm still fanatical and I still cut checks to UM.

That ****e cannot be underestimated. Non-alums can minimize the importance of getting UM students out to the games, but the actual UM Administration knows the relevance. They see it in the (declining) numbers. They know they need to turn the Titanic around.

People need to stop whining about having to drive an extra 20 or 30 minutes when LITERALLY the future of the University of Miami (as an institution, not as a football team) is very closely tied to the involvement and donations of UM alums.

Advertisement
You are correct, and the issue is NOT NOT NOT to fill a certain amount of seats with students, though "more" is generally preferable to "fewer".

But all of tbe non-alum fans are missing the point. You don't see the things that I see from inside the Alumni Association.

The bottom line is that there is a direct connection between the campus experience as an undergrad and a LIFETIME of alumnus involvement and charitable giving. UM knows this. ****, every university in America knows this.

I love all UM fans, young, old, alums, non-alums, tall, short, big-boned (had to get that in for @Paranos ). But at the end of the day, it is the UM alums who give money NOT ONLY to the athletic teams, but the entire university as well. Does UM want checks for Hecht? Sure. But there is 10x more fund-raising going on at the REST of the University. A non-alum who buys tix is going to get a fund-raising call for New Hecht. But the alums are going to get calls for New Hecht AND the Richter AND the B-School AND the Law School, etc.

And alums can't turn-on/turn-off being an alum. We want our alma mater to improve no matter who our President is. We can't just quit being alums because we have been dissatisfied with the Homecoming fireworks show and boat burning for the last 20 years.

I tell you this with all sincerity, I have seen a profound difference in the engagement level of UM alums who have graduated over the past 15 years. It would be easy to chalk it up to "young kids these days are sooo selfish". But it's more than that. The evil double-whammy of losing the Orange Bowl and losing a good football team has eroded some of the best parts of being a UM student (and eventual UM alum). And I've spoken to people within UM who have substantial concerns about the long-term impact on alum donations.

I know that many fans would like to believe that "Frenk finally heard our complaints", but I can assure you that he saw the stats on fund-raising and belatedly got religion on "spend money to make money". He's trying to raise a MASSIVE nut for UM's 100th anniversary and...it's not going so well...he even fired the Law School Dean over it.

So to make a long post...slightly less long...you can scan the stands and conclude that the UM students are never going to make up a massive chunk of the a$$es in seats...but to UM, those students are the most important piece, and not just on gameday, but for the next 50 years of fund-raising, and for more than just athletic endeavors. I have posted stats in other threads about how DISPROPORTIONATELY STRONG the support of UM fans has been, both for home games and away games (ticket sales) as well as merch.

We do represent UM very well, both alums and non-alums, and we should be proud of that. We should not be pitting "alums vs. non-alums" in these debates. I have told many people "I wish you could have had the UM experiences that I had", and I am sincere about that. I wish we had a bigger pool of students and alums, but we don't.

And that's why we need to turbo-charge our SMALL student body to be more involved and passionate as both students and alums. And there is no substitute for "UM football" in doing that.

What were my VERY FIRST and most powerful impressions of UM? Driving up to Hogtown in 1986 to see my guys beat the **** out of The Gaytor. Running the table to get to the very first "made-for-television" engineered match-up NOT on New Years Day. Seeing Vinnie win the Heisman. Seeing my guys in classes and hanging out at The Rock.

There were a lot of other things that sucked at Miami. I hated Engineering. Eaton was just a fancied up ancient building. The food was merely adequate, though there was a lot of it. I had a work-study job in the basement of Mahoney-Pearson that caused profuse sweating. I was broke all the time.

But I had UM football that first semester, and it made everything better. And 35 years later, I'm still fanatical and I still cut checks to UM.

That ****e cannot be underestimated. Non-alums can minimize the importance of getting UM students out to the games, but the actual UM Administration knows the relevance. They see it in the (declining) numbers. They know they need to turn the Titanic around.

People need to stop whining about having to drive an extra 20 or 30 minutes when LITERALLY the future of the University of Miami (as an institution, not as a football team) is very closely tied to the involvement and donations of UM alums.
This and the additional revenue are the winning arguments to make it happen. Add in the amenities of having a full day experience without having to tailgate and it's worth pursuing.

I'll add that your description of the disconnect between alumni and loyalty is something that needs to be addressed not just by putting the stadium closer, but by making sporting events an experience that will give lasting memories. Student groups need to be the ones behind that.

This 1000 percent. My first UM memory was Miami 31 - Peguese 4.

Disagree. The NFL is very different than the other pro sports. He's nowhere near "new" owner level of wealth to successfully acquire a team. The league has basically outlawed ownership groups and pretty much curtailed any pe involvement too.

View attachment 198237
View attachment 198233

Interesting about PE I didn’t know that. But he’s beyond rich enough. It would be a liquidity issue right now (which your link seems to imply he could negotiate around), but MSPR’s current market cap is $5.1B of which Ruiz owns ~75% iirc. So his stake right now, while the stock price is low, woukd be worth over $3.8B which woujd make his net worth easily over $4.5B (some say $5B).

$4.5B would put him in the top 10 in net worth among current NFL owners, and imagine where he will rank if say MSPR ends up at even $5? Possibly as high as #2 in the league.

Last edited:
This 1000 percent. My first UM memory was Miami 31 - Peguese 4.

I love ya, man! You and I lived through it.

Our guy PAB-IV can tell you, we sat through some ticket lines, whether it was that little ticket window for UM games in the UC Breezeway or behind Specs (concert tix). Mix up a gallon of alcohol and bring a bag of chips and a towel to sit on. You do whatever you need to do to get into those games or those shows. Builds character and memories.

Advertisement
This and the additional revenue are the winning arguments to make it happen. Add in the amenities of having a full day experience without having to tailgate and it's worth pursuing.

I'll add that your description of the disconnect between alumni and loyalty is something that needs to be addressed not just by putting the stadium closer, but by making sporting events an experience that will give lasting memories. Student groups need to be the ones behind that.

Yes sir.

I do agree, Miami needs to do more to make the games more like EVENTS. I know not everyone is into it, but the Greek system at UM has definitely declined. That was a big chunk of the STUDENT piece of the experience in the 1980s and 1990s. The main reason I rarely tailgated in anyone's front yard is because we had fraternity alums who had the GOOD tailgate spaces in the Orange Bowl lots PROPER.

You'd look up into the student section and see groups of fraternity brothers wearing their respective colors/jerseys. Plenty of non-Greeks too, but the fraternities were incredibly vocal (and incredibly drunk). Good times.

Our guy PAB-IV can tell you, we sat through some ticket lines, whether it was that little ticket window for UM games in the UC Breezeway or behind Specs (concert tix). Mix up a gallon of alcohol and bring a bag of chips and a towel to sit on. You do whatever you need to do to get into those games or those shows. Builds character and memories.
We did live through it. I have had many people tell me that they wished they had enjoyed college as much as I did.

I remember having to get an extension on a paper because I was waiting in line to get a student pass for my dad for the ND game.

**** I had forgotten about getting concert tix at Specs!

We did live through it. I have had many people tell me that they wished they had enjoyed college as much as I did.

I remember having to get an extension on a paper because I was waiting in line to get a student pass for my dad for the ND game.

That might be the most Miami excuse I've ever heard! Bravo, and I'm glad it worked!

I once missed my (Honors) POL 211 final exam with Dr. West because I misread the Exam Schedule in The Miami Hurricane newspaper. I panicked and ran over to his office just before he left. He was such a good person, he let me take the exam AT HIS HOUSE. He had a nice place in the Gables, I sat in his garden and took the exam. Got an A-. I love that guy and am grateful to him to this day.

Advertisement
Yes sir.

I do agree, Miami needs to do more to make the games more like EVENTS. I know not everyone is into it, but the Greek system at UM has definitely declined. That was a big chunk of the STUDENT piece of the experience in the 1980s and 1990s. The main reason I rarely tailgated in anyone's front yard is because we had fraternity alums who had the GOOD tailgate spaces in the Orange Bowl lots PROPER.

You'd look up into the student section and see groups of fraternity brothers wearing their respective colors/jerseys. Plenty of non-Greeks too, but the fraternities were incredibly vocal (and incredibly drunk). Good times.
when I was UM, the greeks just didn't care. they went to tailgate but rarely entered. they just went to hook up and bounce.

That might be the most Miami excuse I've ever heard! Bravo, and I'm glad it worked!

I once missed my (Honors) POL 211 final exam with Dr. West because I misread the Exam Schedule in The Miami Hurricane newspaper. I panicked and ran over to his office just before he left. He was such a good person, he let me take the exam AT HIS HOUSE. He had a nice place in the Gables, I sat in his garden and took the exam. Got an A-. I love that guy and am grateful to him to this day.
Thats awesome. I once went to Tad Foote's (former president not CIS superstar) house in the gables for some honors thing. It was nice

Night game in the OB, ND and tailgating with my dad and teammates. Would not trade that for anything.

when I was UM, the greeks just didn't care. they went to tailgate but rarely entered. they just went to hook up and bounce.
Greek life when I was at Miami(Completed undergrad in 2009) was a joke, especially compared to a typical large state school. Greeks haven't ruled the roost socially at Miami in decades, mostly because you don't need them in order to have a social life. This isn't some hick town, where the local frat rapefest is the only social event.

People joined Greek life at Miami more because it formalized cliques that existed before they joined.

Greek life when I was at Miami(Completed undergrad in 2009) was a joke, especially compared to a typical large state school. Greeks haven't ruled the roost socially at Miami in decades, mostly because you don't need them in order to have a social life. This isn't some hick town, where the local frat rapefest is the only social event.

People joined Greek life at Miami more because it formalized cliques that existed before they joined.
I finished in 10 so this is accurate as well. its a more useful tool at larger state schools where the student pop is huge. w Miami, its small and close knit to an extent where you end up meeting everyone through friends regardless and everyone normally ends up at the same places (bars, house parties, etc.).

Advertisement
the point of the attendance thing is this - it will not go away w a new stadium. were always gonna have the same attendance issues we've had for decades. it could go worse imo w the amount of locals moving away from the county along w the amount of new people moving in who dont have a connection to the program/team/etc. bottom line, the team is treated as a pro team by the area. if you win, they'll show up. will they show up every week? no. they'll come out for big games though like ND/VT and make it electric. that ws the case when we played at the OB and at HRS and eventually the new OB. nothing will solve that issue short of replacing the entire population and transplanting SEC fans here

The thing that the Alumni Association never recognizes and I've had this conversation with multiple people over the years is that the student body itself has changed. This generation sees the school as a business transaction, not as something unique and special. This started back when the started cutting merit aid and you started seeing more and more international kids on campus because kids like me stopped coming in large numbers. We were mostly middle class kids that came because Miami gave out a ton of money and you got a world class education to boot. A lot of us left forever changed by the experience( in a good way) , hence why we are still passionate about the institution.

The culture overseas is vastly different in regards to schools. There isn't that overwhelming pride in ones alma mater like we see here. It's a cultural difference. Those kids are also less likely to give a **** about sports either. It's great to have a vibrant, diverse student body, but you have to remember that there are cultural differences. Let's.be honest here, basketball is played on campus, NO ONE GOES EVEN THOUGH L PUTS OUT A QUALITY PRODUCT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

Last edited:
The thing that the Alumni Association never recognizes and I've had this conversation with multiple people over the years is that the student body itself has changed. This generation sees the school as a business transaction, not as something unique and special. This started back when the started cutting the merit aid and you started seeing more and more international kids on campus because kids like me stopped coming in large numbers.

The culture overseas is vastly different in regards to schools. There isn't that overwhelming pride in ones alma mater as we see here. It's a cultural difference. Those kids are also less likely to give a **** about sports either. It's great to have a vibrant, diverse student body, but you have to remember that there are cultural differences. Let's.be honest here, basketball is played on campus, NO ONE GOES EVEN THOUGH L PUTS OUT A QUALITY PRODUCT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

it def is a gap between the then students and now students. ive had friends family members who attended UM after we did and they tell me its Diff now than when I was there and that gap isnt huge. it absolutely is diff from the 80s to mid 00s to early 2020s. from the people I went to school w and keep in touch with, they barely give back and it has nothing to do w stadium issues or football. its more so their connection to the area/state ended when they left school. along w that, I met a ton of kids my years who only chose UM bc they gave out more money than the other schools they got into (Duke, etc.). idk fi the merit giving is still the same now, but that was a big draw for students who would attend better academic schools, but chose uM bc it ends up being cheaper.

Advertisement
I will say, tropical park is the best spot we could have a new stadium. it was always that location even when Donna tried to do it with FIU. im glad Ruiz identified that location and not that blowing up gables high lol. the access from highway to stadium is far easier to tropical than anywhere else in gables.

the point of the attendance thing is this - it will not go away w a new stadium. were always gonna have the same attendance issues we've had for decades. it could go worse imo w the amount of locals moving away from the county along w the amount of new people moving in who dont have a connection to the program/team/etc. bottom line, the team is treated as a pro team by the area. if you win, they'll show up. will they show up every week? no. they'll come out for big games though like ND/VT and make it electric. that ws the case when we played at the OB and at HRS and eventually the new OB. nothing will solve that issue short of replacing the entire population and transplanting SEC fans here

a stadium at tropical will not resolve this issue.

a stadium at tropical will not resolve this issue.

but also not a reason to not build a stadium esp one that could be done without UM spending a dime. im just critical of the aspect of getting the land itself. if that hurdle is resolved, the excitement really begins. I imagine Ruiz wont build an erector set stadium either that has less amenities than hard rock, which is key. it isnt about the product on field anymore. your TV, sound system, food at home is better than anything at a stadium. you need to draw people out with amenities and experiences beyond the product or a fight song. thats why as many as VIP style amenities you have, the better. ****, UCF did this with their pool area or w.e. it was they added in their stadium.

Commented Kamren Kinchens, a sophomore safety on the Miami Hurricanes football team, “Our stadium is just not packed. It’s too far for our students to drive 40 minutes to the stadium.”

This is another thing we've been over. We don't huge a huge student body. Even if you filled Lake Osceola, you'll never pack a 65,000 person stadium with 17,000 students, even if they all did attend. Of all the reasons to do the Tropical Park stadium, this isn't one of them.

Yeah I was gonna say something, but the false narratives in this thread are obvious to most. When students can’t be bothered to walk 10 yards to see a sweet 16 team, why does anyone think that the stadium being 15 minutes away, instead of 30, is any different.

Anyway, since there is never going to be an on-campus stadium, the whole make it easier for the students narrative is null and void.

There may be better reasons for a stadium, but one young and inexperienced DB’s offhand comment isn’t one of them.

In addition, as I mentioned in a prior post, slamming our current location is exceedingly stupid, especially since that may actually be our playing location for a long long time since nothing is assured.

Advertisement
Back