Ruiz stadium update

Listen… I look at it like this…

If Ruiz wants to redevelop land and build us our own stadium while trying to improve the surrounding area I have no problem with it.

Will it be on campus? No but it’s just off of it and no one will care

Especially if it doesn’t cost the taxpayers anything.

This will put to bed the Canes not having their own stadium etc and he may be able to attract the high school championships down here in the future which isn’t a bad thing

Advertisement
Listen… I look at it like this…

If Ruiz wants to redevelop land and build us our own stadium while trying to improve the surrounding area I have no problem with it.

Will it be on campus? No but it’s just off of it and no one will care

Especially if it doesn’t cost the taxpayers anything.

This will put to bed the Canes not having their own stadium etc and he may be able to attract the high school championships down here in the future which isn’t a bad thing

Please do not underestimate the importance of monster truck rallys as an annual event...

I understand your concerns. You may see pitfalls with UM doing something like this, although another private school (USC) has no problems doing this in Los Angeles. I'm not sure where "legal purpose" enters in, UM already runs an entire healthcare system, so managing a puny event center/stadium (yes, I'm just joking around here) seems to not be nearly as complicated or risky.

And if you can't see all the monetary advantages, then no amount of current discussion is going to change that. Perhaps once the numbers are finalized, you might see what's going on a bit better. In an absolutely NON-JUDGMENTAL way, I do understand that some people might be hesitant to accept projections and estimates at an early stage like this. Not a problem at all, I can respect that.

It's a big (potential) deal with big numbers. Lots of moving parts. Some aspects that would be unprecedented in Miami/Dade political and business circles. Skepticism and intellectual challenges are good, it forces everyone to work harder to make a better and more mutually beneficial deal.
that's what i am asking. game-day food/beverage, parking and merch, what else? where are the other revenue streams assuming they are not going to operate the stadium.

the hospital is easy, it is a research hospital that is tied into their academic medical program. the legal purpose issues is trite, a simple change in the articles can fix that

Have a hard time seeing any worthwhile, if any amount of public parking below a facility with up to 65k+captive people sitting above it. Seems like a security/risk nightmare.

I’m fine with HRS but if it happens neat.

that's what i am asking. game-day food/beverage, parking and merch, what else? where are the other revenue streams assuming they are not going to operate the stadium.

the hospital is easy, it is a research hospital that is tied into their academic medical program. the legal purpose issues is trite, a simple change in the articles can fix that

Here's what I would say, and I promise you - no agenda, this is just based on what I know from having worked in the industry and seen the revenues and contracts:

---Game-day ticket sales - this one is probably not going to result in some big windfall, we are probably right back to the same spot whether we go to "Tropical" or stay at "Hard Rock". The real money-maker (which I do not think we would do, as a one-off private school) would be if we had our own "ticket processor" and did not use Ticket *******. We did this at Speedway/NASCAR, we charged the ticket fee and kept all the money. All it really cost us was a call center, which is something we CURRENTLY have with the UM Ticket Office and/or the UM Capital Fundraising group. Again, highly unlikely UNLESS we were also the manager of the facility, but I'm just saying...them there "ticket fees" are a motherfvcking goldmine.

---Parking - this one is almost pure gravy. Not sure what our split is with Hard Rock, but I think they retain almost all of this, particularly the "SunPass" yellow lot revenue. Miami might get a percentage of Orange lot/Green lot. Given the layout of Tropical, you could probably charge a price premium for really good Orange Lot/Green Lot locations. THINK UCF. Trust me on that one, one of my best friends is a former athlete at UCF and still has season tix. Also, per my earlier post, we are going to have to explore the legalities on the parking, as you would effectively be converting a public park to private use for 8 hour blocks 7 days out of the year. STILL NOT AS EGREGIOUS AS WHAT THE MARLINS DID, but it will require delicate negotiation. Bottom line, if Miami is able to create some sort of a mixture of parking revenue at Tropical and some "premium tailgating" on campus, this would be money we simply don't make currently.

---Food/bev rev - UM already has an arrangement with a food supplier to run all of the cafeterias and food operations on its multiple campuses, plus we have warehouse space (not on campus). Stadium food is MOSTLY basic, you aren't talking tons and tons of menu items. You could open up certain spaces to be manned by local restaurants, so you could have a "Versailles stand" selling Cuban sandwiches under a "name brand". Food prep off-site, just send over staff for 7 events. Easy peazy, plus you collect a royalty on third-party vendors. But for the "basic" food joints, the burgers/dogs/fries/Cokes, you rake in the money hand over fist that you are simply NOT getting currently. I'm not sure if UM gets a penny off of food/bev at Hard Rock - we don't "sell" food/bev to ticketholders, we don't manage it, and we aren't involved with the money collection, so I don't see anything that enables UM to audit Hard Rock food/bev and claim a cut.

---Merch - this one is almost non-existent at Hard Rock, and could be a LOT better in our own place. Whether you outsource to Fanatics (many MLS soccer teams do), you can still create a seamless "storefront" and delivery system that allows for shipping, gameday pickup at stadium, or even on-campus pickup. You could also have a couple of "haulers" like NASCAR does, essentially 18-wheelers with a pop-up side that turns the hauler into a portable storefront. I could go on and on for paragraphs on merch setups, but I'll save that. In short, merch sales are almost non-existent at Hard Rock.

Advertisement
Have a hard time seeing any worthwhile, if any amount of public parking below a facility with up to 65k+captive people sitting above it. Seems like a security/risk nightmare.

I’m fine with HRS but if it happens neat.

Yeah, I knew how your porst was going to go as soon as I saw your screen name.

Advertisement
i dont know the details of the USC and coliseum deal, but wouldn't UM have to be an equity partner in the deal to be placed as the managing partner? i don't see how Ruiz is going to fund the stadium and give up control and the revenue streams. plus, UM is going to use the stadium 6-7 times a year. none of this seems to make sense. ruiz is not going to allow UM to operate the stadium beyond the 6-7 games nor would UM want that role.

USC’s agreement as operating partner is the upkeep of the stadium, including if any renovations that were needed, a financial commitment was made. USC earns naming rights, along w/ USC and non USC events revenue. In turn, they pay an annual leasing fee to the state, while also forking over 5% of total profits earned from events.

As an example: If SC made $300m in gross revenue from all events held at the Coliseum/Sports Arena, USC pays The State $1.3 + 5% ($15m). SC keeps the rest less operating expenses.

Now, do I expect such a deal? No; however, if Miami was able to come in as an operating partner, where they share upkeep responsibilities, while allowing them a piece of the pie in non-UM event revenue, it could be profitable.

Again, this is speculative & answering a ? directly as to how SC & The State makes $ in their agreement for The Coliseum.

Perfect world, Ruiz buys Dolphins, problem solved.
Move the Fins to TP?
Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin

Advertisement
Better yet, Ruiz buys the Marlins, flips the team to an owner in another state, and uses the profit to renovate the baseball stadium back to a football stadium.
He stated on Twitter he is trying to buy both. It’s going to be difficult for him just to buy one but who knows.

Advertisement
remember the marlins cannot leave south florida until the bonds are paid off in 2097

And DeSantis can't dismantle the Disney special taxing district until those bonds are paid off as well.

We shall see, we shall see. At the $$$ amounts these guys are paying for sports franchises, it could happen.

For now, it's just my dream. I hate the Marlins soooo much.

Advertisement
Back