Ruiz stadium update

Yeah I was gonna say something, but the false narratives in this thread are obvious to most. When students can’t be bothered to walk 10 yards to see a sweet 16 team, why does anyone think that the stadium being 15 minutes away, instead of 30, is any different.

Anyway, since there is never going to be in on-campus stadium, the whole make it easier for the students narrative is null and void.

There may be better reasons for a stadium, but one young and inexperienced DB’s offhand comment isn’t one of them.
there aren't enough students to even bother w this. the fanbase in reality comes from the local area whose connection to the program is the football team nd its past success. the crowd at canes games and the student body on campus are very different and not close to similar. a good reason for a stadium is to use as a recruiting tool where you can host many recruiting events at, host other events (concerts, etc.). the one thing that would be cool is to allow students access to the stadium when not in use like you could at UF, FSU to run stadium steps, take pics, etc., but doubt that will happen. to me, thats a nice simplified recruiting advantage bc you see grads take pics in the stadium or in the end zones, on the field. it gets circulated and gets others excited. also, having a stadium displaying our history w statues, hall of history type thing, etc. would be cool.

Advertisement
there aren't enough students to even bother w this. the fanbase in reality comes from the local area whose connection to the program is the football team nd its past success. the crowd at canes games and the student body on campus are very different and not close to similar. a good reason for a stadium is to use as a recruiting tool where you can host many recruiting events at, host other events (concerts, etc.). the one thing that would be cool is to allow students access to the stadium when not in use like you could at UF, FSU to run stadium steps, take pics, etc., but doubt that will happen. to me, thats a nice simplified recruiting advantage bc you see grads take pics in the stadium or in the end zones, on the field. it gets circulated and gets others excited. also, having a stadium displaying our history w statues, hall of history type thing, etc. would be cool.

All those things are nice but they’re not needs. Recruiting seems to be doing well without our own stadium.

In the end, whether it will happen or not, depends on whether the obstacles can be overcome, and there are many, including getting approval from voters/residents, which may be the dealbreaker.

Commented Kamren Kinchens, a sophomore safety on the Miami Hurricanes football team, “Our stadium is just not packed. It’s too far for our students to drive 40 minutes to the stadium.”

This is another thing we've been over. We don't huge a huge student body. Even if you filled Lake Osceola, you'll never pack a 65,000 person stadium with 17,000 students, even if they all did attend. Of all the reasons to do the Tropical Park stadium, this isn't one of them.

Hmmmm, that’s not really the point. It’s not just the “filled” stadium comment; it’s the glossed over comment about the students. He’s a student, and he spoke on that. It’s the same narrative that our AD said. I’m not picking on u, of course, but we’ve now heard this from a student athlete & our AD.

Hmmmm, that’s not really the point. It’s not just the “filled” stadium comment; it’s the glossed over comment about the students. He’s a student, and he spoke on that. It’s the same narrative that our AD said. I’m not picking on u, of course, but we’ve now heard this from a student athlete & our AD.
No, I get it, but the student body is not the same as years ago and don't have the volume that bigger schools have. They also have a lot more things to distract them than someone in say Gainesville.

My point is that this is low on the list of possible reasons.

Why would I “conveniently” leave out something that had zero to do w/ the lease agreement which was the question? USC chose to spend that money b/c they wanted to transform the Coliseum in to something more than just USC football. HENCE, they’ve had several events there such as a mega concert, weddings, NASCAR, Monster Trucks etc. in which USC pocketed the revenue & will continue to pocket the revenue.
The $350M literally had EVERYTHING to do with it. LA county couldn't even raise $100M for improvements so USC stepped up b/c they had no other options .... either take control and spend the $350M+ themselves or continue to play in a rapidly deteriorating building with LA county slapping some lipstick on the pig.
Its virtually the same identical thing that happened with the OB. USC would never have spent $350M unless it had to and that $350M is just a drop in bucket. UM (smartly) chose to move to HRS and let the Dolphins ownership pay for what has literally been $500M++ in upgrades at HRS since the OB closed.

USC will NEVER recoup the hundreds of millions it is going to spend on that area.

Advertisement
The $350M literally had EVERYTHING to do with it. LA county couldn't even raise $100M for improvements so USC stepped up b/c they had no other options .... either take control and spend the $350M+ themselves or continue to play in a rapidly deteriorating building with LA county slapping some lipstick on the pig.
Its virtually the same identical thing that happened with the OB. USC would never have spent $350M unless it had to and that $350M is just a drop in bucket. UM (smartly) chose to move to HRS and let the Dolphins ownership pay for what has literally been $500M++ in upgrades at HRS since the OB closed.

accurate interpretation of what occurred and what, in my opinion, may occur if tropical is to be explored as an option. miami will be a tenant and nothing else, let someone else run pay for it. which means it will be the same as HRS except significantly closer, the value of which is neutral or maybe even negative.

accurate interpretation of what occurred and what, in my opinion, may occur if tropical is to be explored as an option. miami will be a tenant and nothing else, let someone else run pay for it. which means it will be the same as HRS except significantly closer, the value of which is neutral or maybe even negative.
If Ruiz is able to do it ... the value should definitely be positive even if it is an added drive / inconvenience for some going to the games. The destination as I read it is to be completely upgraded including dining venues ... sports bars .... that could be frequented by UM fans pre and post game. The stadium itself is SUPPOSEDLY to have amenities similar to Hard Rock ... so I envision a club level ... and seats all closer to the playing field for both vision / viewing and for "environment" (AKA home field advantage) ... and a retractable roof. If it delivers on all of those AND UM pays less rent (or none?) and participates in some of the revenues .... then it is a win for the fans and UM financially. Will it be a better student game day environment? Will that bring more students (future alums as Original Canes points out) to the games? If so that is another plus. Long term home ... no worries as to what Ross might do further down the road. Seems like the pluses do outweigh the minuses. And could be in a significant fashion ... still a long way from happening.

If Ruiz is able to do it ... the value should definitely be positive even if it is an added drive / inconvenience for some going to the games. The destination as I read it is to be completely upgraded including dining venues ... sports bars .... that could be frequented by UM fans pre and post game. The stadium itself is SUPPOSEDLY to have amenities similar to Hard Rock ... so I envision a club level ... and seats all closer to the playing field for both vision / viewing and for "environment" (AKA home field advantage) ... and a retractable roof. If it delivers on all of those AND UM pays less rent (or none?) and participates in some of the revenues .... then it is a win for the fans and UM financially. Will it be a better student game day environment? Will that bring more students (future alums as Original Canes points out) to the games? If so that is another plus. Long term home ... no worries as to what Ross might do further down the road. Seems like the pluses do outweigh the minuses. And could be in a significant fashion ... still a long way from happening.
Not trying to be a **** but I don't think you understand the likely finances of the move. UM will still be a tenant and will likely not make materially more than at HRS. Is it in theory a positive moving closer to campus ... yes. Are there certainly going to be negatives ... yes. It is a county park, they aren't going to have a restaurant row and a new business district popping up around the stadium like people are expecting.

Stadiums also need to be renovated every 15-ish years. Would you rather be tied to the Dolphins, a franchise worth $5B that needs to have a state-of-the-art stadium for fans, TV, and Super Bowls spending the hundreds of millions or a loose collective of donors and crooked-*** Miami-Dade County? I'll take door #1 every time!

USC will NEVER recoup the hundreds of millions it is going to spend on that area.
People also forget that the Coliseum is extremely close to the SC campus, so it's practically on campus. It is by all intents and purposes , THEIR STADIUM. LA also gave SC an actionable deal to where they would benefit, even though they would be out a ton of money. Imagine if the OB was where Sunset Place is, and the City gave us an actual deal worth a ****, instead of a poison pill designed to get us to vacate. Never mind the fact that SC is sitting on significantly more money to begin with.

Advertisement
Not trying to be a **** but I don't think you understand the likely finances of the move. UM will still be a tenant and will likely not make materially more than at HRS. Is it in theory a positive moving closer to campus ... yes. Are there certainly going to be negatives ... yes. It is a county park, they aren't going to have a restaurant row and a new business district popping up around the stadium like people are expecting.

Stadiums also need to be renovated every 15-ish years. Would you rather be tied to the Dolphins, a franchise worth $5B that needs to have a state-of-the-art stadium for fans, TV, and Super Bowls spending the hundreds of millions or a loose collective of donors and crooked-*** Miami-Dade County? I'll take door #1 every time!
I do understand the finances as they most likely are ... yes UM will still most likely be a tenant ... I would expect at a lower rent due to Ruiz and his support of UM ... there might be additional improved financial aspects ... but maybe not. As far as "Restaurant Row" from what I have read Ruiz is proposing to upgrade / renovate the entire park and WOULD ADD a couple of dining venues (if approved by the County based on the presentation). Based on what has been presented (and that is actually very little of substance) it looks promising. No real discussion / conversation / debate can be held comparing the merits of one location with the other ... until an actual comprehensive plan IS presented.

I do understand the finances as they most likely are ... yes UM will still most likely be a tenant ... I would expect at a lower rent due to Ruiz and his support of UM ... there might be additional improved financial aspects ... but maybe not. As far as "Restaurant Row" from what I have read Ruiz is proposing to upgrade / renovate the entire park and WOULD ADD a couple of dining venues (if approved by the County based on the presentation). Based on what has been presented (and that is actually very little of substance) it looks promising. No real discussion / conversation / debate can be held comparing the merits of one location with the other ... until an actual comprehensive plan IS presented.
"video game virtual reality" talk. nothing substantively has been presented, but everyone is making assumptions on the money split, commercial terms etc.

if UM is only going to be a tenant at tropical, which is the most likely scenario, then it should remain at HRS. just an opinion

I'd disagree about it being a park and the lack of potential for development of restaurants, etc. The Bird Rd corridor immediately bordering the park to the north would be more than fertile ground for commercial development related to the park. It's all strip malls, casual restaurants and fast food spots with ample parking now.

I'm certainly not in Ruiz's head but you'd have to think this is kind of the vision. Have one "flagship" entertainment/food venue in Miami Live as close to the stadium as possible and then develop the northern border of the park.

Last edited:
I'd disagree about it being a park and the lack of potential for development of restaurants, etc. The Bird Rd corridor immediately bordering the park to the north would be more than fertile ground for commercial development related to the park. It's all strip malls, casual restaurants and fast food spots with ample parking now.

I'm certainly not in Ruiz's head but you'd have to think this is kind of the vision. Have one "flagship" entertainment/food venue in Miami Live as close to the stadium as possible and then development the northern border of the park.
This would be a good time to look up ownership records to see who'll be doing the benefitting from that.

Advertisement
it def is a gap between the then students and now students. ive had friends family members who attended UM after we did and they tell me its Diff now than when I was there and that gap isnt huge. it absolutely is diff from the 80s to mid 00s to early 2020s. from the people I went to school w and keep in touch with, they barely give back and it has nothing to do w stadium issues or football. its more so their connection to the area/state ended when they left school. along w that, I met a ton of kids my years who only chose UM bc they gave out more money than the other schools they got into (Duke, etc.). idk fi the merit giving is still the same now, but that was a big draw for students who would attend better academic schools, but chose uM bc it ends up being cheaper.
That is a good point. A lot of kids move away and lose touch. The demographic shift is also evident in other ways, including nightlife. Back when I was in Undergrad, The Grove was the spot. Tons of bars, cheap booze, no pretensions. By the time I completed my JD, The Grove was trash. You didn't have the groups of middle class kids needed to keep dive bars alive. The kids now are wealthier on average than they were 10-15 years ago, and for good reason. Most kids are paying full freight now.

No, I get it, but the student body is not the same as years ago and don't have the volume that bigger schools have. They also have a lot more things to distract them than someone in say Gainesville.

My point is that this is low on the list of possible reasons.

When you use that as a reason alone, and say 'its too far for the students to drive', I can understand your point.

I am pretty sure that is coupled with the very fact that it's too far from the campus in general, and THAT is way up on the list of reasons.

Advertisement

I'm certainly not in Ruiz's head but you'd have to think this is kind of the vision. Have one "flagship" entertainment/food venue in Miami Live as close to the stadium as possible and then develop the northern border of the park.
That Bird Rd corridor would cost a LOT of money to acquire.

hes passionate about money
Dax Shepard Money GIF

Advertisement
Back