Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

There is always a chance but highly unlikely.
theres a chance.gif

Advertisement
Do people not realize that most College Stadiums are geographically located in a way to optimize potential visitors. All of these SEC schools have stadiums in ****hole towns and their fanbase isn't asking them to move the stadiums to the state capital or some large cityl.

Advertisement
Do people not realize that most College Stadiums are geographically located in a way to optimize potential visitors. All of these SEC schools have stadiums in ****hole towns and their fanbase isn't asking them to move the stadiums to the state capital or some large cityl.

Not sure if I follow but pretty sure almost every SEC stadium on campus? South Carolina is not on campus but possibly everyone else.

Neither West Lab nor CGHS properties will work. CGHS lot is only 19.8 acres (and narrow as one poster noted), not the 24.6 that is reported in the David Lake article. And West Lab is 15.2 acres including the field in front of the school. I've verified that most football stadiums require 11 to 14 acres, which leaves very little land for parking, ingress and egress, etc. And neither area is going to put up with 6-8 story stadium walls adjacent to the nice, residential neighborhoods. The gametime traffic would be a nightmare, too, even with buses and MetroRail. Parking on top of that would have to be spread all over Coral Gables, South Miami and Coconut Grove.

On the other hand, Tropical Park has 272 acres. Paul DiMare tried to get the university interested in Tropical Park years ago before the last years of the Orange Bowl, but they weren't interested and/or couldn't get enough support from boosters. Now, $ sujpport appears to have changed. Vehicle access to Tropical Park is a lot better, too. And the TP facilities could benefit from upgrading as part of the stadium construction.
24.6 acres for CGHS is accurate.
To your point though it's about a tenth of the size of the overall footprint of HRS.

For the on-campus crowd, the entire University of Miami footprint (excluding the frat-rats) is approximately the same size as the HRS footprint (260 acres).

Advertisement
Happens all the time. Tear down the old one. Build a new one -- sometimes on same site, sometimes not.

When I went to UM in the 60s, there was a school (Ponce Jr High?) with a lot of land directly across Dixie Hwy from the U. Whatever happened to that school/land? Could be wrong but I think that school might've even been the original CGHS, before the one on LeJeune.
Ponce Jr High, at 14.1 ac is smaller than West Lab at 15.2 ac (including the field in front of it. Both barely able to hold just a small stadium and no parking.

Ponce Jr High, at 14.1 ac is smaller than West Lab at 15.2 ac (including the field in front of it. Both barely able to hold just a small stadium and no parking.
There is a parking lot on the other side of the waterway from west lab….can put a couple garages there. It’s not just the West Lab lot. It’s also adjacent to the University and can use university garages and lots.

24.6 acres for CGHS is accurate.
To your point though it's about a tenth of the size of the overall footprint of HRS.

For the on-campus crowd, the entire University of Miami footprint (excluding the frat-rats) is approximately the same size as the HRS footprint (260 acres).
The Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser's office shows the CGHS property has 863,919 sf which is 19.8 ac. Not sure where 24.6 came from unless there is an adjacent second parcel or some residential lots are added. Regardless, the size, configuration and location would all be challenges.

I'd love to have a stadium nearby. I just don't see where it is feasible.

The Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser's office shows the CGHS property has 863,919 sf which is 19.8 ac. Not sure where 24.6 came from unless there is an adjacent second parcel or some residential lots are added. Regardless, the size, configuration and location would all be challenges.

I'd love to have a stadium nearby. I just don't see where it is feasible.
The google site imaging I use for work shows the larger number.

Not important though.
Your point still stands and I agree with you.

Advertisement
There is zero chance. Ask anyone who has or know someone who's worked on the Coral gables City commission. It's not even a pipe dream, it's like fanfiction.
In South Florida its who you know. You have to grease the right palms to get stuff like this done. Joe Robbie left and built his own stadium because he couldn't get renovations to the Orange Bowl. That issue kept going for another 20 years until all of a sudden one day the Hurricanes get kicked out and we're putting up a new baseball stadium.

There is a parking lot on the other side of the waterway from west lab….can put a couple garages there. It’s not just the West Lab lot. It’s also adjacent to the University and can use university garages and lots.
That's on-campus parking for students and faculty already. So you're saying shut it down for students and faculty on Saturdays so fans can use it for the day? That seems like a challenge, but if they build a parking garage there, maybe... I just think access, the small footprint and a large, imposing stadium in a residental neighborhood are non-starters and not even worth considering it, not in Coral Gables, anyway.

Advertisement
I'll give you an example. The Heat game the other night started at 7:30. half the arena was empty for the first half due to people sitting in traffic trying to get in. Santas enchanted forrest has always been a fun place to take the kids. My son went the other day and he said it took them almost 2 hours just to park. I don't think people realize how lucky we are to have a stadium that is easy to get in and out with plenty of room for tailgating. I also work 3 times a week in CG and eat at Havana Harrys all the time and the traffic is just so bad all the time.
According to the Dade County traffic dept, about 80% of the traffic in Coral Gables during rush hours (morning and evening) is from people who do not live or work in Coral Gables, but who are traveling through. That's one big reason for snarled traffic in the city.

I hate when people say things like this are impossible. I don’t know why but it irks me. It just wreaks of a self defeating cant do attitude. Does anyone really believe nothing like this has been done before in the history of this great nation? Its a small accomplishment in the grand scheme of things. Coral Gables arent some mythical people who are just different than anybody else and dont have a price. We are seeing right now the affects of powerful, wealthy people that with the snap of a finger have seemingly sent UM in a direction not thought possible by many.

I question his intelligence if he really believes that putting a stadium on the Gables High site is even a remote possibility. You'd have to negotiate with the school board to move the school (which was just rebuilt last year), pay off a ridiculously large number of (rich) neighbors, go through a painful multi-year approval process with the city..... all for a 50k seat stadium with no parking that isn't even on campus? It makes no sense at all. I'd love for him to come up with a feasible plan for a new stadium, but this ain't it.

Advertisement
Back