Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Lol you guys with your typical defeatist attitude.

A stadium will happen. Been saying it for months and it’s obvious.

And I’ll give you another nugget….a stadium is the price of admission for UM to join a bigger conference like the SEC. They will never take us while we’re playing on a rent-a-field in Miami Gardens, that’s just a hard fact.

Something to chew on. What’s happening here might just be bigger than your precious club seats or short commute from Broward.

Riiiiiiiight. Because the only reason UF organized a blackball of UM and F$U was...stadium size...

So what was the reason the Gaytors voted against F$U to join the SEC? A rent-a-field in Miami Gardens? Another "hard fact"...

Advertisement
We don’t need to cater to the students. Most of the fans will not be students

After 20 years of UM Athletics ****ting on the students, we should just keep doing that?

What a stupid comment. Students become alums. Alums, as a group, are the most significant component of donors, boosters, season ticket holders, and tailgaters.

Amongst all the news so far this is the one that makes everything so worthwhile....17 years of crap would mean nothing if this happens.

Advertisement
You’re comparing mixed high-end retail, commercial and residential space to a football stadium? With a much smaller foot prints and that is located adjacent to a major artery and public transportation? It seems like 3/4 of the jack asses thinking this could get done never set foot in the Orange bowl. The relevance is that they have no clue of the history or reality for that matter.

Uh, no, but nice attempt at distraction.

The point is, when Merrick Place was proposed, Coral Gables had never allowed a development of that type (and don't try to tell me about Bakery Centre, which was in South Miami). Today, they have allowed it, and even larger projects have been build downtown.

There's always a litany of tears, and a wailing about how "this will destroy traffic", then the building happens and life goes on.

Don't tell me about "footprint", when the acreage of Merrick Place is comparable to Coral Gables high (but MP is more squarish, while CGHS is more rectangular).

As for a DIRECT comparison between Merrick Place and a football stadium, one creates traffic flow 365 days of the year, while the other involves 6 half-day events which routinely involve the assistance of police to direct traffic.

Workable.

When do they plan to drop the Towers? Probably cheaper to drop M-P as well as opposed to renovate. As bad as the Towers are M-P is worse. Only question is will there be enough housing?

Towers will be down in a couple of years. "Enough housing"? Not sure. But for everything that comes down, there is "new" square footage on which to build.

Advertisement
My point was to show absolutely stupid people can be. Now add them into a parking garage.

They could always have a no tailgating rule. Coral Gables might insist on it.

Oh, man, you didn't need a new post to show me how absolutely stupid people can be, you could have just screenshot a randome CIS thread...

I really loved the variety of options at UNC. Clearly, if we built an on-campus/near-campus stadium, tailgating would evolve, it would not be identical to what we now have at Hard Rock.

He should focus on downtown and recreate an OB vibe in partnership with Mas. Downtown CG would be a mess and you're ultimately not going to sway the community to accept that. People didn't/don't move to CG for Miami fans & people on this site to park and tailgate on their lawns like little Havana. Love the ambition he'll get more love & have more success in Overtown.

aviva-covid-19.jpeg

Advertisement
Miami Marine Stadium on Virginia Key? We already have the RSMAS campus across the street, so I'm all in!
My buddies who I grew up with own ULTRA and they had to have it there and it was a disaster. They had thousands of kids walking over the bridge because they couldn’t get out.

some of ya'll simply do not understand CG....this is NEVER happening no matter how much money is thrown at them...not in CG...ever.
like ever ever...

Advertisement
It’s not that small….would need to maybe replace a couple of the school buildings next door, or incorporate them as part of the structure. It looks roughly the same size as CGHS lot. Just saying if you’re picking between the two, West Lab makes more sense. Personally I think most realistic is something like Tropical Park.
Neither West Lab nor CGHS properties will work. CGHS lot is only 19.8 acres (and narrow as one poster noted), not the 24.6 that is reported in the David Lake article. And West Lab is 15.2 acres including the field in front of the school. I've verified that most football stadiums require 11 to 14 acres, which leaves very little land for parking, ingress and egress, etc. And neither area is going to put up with 6-8 story stadium walls adjacent to the nice, residential neighborhoods. The gametime traffic would be a nightmare, too, even with buses and MetroRail. Parking on top of that would have to be spread all over Coral Gables, South Miami and Coconut Grove.

On the other hand, Tropical Park has 272 acres. Paul DiMare tried to get the university interested in Tropical Park years ago before the last years of the Orange Bowl, but they weren't interested and/or couldn't get enough support from boosters. Now, $ support appears to have changed. Vehicle access to Tropical Park is a lot better, too. And the TP facilities could benefit from upgrading as part of the stadium construction.

Bottom line is that any place you build it, 90% of the fans drive to it from all over South Florida. Access to Hard Rock is a lot easier than any of the other sites and to the 90% who drive, it only makes a few minutes drive time difference. Although (of the proposed sites) TP would be best for access, it would still be a pain to get to for gameday traffic and probably be no shorter drive time than HRS.

Last edited:
Uh, no, but nice attempt at distraction.

The point is, when Merrick Place was proposed, Coral Gables had never allowed a development of that type (and don't try to tell me about Bakery Centre, which was in South Miami). Today, they have allowed it, and even larger projects have been build downtown.

There's always a litany of tears, and a wailing about how "this will destroy traffic", then the building happens and life goes on.

Don't tell me about "footprint", when the acreage of Merrick Place is comparable to Coral Gables high (but MP is more squarish, while CGHS is more rectangular).

As for a DIRECT comparison between Merrick Place and a football stadium, one creates traffic flow 365 days of the year, while the other involves 6 half-day events which routinely involve the assistance of police to direct traffic.

Workable.
Clueless. Take off the orange and green colored glasses.

A lot of yal have some good ideas and suggestions ...send them to his Twitter , it can’t hurt 🤷🏾‍♂️ Looks like he’s just now become recently active on there @JohnHRuiz

Advertisement
Back