QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

Advertisement
He’s a dual threat QB in an offense that had the 6th most rushing attempts per game in the country in 2022 and 9th most in 2021.

Of course he doesn’t have as many yards or attempts

And that's exactly my point. He's more of a running threat of a QB who can be an adequate mid passing game passer but imo, that means we're going to continually play offense in a small area of the field (phonebooth) rather than have a more wide open offense. Can his play be good enough for 8-9 wins? I'm sure it can, but imo, there are guys out there who are good enough for 10+. But, I will acknowledge that he'd be a "safe" pick.

And that's exactly my point. He's more of a running threat of a QB who can be an adequate mid passing game passer but imo, that means we're going to continually play offense in a small area of the field (phonebooth) rather than have a more wide open offense. Can his play be good enough for 8-9 wins? I'm sure it can, but imo, there are guys out there who are good enough for 10+. But, I will acknowledge that he'd be a "safe" pick.
Better than Will Rogers. That might be your alternative

My top 5 portal QBs *for us* as of right now:

1) Riley Leonard (of course, ND lean rumored)
2) Will Howard
3) Grayson McCall
4) Cam Ward (should he enter the portal)
5) Will Rogers

Our Portal QB should be one of those 5 kids. Period. Then add in another portal QB add for depth/experience to push them...maybe one of the kids jumping up from FCS or mid-major.

The only ways my list above changes is if 1) Cam Ward doesn't hop in the portal, or 2) there's a better QB than those kids that hops in the portal that wants to be at Miami. That being said - that's the level of kid we need Mario to land in the portal to help solidify the QB position next season.

EDIT - Should he enter the portal, Michael Pratt would be way up there for me. I just think he'd fit us like a glove. He's not in the portal (yet) so that's why I didn't include him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My top 5 portal QBs *for us* as of right now:

1) Riley Leonard (of course, ND lean rumored)
2) Will Howard
3) Grayson McCall
4) Cam Ward (should he enter the portal)
5) Will Rogers

Our Portal QB should be one of those 5 kids. Period. Then add in another portal QB add for depth/experience to push them...maybe one of the kids jumping up from FCS or mid-major.

The only ways my list above changes is if 1) Cam Ward doesn't hop in the portal, or 2) there's a better QB than those kids that hops in the portal that wants to be at Miami. That being said - that's the level of kid we need Mario to land in the portal to help solidify the QB position next season.
McCall not being talked about much. Maybe because he was at CCU or is he just not graded as high as the others?

McCall not being talked about much. Maybe because he was at CCU or is he just not graded as high as the others?
Maybe it's just me, but I always somewhat discounted him as an (obviously electric) option qb playing at a lower level. I'm not watching a ton of CCU so no idea what his actual skillset looks like.

Definitely stemmed from this article when he was first blowing up: https://theathletic.com/2410223/202...-by-storm-analyzing-the-chanticleers-offense/

“It’s a 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end, two receivers), spread-option offense,” Coastal Carolina co-offensive coordinator Willy Korn explained. “We’re going to get into a bunch of different formations and have a bunch of different motions and shifts and different presentations but run a lot of the same core concepts over and over and just try to window dress them the best we can. At the end of the day, it’s option football, option concepts but not in the traditional sense.”​

So...this is just my $0.02.

He doesn't have a big arm. Doesn't throw deep a ton. To the point of sandimas' posted quote from Willy Korn, he is an option QB essentially - but he makes really good decisions when given those options, and can make defenses pay with his legs when he has to improvise. He's a gunslinger that just makes plays.

My biggest personal worry with him would be arm strength and how that would translate against P5 defenses with smaller windows to throw into. But - kid can play for sure.

Advertisement

He doesn't have a big arm. Doesn't throw deep a ton. To the point of sandimas' posted quote from Willy Korn, he is an option QB essentially - but he makes really good decisions when given those options, and can make defenses pay with his legs when he has to improvise. He's a gunslinger that just makes plays.

My biggest personal worry with him would be arm strength and how that would translate against P5 defenses with smaller windows to throw into. But - kid can play for sure.

If he’s smart he goes to Auburn to play for freeze. High will scheme it up for him

Thanks for the insight. Was just curious why he wasn’t getting a lot of attention.

Maybe it's just me, but I always somewhat discounted him as an (obviously electric) option qb playing at a lower level. I'm not watching a ton of CCU so no idea what his actual skillset looks like.

Definitely stemmed from this article when he was first blowing up: https://theathletic.com/2410223/202...-by-storm-analyzing-the-chanticleers-offense/

“It’s a 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end, two receivers), spread-option offense,” Coastal Carolina co-offensive coordinator Willy Korn explained. “We’re going to get into a bunch of different formations and have a bunch of different motions and shifts and different presentations but run a lot of the same core concepts over and over and just try to window dress them the best we can. At the end of the day, it’s option football, option concepts but not in the traditional sense.”​
Thanks!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting option for NC State could be Byrum Brown if he hits the portal.

From the Raleigh area and NC State just paid up to keep Concepcion.

Advertisement
Back