Purdue at Miami on December 8th 2020 at 5 pm on ESPN2

Advertisement
**** of a comeback. My bad for prematurely tearing about this team especially Beverly. Boys never gave up and gutted one out with 2 impact guys out. Work on your free throws and 3 point shooting for ***** sake!
Accepted, I watched the game , followed this board and enjoyed the comeback. Some of the comments were very sad.

The early crying (plenty by me) is somewhat warranted. They were atrocious in the first half and really showed poor spacing and passing. Still have to work on their free throw shooting but great adjustments were made at half.
No. You gave up on the team. What if the players had your attitude??? Simple.

No. You gave up on the team. What if the players had your attitude??? Simple.
Did you watch the game? Didn’t see you on here yesterday but you are all over the thread afterwards. If you did watch the game, you would have seen that they did play very poorly and showed poor effort in the first. Here is a link to the postgame interviews of cam and Beverly. Go to 5:25 and you will see Beverly say that they did not bring enough effort in the first half.

Advertisement
Did you watch the game? Didn’t see you on here yesterday but you are all over the thread afterwards. If you did watch the game, you would have seen that they did play very poorly and showed poor effort in the first. Here is a link to the postgame interviews of cam and Beverly. Go to 5:25 and you will see Beverly say that they did not bring enough effort in the first half.

Ibwstched the whole game and was reading this thread, typical canes negative Nellie's. Thank goodness you are not the entire fanbase. I slept on it and still felt like bashing a few.

Ibwstched the whole game and was reading this thread, typical canes negative Nellie's. Thank goodness you are not the entire fanbase. I slept on it and still felt like bashing a few.
What about Beverly admitting the effort wasn’t there in the first half? Is he a negative Nellie?

Thank goodness we have fans like you coming into the thread without watching the game and bashing people the next day/posting gibberish replies as posts without replying to anyone.

Advertisement
This team has top 25 talent with upperclassmen at key spots (Lykes, Brooks, McGusty) All of our guards were top 100 recruits. When Lykes and Timberlake are in the fold, I think this team has the talent to make a Sweet 16 run. It'll be up to Coach L (and health) to see if he can get us there.

Happy to be wrong there.

My observations about the first half were true, but it was the fight that really encouraged me.
There's nothing wrong with saying the team is playing poorly. It's another for the guys who were saying this team IS horrible and Coach L deserves to be fired and all the players suck, etc.

What about Beverly admitting the effort wasn’t there in the first half? Is he a negative Nellie?

Thank goodness we have fans like you coming into the thread without watching the game and bashing people the next day/posting gibberish replies as posts without replying to anyone.
I watched the game. Yes the firs half was ugly, but the team did not quit, nor did I.

Want to apologize for ripping this team And coaching staff to shreds In first half (they deserved it)

what a fantastic second half comeback. Honestly incredible given what we saw in first half
They deserved it.
Crying about our first half performance, such as "we are playing poorly", was warranted. Comments about the quality of our team and coaching, such as "we are poorly coached" or "L needs to go" or "this team stinks", were premature. You can't evaluate a team based on 20 minutes, or even 40 minutes, for that matter. Remember that next time we play poorly for a half :cool:
I am forever optimistic in most cases and rarely comment negatively comment during a game. Terrific comeback. That being said we've been lacking since Konkol and Huger left.

Advertisement
1607532187146.webp

Advertisement
Gotta give Matt Cross credit. He did not get his first FG of the game until the 8 minute mark (think I heard the announcer say that) of the second half. After that, he really came alive with a couple baseline drives and that terrific tip-in follow to a missed put-back near the end!

My first time seeing the Canes this season. While his numbers were modest, I also was impressed with Brooks. He looked more agile and athletic than I had mentally pictured. I think he might have a higher offensive upside than I thought as he gets acclimated.

Beverly has a ton of skill and talent. Problem is finding PT with Lykes and Wong here. He didn't help himself last year in terms of making the most of his opportunities. Last night showed what he could be. Up to him to maximize his chances to get more floor time.

Gotta give Matt Cross credit. He did not get his first FG of the game until the 8 minute mark (think I heard the announcer say that) of the second half. After that, he really came alive with a couple baseline drives and that terrific tip-in follow to a missed put-back near the end!

My first time seeing the Canes this season. While his numbers were modest, I also was impressed with Brooks. He looked more agile and athletic than I had mentally pictured. I think he might have a higher offensive upside than I thought as he gets acclimated.

Beverly has a ton of skill and talent. Problem is finding PT with Lykes and Wong here. He didn't help himself last year in terms of making the most of his opportunities. Last night showed what he could be. Up to him to maximize his chances to get more floor time.
Cross is going to be a good one for us. I'm very excited to see him and Timberlake. Beverly has all the potential in the world. The turnovers and lazy effort has to stop. He's going to stuff the stat sheet every game. Just gotta work on that outside shot and free throws.

Some thoughts on each player's performance:

- It's been said a few times already, but Brooks was vital to this win. The stats aren't **** (6 points and somehow only 3 rebounds), but he made some crucial defensive stops. Hopefully he can rebound more effectively though going forward
- Cross does not play like a freshman at all. It is going to be a joy watching him here the next 4 years. Most freshmen would get frustrated that their shots weren't falling, but he found a lot of other ways to contribute
- Beverly is entering JaQuan Newton territory in terms of most frustrating Canes basketball player to watch. This kid has a lot of potential, but he commits some of the most back breaking turnovers I've ever seen. I'm glad he bounced back and had a stellar second half, but if he wants to be our point guard of the future he needs to find a way to cut these turnovers way way down
- Wong did not have one of his best games. His shots were way off, and he wasn't as aggressive attacking the rim as he normally is. Something doesn't look right with his shooting formation. Did someone in this thread say the coaches had him change his mechanics? It doesn't appear to be working so far
- Kam had an outstanding second half. 15 points! His lack of athleticism is pretty glaring at times but he still finds ways to score
- Walker looked much improved vs. last season the first 2 games but he took a step back last night. He still plays lost and out of control at times.
- Gak had some of the best minutes of his career so far. Played solid defense, grabbed some rebounds, even had a 3 point play. Nothing earth shattering, but if he can fill that role it gives us a solid depth piece in the frontcourt that we've been badly missing these last few years. He is pretty athletic and can block shots as well
- I hate picking on players, but Miller actually looks worse than last year. Hopefully we don't have to rely on him for more than a few minutes a game, especially if Gak continues to emerge

On a side note, we're shooting just 25% from 3 thru 3 games. Hopefully once Lykes returns that number goes up, but I'm afraid it might be a weakness for us all season.

Some thoughts on each player's performance:

- Kam had an outstanding second half. 15 points! His lack of athleticism is pretty glaring at times but he still finds ways to score
What exactly defines "athleticism." He made a few acrobatic reverse layups last night and sky'ed for a dunk off a lob. Both require athleticism, at least by my definition.

Advertisement
Back