Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
I think you are presuming quite a bit here, and I do have some experience in working on sports/entertainment ventures such as this.

First, if the Tropical Park site plan goes through, he will not own the facility outright. Yes, he may be the one to secure the management contract, and yes, he may buy some surrounding land to be converted into an "entertainment area". And, sure, some can claim that this is going to be a sort of year-round venture, but I'm not sure how much revenue will arise (at least on the stadium portion). Look at your own post, you are talking about "state HS football championships". Uh, yeah...how big are those?

Look, if you put a football stadium in Tropical or a soccer stadium in Melreese, those projects are being sold as "seven" or "seventeen" games/matches per year, with the rest of the year devoted to community events. Concerts are still going to be held at Hard Rock and AA Arena and Sunrise. If you tear down Tropicaire and build something new, that could happen independently anyhow, 7 UM football games won't suddenly make-or-break that entertainment area.

Ruiz will absolutely make a donation. He wants his name on the building. He may also be looking for ancillary income associated with the project, but there will definitely be a donation.
@TheOriginalCane what if it became a mixed use shopping/dining area instead of relying on live events? Would that be more lucrative?

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane what if it became a mixed use shopping/dining area instead of relying on live events? Would that be more lucrative?

But it's a park. A park. I mean, if Dade County wants to get rid of a huge public park, sure. But that park has fields and lakes and trails and equestrian, and I don't think they are just going to turn that park into an entertainment center.

Again, if they want to redevelop stuff along Bird Road (Tropicaire, Tropical Park Plaza, etc.), then that's fine. Or maybe the industrial area east of the Palmetto (which would work well with my "extend/elevate Blue Road" idea).

Take a look at the dining/entertainment area that NASCAR has built to the north of Daytona International, across an 8-lane road. Two pedestrian bridges. Plenty of parking. Could easily be done at Tropicaire.

Universal can justify the excavation and maintenance because their income stream is constant. Compare that to an event based venue who would have 6 home games a year and some other events sprinkled annually.

My entire point is to make the area more than the stadium so that it can function year round. Dropping a stadium anywhere, to your point, is a waste of land because it isn't active except a few days a year. It's also not fair to the residents. If you build a stadium that is one piece of an entertainment complex then you're not just dumping a stadium somewhere, you're making it a feature of a larger project that can benefit the community.

And attaching a stadium to a large entertainment area means it's less likely to fail because you have guaranteed revenue for many, many weekends (college football, high school football, bowl games, other events).

Advertisement
Advertisement
If it did happen to end up at Tropical Park then Ruiz absolutely needs to make a play to steal all the concerts from that godforsaken Cruzan/SoundAdvice/Whatever Amphitheater. NOBODY in Dade & Broward should have to drive all the way up to that ****hole. Somehow a "major" venue in 2022 is in Bumblefuk with like one access road to it from the Turnpike and luxurious mud parking lots.

I miss this dearly from the OB. Having a legit skyline in view is a tremendous home field advantage imo. I never make it that far west when I visit Miami, but can you see the skyline from tropical park? Seems too far west from a simple google maps search.
Not even close. Besides, there are HUGE tree’s blocking the view of the highway. I can careless about that, though.

But it's a park. A park. I mean, if Dade County wants to get rid of a huge public park, sure. But that park has fields and lakes and trails and equestrian, and I don't think they are just going to turn that park into an entertainment center.

Again, if they want to redevelop stuff along Bird Road (Tropicaire, Tropical Park Plaza, etc.), then that's fine. Or maybe the industrial area east of the Palmetto (which would work well with my "extend/elevate Blue Road" idea).

Take a look at the dining/entertainment area that NASCAR has built to the north of Daytona International, across an 8-lane road. Two pedestrian bridges. Plenty of parking. Could easily be done at Tropicaire.
it is a park used by thousands of people each day. to build a stadium, it would take almost the entire park.

Last edited:
it is a park used by thousands of people each day. the build a stadium, it would take almost the entire park.
Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

Advertisement
Someone numbers are off then

Ruiz family saying a stadium usually takes up 25 acres

Tropical Park has over 200 acres
well, the actual building may take only 25 acres. i just measured dolphins' stadium and it measure about 1,000,000 square feet or 23/24 acres. that is the building itself. taking into consideration the required parking, and you'll need over 200 acres (which is the size of the entire dolphins' stadium complex), or the entire park

Advertisement
I'm not really plugged into this thread, but it's funny to see [likely accurate] assessments about why certain sites don't work. The environment. Noise. Community impact. Public parks, etc. In this crazy community, all that goes to **** once a developer starts swinging around some dollar bills in front of our politicians!

Universal can justify the excavation and maintenance because their income stream is constant. Compare that to an event based venue who would have 6 home games a year and some other events sprinkled annually.

I mean this is getting crazy. Why don’t we build the stadium in outer space, connected to the space station, there won’t be any traffic jams because we’re putting everybody on rocket ships to go to the games.

Dude literally has a picture of Universal Studios, so let’s see, one to two billion for the retractable roof stadium, and another 3 billion or so more to build an amusement park retail establishment right next to it.

Yeah let’s go for it.

well, the actual building may take only 25 acres. i just measured dolphins' stadium and it measure about 1,000,000 square feet or 23/24 acres. that is the building itself. taking into consideration the required parking, and you'll need over 200 acres (which is the size of the entire dolphins' stadium complex), or the entire park
Hard Rock is also 60-70K seat stadium. I believe the proposed Stadium is 40-45K. The parking itself shouldn't really be an issue considering that Santa's has been moved from there and you have that whole section of the park that is paved and open (I don't think the testing sites will be there long term). Worst case "20 Dollars no blockie" 😂😂.

Advertisement
Back