Our DL Room is FILTHY

People are sleeping on Jones. I think as a freshman he will have a greater impact than Blount just based on age and current physical development.

I'm in agreement. But first things first, we need to beat the Gators, ideally crush them. None of these true freshmen can be counted on for that. Horton and Moten have to step up.

Advertisement
We haven't beat them in three years, so there's a mental block there w/regard to how analysts view us. I do think FSU is overvalued coming into this year. People are looking at the last two years rather than what's in front of them.

The fact that Bud Elliot of all people is trying to pump the breaks and set lower expectations tells me all I need to know about their weak points. Non-existent WR room, above average at best QB (with bad streaks), and a worse RB room than last year (albeit I think Toafili and Williams are a solid duo), raises a lot of flags. Also, their DL is topheavy. They don't have depth there, so if a big guy like Darrel Jackson goes down, they're in trouble. Same in the LB room.

Their offense benefited from versatility last year (pick your poison with Travis and the two NFL WRs + TE, or bet on stopping Trey Benson). They're going to be wayyyy more reliant on the run, especially with such an inexperienced WR group. To me, that's what has to be most alarming to them. They have a WR room with almost no existing production, chock-full of guys who never broke into a starting rotation at their prior stops or who got limited playing time last year.

Their issues at WR are a big reason why I think GT has a really good chance to upset them Week 1. Stop the run and force DJ and a questionable room to beat you.
Oh I completely agree.

We need to do it on the field before we deserve more respect, that said, some of the pundits are acting like FSU should just easily clean up against us….I just don’t see that, unless we are extremely banged up or just play far below our talent.

Can we expect a freshman year Jonathan Garvin level of impact and production?

I was literally thinking exactly that. IIRC, both those strip sacks came in the 4th quarter of November games. I think Lightfoot will be given the opportunity to make similar plays this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
His neck is thicker than his head!

My favorite DL recruit in the 2024 class.

I'm not sure I'd go that far just because there are a lot of beasts in that DL class. But of the 3-4 DTs (Jones, Scott, Blount and Russell), I definitely believe he's the most ready to contribute early. Dude is He-Man strong and thick AF. @Confidence1000 do your thing because I will not say it lol.

Advertisement
I'm not sure I'd go that far just because there are a lot of beasts in that DL class. But of the 3-4 DTs (Jones, Scott, Blount and Russell), I definitely believe he's the most ready to contribute early. Dude is He-Man strong and thick AF. @Confidence1000 do your thing because I will not say it lol.
Now u know this is outta line!
Aye Scott!!!!!
200.gif

Hey yo! Hit the button next time

I know everyone loves Jones but I’m more excited about him long term. I think him and Blount are going to be monsters in 2 years. Scott is the guy I’m expecting to show something immediately.

When your a 5*…there should be certain expectations that come with that and we need to start having that mindset as a fanbase. He doesn’t need to give us a Bain level encore performance but I’m expecting him to be in the 2 deep by years end and push Moten or Horton into the portal come offseason.

Advertisement
I know everyone loves Jones but I’m more excited about him long term. I think him and Blount are going to be monsters in 2 years. Scott is the guy I’m expecting to show something immediately.

When your a 5*…there should be certain expectations that come with that and we need to start having that mindset as a fanbase. He doesn’t need to give us a Bain level encore performance but I’m expecting him to be in the 2 deep by years end and push Moten or Horton into the portal come offseason.
Can anyone with more detailed knowledge of his opponents describe Scott's prior competition level? Is it a scenario where, like Okunlola, it's a big leap?

As for your progression about Scott making his way into the 2-deep and push Moten/Horton, I agree.

We haven't beat them in three years, so there's a mental block there w/regard to how analysts view us. I do think FSU is overvalued coming into this year. People are looking at the last two years rather than what's in front of them.

The fact that Bud Elliot of all people is trying to pump the breaks and set lower expectations tells me all I need to know about their weak points. Non-existent WR room, above average at best QB (with bad streaks), and a worse RB room than last year (albeit I think Toafili and Williams are a solid duo), raises a lot of flags. Also, their DL is topheavy. They don't have depth there, so if a big guy like Darrel Jackson goes down, they're in trouble. Same in the LB room.

Their offense benefited from versatility last year (pick your poison with Travis and the two NFL WRs + TE, or bet on stopping Trey Benson). They're going to be wayyyy more reliant on the run, especially with such an inexperienced WR group. To me, that's what has to be most alarming to them. They have a WR room with almost no existing production, chock-full of guys who never broke into a starting rotation at their prior stops or who got limited playing time last year.

Their issues at WR are a big reason why I think GT has a really good chance to upset them Week 1. Stop the run and force DJ and a questionable room to beat you.
Smooth Brain Bud picked FSU to beat Miami citing the weak crowd, and coaching advantage.

He did say that FSU starting 22 isn't as good as UMs.

I think Jones is more ready to contribute than Scott. And certainly more than Blount who is a ways off (partly cause of age).

Advertisement
Back