Our DL Room is FILTHY

Advertisement

Let Lightfoot get some burn late in games the first month and then I would like to see him totally 100% fresh on a 3rd and 7 late in the 3rd quarter against VT. You’re gonna get like 5 snaps tonight. So you can go absolutely balls to the wall on every single one and try to make a play. He won’t have near the impact Bain did because he’s not as physically ready and we don’t need him to, but I still expect he will make a couple really big plays this year in conference play. Dude was flat unblockable at the all-star game.

Advertisement
Messidor bulking up to play DT? 🧐

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
WDE Alston, Baron, Lightfoot, Bryant, Pickett

WDT Cook, Clark, Horton, Campbell, Russell

SDT Barrow, Moten, Scott, Jones

SDE Bain, Mesidor, Blount, McConathy, Rudolph

We look to be very very good at edge if healthy. DT is still a major concern though. As stated we need Moten or Horton to step up, need. I’m not counting on much from our ultra talented 24 DL class yet, maybe later in the season.

Advertisement
I agree that 10-2 is the floor, but disagree with Staples and the other guy on how we get there. We're not gonna lose to Florida in Week 1. Florida's swiss cheese defense is gonna have to pick its poison with Ward or Martinez.
That’s how I see it, despite the home field advantage.

What makes me sick is how this team is being considered an after thought v. FSU…just chalking up a W for them. Funk that.

That’s how I see it, despite the home field advantage.

What makes me sick is how this team is being considered an after thought v. FSU…just chalking up a W for them. Funk that.
We haven't beat them in three years, so there's a mental block there w/regard to how analysts view us. I do think FSU is overvalued coming into this year. People are looking at the last two years rather than what's in front of them.

The fact that Bud Elliot of all people is trying to pump the breaks and set lower expectations tells me all I need to know about their weak points. Non-existent WR room, above average at best QB (with bad streaks), and a worse RB room than last year (albeit I think Toafili and Williams are a solid duo), raises a lot of flags. Also, their DL is topheavy. They don't have depth there, so if a big guy like Darrel Jackson goes down, they're in trouble. Same in the LB room.

Their offense benefited from versatility last year (pick your poison with Travis and the two NFL WRs + TE, or bet on stopping Trey Benson). They're going to be wayyyy more reliant on the run, especially with such an inexperienced WR group. To me, that's what has to be most alarming to them. They have a WR room with almost no existing production, chock-full of guys who never broke into a starting rotation at their prior stops or who got limited playing time last year.

Their issues at WR are a big reason why I think GT has a really good chance to upset them Week 1. Stop the run and force DJ and a questionable room to beat you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All the nonsense people have talked about Mario his first two years, year three is where good coaches get their fingerprints on a team and bring things a step forward—look at Mike Norvell and 10-3 in 2022 before 13-1 in 2023.

Mario built and o-line and d-line as promised, has a strong running game and reeled in the portal's best quarterback option.

2024 is setting up to be a good one and the future is bright for UM.

We look to be very very good at edge if healthy. DT is still a major concern though. As stated we need Moten or Horton to step up, need. I’m not counting on much from our ultra talented 24 DL class yet, maybe later in the season.

It's all about those first two downs. Can we put them behind the sticks on first down to bring in another penetrator? Can we get them in 3rd and long to substitute in the full fast package? Mesidor and Bain can shift inside if so. Then the OC is hosed.

Let Lightfoot get some burn late in games the first month and then I would like to see him totally 100% fresh on a 3rd and 7 late in the 3rd quarter against VT. You’re gonna get like 5 snaps tonight. So you can go absolutely balls to the wall on every single one and try to make a play. He won’t have near the impact Bain did because he’s not as physically ready and we don’t need him to, but I still expect he will make a couple really big plays this year in conference play. Dude was flat unblockable at the all-star game.
Can we expect a freshman year Jonathan Garvin level of impact and production?

Advertisement
Back