North Carolina at Miami (1-5-21) on ESPN at 8 pm

Now a positive I saw from tonight's game was the play of Nysier Brooks, despite the limited minutes due to foul trouble. Hopefully, it's a stepping stone for him moving forward. I'm still not sold on Wong or Timberlake. They show flashes and I think they're solid, but still a ways away from being draftable NBA prospects. Walker and Cross are formidable and also show promise, but I think playing out of position hurts them. Would love to see them play their natural positions for extended minutes and see what kind of production we could get from them.

Bless his heart, but to say Gak struggles at this level is being kind. I'd immediately demote or fire whomever recruited Gak and convinced Coach L to take him. Kid is not an ACC caliber player and I seriously question if he's good enough to play at the lower Division 1 level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Absolutely CHOKED that game away. I don’t care who is out, we were up 9 and had control of the game.

Then we completely got away from what was working and we allowed Timberlake and Beverly to play selfish hero ball. They finished a combined 6/27. Just dumbfounded how this team finds a new way to lose every game.

Sadly, this season is over.

Advertisement
The game was over once:
1. Brooks fouled out. Gak couldn’t defend or box out to save his life
2. Beverly and Timberlake decided to take every shot. Completely out of control and selfish. Olanyi was hot early and didn’t see the ball at all down the stretch. Wong is our best offensive player available and took just 8 shots. Cross is our best (and only) shooter and took just 4 shots.

its mind boggling that L continues to recruit so many undersized combo guards that can’t shoot. That’s not a recipe to win in today’s game. You shoot 3/16 from 3 and you won’t win many games. So many poor selfish shooters on this team. I’m looking at you, Beverly and Timberlake.

First 0-4 ACC start in program history

4-5 overall record is the worst start since 1992

We’ve had some awful injury luck, but I’m not sure how Coach L doesn’t at least deserve some blame for this. This isn’t the first subpar season either. We’re now 12-30 in the ACC in our last 3 seasons. I really don’t know how some of the slurpers and homers on this board can’t at least admit L deserves some blame for this. At nearly any other P5 school, L would be on the hot seat at this point.

Blah, blah, blah. Let's blame the players. Jim and his mediocre assistants recruited this roster. Three years running we have been devastated by injuries. Has any other of the 300-plus Division I teams had three straight seasons where they cannot have a full practice and at times can barely field a lineup? Leads blown, sloppy defense, unbalanced and unfilled recruiting, at times low basketball IQ, nearly non-existent three-point shooting. Any other Power 5 team and probably most mid-majors Jim is shown the door when the season is over. And for the record, I will still support the kids because they deserve our support. This staff is out of excuses.

Advertisement
Blah, blah, blah. Let's blame the players. Jim and his mediocre assistants recruited this roster. Three years running we have been devastated by injuries. Has any other of the 300-plus Division I teams had three straight seasons where they cannot have a full practice and at times can barely field a lineup? Leads blown, sloppy defense, unbalanced and unfilled recruiting, at times low basketball IQ, nearly non-existent three-point shooting. Any other Power 5 team and probably most mid-majors Jim is shown the door when the season is over. And for the record, I will still support the kids because they deserve our support. This staff is out of excuses.
We’re 12-30 in league play the last 3 seasons. We’ve lost 18 straight to ranked teams. That’s Perry Clark level of sucking.

At any other P5 program, that would warrant a firing or at least the HC and his staff on the hot seat. Here? Nothing. It’s sad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not sure what Wong was doing defensively on that last possession.

Great question. I fairness, he has missed the game winning shot in the last two games. He hit the game tying shot against Carolina so he has made progress on the offensive end. Now he needs to bring it on both ends.

Let’s be honest, our program is an absolute train wreck. I’m so tired of all the excuses. My question is, do we really want a competitive program? It appears to me, that we do not. If we do, this has to be the final year for Coach L.

Let’s be honest, our program is an absolute train wreck. I’m so tired of all the excuses. My question is, do we really want a competitive program? It appears to me, that we do not. If we do, this has to be the final year for Coach L.
Problem is two seasons ago it was FBI, Hernandez eligibilty and injury. Larranaga gets a pass because we were a tournament team 3 years in a row. Last year it was the injury excuse. Although 3 played in 31 games. 2 in 30, 1 in 28. 1 in 26, 1 in 25 and Stone in 18. Even when healthy we were not a good team and embarassingly bad on the road. Jim gets another pass. At some point enough is enough.

Great question. I fairness, he has missed the game winning shot in the last two games. He hit the game tying shot against Carolina so he has made progress on the offensive end. Now he needs to bring it on both ends.
He had defended well all game. Could've just been a lapse. Cross did not do a good enough job helping out either. Winning teams find ways to get stops in those situations.

Advertisement
Back