Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

1000000198.webp

Advertisement
It was okay when Bad Gameday Coach Butch, beat defending NC FSU in 2000 an̈d their supposed GREAT game day Coach, and then throttled UF in the Sugar Bowl and their coach, Mr. Great gameday coach Spurrier.
Bobby wasn’t exactly a strategic genius either. Especially later in his career. The ongoing joke was that once you saw Bobby put the headset on, you knew you had won the game.

Advertisement
I was a little kid when JJ was coaching Miami but i definitely remember the issues with Butch. A lot of weird issues like getting a delay of game penalty coming out of a timeout. Or having to use a timeout to avoid a delay penalty on the opening play of a quarter. Great clock/timeout management wasn’t one of Butch’s strengths. That’s alright.

He was. But he didn't really PROVE IT until 1987 and 1988. His first three years, he got hammered for being bad at gameday/big-game decision-making.
This right here.

And people forget the 84 Maryland game which was a catastrophic collapse on the level of last years Ga Tech game and he followed it up with the Hail Flutie game for good measure.

Advertisement
This right here.

And people forget the 84 Maryland game which was a catastrophic collapse on the level of last years Ga Tech game and he followed it up with the Hail Flutie game for good measure.
That had more to do with his coaching staff than him. He cleaned that up the following season

A lot people seem to think I’ll be actively rooting for them to win. For a year I’ve listened to my coworker say they were robbed, would’ve played UGA tough, Miami got lucky last season against FSU, the NCAA was actively against FSU, etc. It’s nauseating listening to him. So if given the choice between them going defeated or Miami bringing them to reality I’m choosing to let run the slate until then. It’s like working with the living breathing version of their 247 board.
You don’t want them having “top 5” as ammunition for recruiting.

The only real solution here is to plant drugs, or a murder weapon, in your coworkers desk and make sure he’s led out in cuffs.

That had more to do with his coaching staff than him. He cleaned that up the following season
That’s not the point. The noise still there. And some of it was, “it doesn’t matter that Olivadotti was in the elevator, the HC should have made sure he couldn’t get a pass off”. It sounds similar to “it doesn’t matter if Mario didn’t call the play, as HC he should have made sure we took the knee”.

I can imagine the hue and din that would have been if there was an internet then.

Advertisement
You don’t want them having “top 5” as ammunition for recruiting.

The only real solution here is to plant drugs, or a murder weapon, in your coworkers desk and make sure he’s led out in cuffs.

Consider this.

If F$U is "undefeated" coming into the Miami game...while it might "help us" with sportswriters (quality win)...

For the NEXT YEAR, we will have to hear from F$U fans how "lucky" Miami was to beat them, and it was a road game, and they had injuries to key players, etc. etc. etc.

Think back...over the last 40-50 years...do you ever recall an F$U fan coming up to you and telling you "yeah, Miami beat F$U fair-and-square last year, no excuses, no rationalizations, you just had the better team".

We can overcome sportswriter bias by winning games. But I am sick and tired of 40 years worth of "Miami was lucky to beat F$U this year". We've already watched F$U claim to be undefeated in a 13-1 season.

I would rather have F$U go 0-12 with Miami having an unimpressive victory over a terrible team than to listen to F$U fans complain for 364 straight days.

The following season, we gave up 35 unanswered points to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.

Just sayin'...
That's a bad argument to counter my truthful statement. He was saddled with holdovers from Schnellenberger, one of the reasons we had so many late collapses that year. His staff was divided. After he changed that, the games he lost could be counted on one hand.

Advertisement
That's a bad argument to counter my truthful statement. He was saddled with holdovers from Schnellenberger, one of the reasons we had so many late collapses that year. His staff was divided. After he changed that, the games he lost could be counted on one hand.

It's not a bad argument.

I am pointing out HOW Jimmy Johnson got his reputation for being a bad gameday/big-game coach throughout his first three years at Miami. And let's not forget JJ's 29-25-3 record at Oklahoma State, where his BEST record was 8-4. He "changed his coaches" in 1985 and still got blown out in a bowl game. It appears you have confused 1984 and 1985.

It's not right to re-tell the story with the benefit of knowing how it all ended.

The facts are the facts. Short of having a time machine to go forward to January 1, 1988, there were a LOT of questions about JJ's coaching abilities prior to that date.

Let's not ignore how Miami fans felt in 1984 and 1985 and 1986 and 1987 before JJ won his three rings.

Yes, in 2024, we all know JJ was a good coach. That was much less certain in the mid 1980s.

Consider this.

If F$U is "undefeated" coming into the Miami game...while it might "help us" with sportswriters (quality win)...

For the NEXT YEAR, we will have to hear from F$U fans how "lucky" Miami was to beat them, and it was a road game, and they had injuries to key players, etc. etc. etc.

Think back...over the last 40-50 years...do you ever recall an F$U fan coming up to you and telling you "yeah, Miami beat F$U fair-and-square last year, no excuses, no rationalizations, you just had the better team".

We can overcome sportswriter bias by winning games. But I am sick and tired of 40 years worth of "Miami was lucky to beat F$U this year". We've already watched F$U claim to be undefeated in a 13-1 season.

I would rather have F$U go 0-12 with Miami having an unimpressive victory over a terrible team than to listen to F$U fans complain for 364 straight days.
This is an excellent point. In 2020, I believe fsu fans said both, that if Travis had started it would’ve been different, in spite of the fact that Travis was in on their opening drive and there was video of him crawling off the field on all 4’s because of our defense. They also think Mike would’ve added the 49 points that it would’ve required to even tie the game

What’s been the intel on their scrimmages? Feel like we’ve heard plenty of the lizards but not much on the holes

Advertisement
Back