Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Nobody takes an NFL team out of the playoffs when they suffer a late-season injury. Or an MLB team. Or an NBA team.

I can think of a couple of NBA teams every year that sputter in the playoffs due to injuries.
That’s because those sports don’t use a committee to determine who makes the playoffs. They have a predetermined criteria where winning your division guarantees you a playoff spot even if you’re not one of the top teams in the conference record-wise. College football didn’t have a criteria like that. It’s a double edged sword because a “deserving” team like 2023 FSU could get bypassed but it also avoids the issue of an 8-4 conference champ getting an automatic bid over a 12-1 team that lost their conference championship game.

Advertisement
That’s because those sports don’t use a committee to determine who makes the playoffs. They have a predetermined criteria where winning your division guarantees you a playoff spot even if you’re not one of the top teams in the conference record-wise. College football didn’t have a criteria like that. It’s a double edged sword because a “deserving” team like 2023 FSU could get bypassed but it also avoids the issue of an 8-4 conference champ getting an automatic bid over a 12-1 team that lost their conference championship game.

Again, the mythical "8-4 conference champ" rears its ugly head.

I'm fully aware of the differences on selection. I'm pointing out that nobody clutches their pearls when an 8-8 division champ in the NFL makes the playoffs. Nobody is O-ffended. We don't feel the need to create a committee to overwhelm the norms and standards in order to get "better matchups".

And that's kinda the point. Undefeated conference champions OF THE BEST CONFERENCES (and that number varies a bit over history) have tended NOT to be excluded from the chance to play for the championship. Certainly, nobody has ever said "hey, we need to change the BCS formula or create a CFP Committee BECAUSE THAT ONE UNDEFEATED POWER CONFERENCE CHAMP WAS SO UNDESERVING".

When teams lose a game? Yes, there have been debates. When teams have otherwise "equal" faults, or are equally "undefeated", yes, there has been argument.

But we had three undefeated P5 conference champions last year and 4 slots. And as much as I hate F$U, and as much as we NOW know the "outcomes" of the games, it still doesn't retroactively make it right to deny an undefeated P5 champion the right to play for the championship.

That is the inherent hypocrisy of the whole situation, that people are trying to deny that the CFP committee was NOT put in place to substitute their judgement for the entire season that has been played up to that point, but they were put in place to make the tiebreaking calls over rankings between otherwise comparable teams.

I'm posting this here, because it will be pretty funny to think that one Purdy brother is getting a $325M contract while another Purdy brother got run out of Tallahassee...

But also, @RVACane , we need to adapt this phrase and use it for our favorite "well-done" poster...

1721933526517.webp

Advertisement
Again, the mythical "8-4 conference champ" rears its ugly head.

I'm fully aware of the differences on selection. I'm pointing out that nobody clutches their pearls when an 8-8 division champ in the NFL makes the playoffs. Nobody is O-ffended. We don't feel the need to create a committee to overwhelm the norms and standards in order to get "better matchups".

And that's kinda the point. Undefeated conference champions OF THE BEST CONFERENCES (and that number varies a bit over history) have tended NOT to be excluded from the chance to play for the championship. Certainly, nobody has ever said "hey, we need to change the BCS formula or create a CFP Committee BECAUSE THAT ONE UNDEFEATED POWER CONFERENCE CHAMP WAS SO UNDESERVING".

When teams lose a game? Yes, there have been debates. When teams have otherwise "equal" faults, or are equally "undefeated", yes, there has been argument.

But we had three undefeated P5 conference champions last year and 4 slots. And as much as I hate F$U, and as much as we NOW know the "outcomes" of the games, it still doesn't retroactively make it right to deny an undefeated P5 champion the right to play for the championship.

That is the inherent hypocrisy of the whole situation, that people are trying to deny that the CFP committee was NOT put in place to substitute their judgement for the entire season that has been played up to that point, but they were put in place to make the tiebreaking calls over rankings between otherwise comparable teams.

I know what you’re getting at, at its core. However this is pretty simply. Based on the selection committee criteria FSU was determined to be not one of the 4 best teams. You can not agree with the committee review criteria but that doesn’t mean the right decision wasn’t made based on the job and guidelines at hand.

This is all moot anyway with the playoff expansion.

I'm posting this here, because it will be pretty funny to think that one Purdy brother is getting a $325M contract while another Purdy brother got run out of Tallahassee...

But also, @RVACane , we need to adapt this phrase and use it for our favorite "well-done" poster...

View attachment 296087
Holy cow that dude ain’t worth that. But that’s got a different thread

Advertisement
Delusionoles are so hyped over their WR recruits, but yet they have yet to produce a WR in 5 classes to have more than 300 yds receiving. They actually think Dugans is making miracles over there.

Delusionoles are so hyped over their WR recruits, but yet they have yet to produce a WR in 5 classes to have more than 300 yds receiving. They actually think Dugans is making miracles over there.
Someone will emerge they going by potential which is understandable. But with this qb he will be erratic he always has been erratic. You can’t take that out of him(big pause)

Yea they only check their 10 yd times cause that’s as far as their AA QB throws his passes…

Advertisement
Someone will emerge they going by potential which is understandable. But with this qb he will be erratic he always has been erratic. You can’t take that out of him(big pause)
True, someone ALWAYS has to emerge. Wasnt it in 08 when Thearon Collier was our leading receiver? Like dont get me wrong, Collier was a nice kid and nothing against him but that dude was NOT winning games and should not have been any where close to a #1 WR spot and was not striking fear into any opposing DC.

True, someone ALWAYS has to emerge. Wasnt it in 08 when Thearon Collier was our leading receiver? Like dont get me wrong, Collier was a nice kid and nothing against him but that dude was NOT winning games and should not have been any where close to a #1 WR spot and was not striking fear into any opposing DC.
Facts but you have who you have. That’s recruiting for you

Was UGA better? Of course.

Were they "more worthy?". No. They lost a game at a "neutral site" (Atlanta is a **** of a lot closer to Athens vs Tuscaloosa). FSU won every game they had to play.

It's fun to laugh at FSU, of course. And if you want to say, was UGA one of the 4 best teams vs FSU being one? 10000%. But they weren't "more worthy". You can't be any more worthy than going 13-0 in a power 5 league.

But I said it about a billion times on this board and to all my fsu boys. This was the literal best possible scenario for fsu. Because if the committee put them in, they'd have gotten beat, without question. But this way, we'll never know, so they'll just be able to complain about it for the next 50 years. Again, as much fun as it is to laugh at the snub, I really wish the committee just put them in so they could lose by 21 to Michigan with their full team minus Travis and we'd have been able to put this **** to bed before it even started.
Going undefeated in SEC in regular season vs. going undefeated in the ACC is apples and Oranges. UGA got screwed more, imo. They were arguably the best team in the nation and were a few minutes away from making the playoffs. Not buying that narrative.

Advertisement
Going undefeated in SEC in regular season vs. going undefeated in the ACC is apples and Oranges. UGA got screwed more, imo. They were arguably the best team in the nation and were a few minutes away from making the playoffs. Not buying that narrative.

Ok but they lost. Wins and losses need to matter. I agree UGA, at their best, was probably the best team. Certainly one of the best 4. But the games have to matter or else why even play them?

FSU beat two SEC teams, by the way.

The four BEST teams were likely UGA, Washington, Michigan, and Texas. But Alabama beat UGA, in front of a largely UGA crowd. That has to matter.

Take the hatred aside. If this was some team we didn’t care about, y’all would feel a different type of way. If NC State went 13-0, beat LSU on a neutral, beat the gator in the swamp, beat Clemson at Clemson, beat Miami, won the ACC championship but their QB broke his leg, and they didn’t get in, y’all would be going nuts about “SEC bias” and all that ****. Just cause it happened to fsu means it was the right decision. You’re allowed to laugh at them and revel in the decision while still saying it was probably wrong.

Let’s get this thread back on topic

Which of the FSU commits is Mario gonna flip this year?

Charles is a secret visitor for the BBQ. Hilson is the best kid in their class imo not sure if we have any traction there

Solomon Thomas continues to have whispers

Norvell seems to be avoiding Mario at all costs

Advertisement
Back