Highlights New Football Facility and Parking Garage before Gables Council 12/9

Advertisement
It's not that I want it moved either, but it is inarguable that an extension of the IPF will eat up almost all of the easternmost Greentree field. And we need two Greentree fields. So, like or not, the track will be moved.

Look, Cobb was built when I was an undergrad. I love that track. I used to go there with one of my fraternity brothers and run laps and run around the steeplechase obstacles (probably gone now). But we are talking about math and geography, and the track is the most likely piece of the puzzle to be moved.

I mean...if you want to be REALLY REALLY honest...the tennis center is a piece that COULD be moved. Will it? I really don't know. But the dimensions of that space are flexible, you can lay out the courts in a square fashion, you could make it a long/skinny rectangle, whatever. Could it be moved to where the Hecht/Stanford cafeteria is now? Potentially.

Believe me, I've heard a lot of options over the past few years. The last "solid" info I had was that Cobb would move north, and if that changes, so be it. To be honest, it seems like they would need more space than what is showing now, meaning the track would have to extend into the footprint of Walsh and the Stanford front desk building, neither of which have been knocked down YET.

Gonna be interesting to see what ultimately happens. And fantastic to see it once all the construction is done.
I Loved watching Pat Burrell hit the Longest HR in Light History in the Regionals coming off an injury, that landed 500ft from home plate. @WanderFranco will agree. Never saw anything like that. Moonshot isn't the word...ball landed way on to Cobb.

my view from the Hecht dorms was the architecture school lol.
This is the view from my room the year b4 they torn down hecht

Attachments

• A0897654-5028-4863-909A-0A7EFFB7F034.jpeg
    A0897654-5028-4863-909A-0A7EFFB7F034.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 85
Advertisement
MAPS, YO!

H = New Hecht (old Hecht - ???).
D = New ****inson Drive Parking Garage AND Dining Hall for new dorms.

IPF expanded south.
Greentree shifting west.
Cobb moving north, adjacent to Music School.

X = all Towers, front desk, and cafeteria buildings torn down, new dorms built.

View attachment 218241

So what is going to happen to the Hecht. Best guess.

I Loved watching Pat Burrell hit the Longest HR in Light History in the Regionals coming off an injury, that landed 500ft from home plate. @WanderFranco will agree. Never saw anything like that. Moonshot isn't the word...ball landed way on to Cobb.

Not sure if this is the same homer, but one of my favorite moments at the Light was Burrell's homer to dead center to put the regional championship game away against North Carolina. I think that was 1998.

Not sure if this is the same homer, but one of my favorite moments at the Light was Burrell's homer to dead center to put the regional championship game away against North Carolina. I think that was 1998.
I'm talking the one that went 100' over the Light tower...but I do remember the one vs UNC

Advertisement
Since you guys are talking about baseball, just a random thing here off the top of my head, I can’t remember the game but it was a Regional a few years ago and I was sitting right next to the opposing pitchers dad, and this guy was heated. Anyway we went to go on and win the regional. And the crowd was singing and happy and started doing the “you wish you were Miami hurricane“ and this guy started to go ape****. I said something to him jokingly, like come on lighten up, because we had been somewhat pleasantly talking a little bit during the game, and he wanted to fight me. I just started to laugh.

Since you guys are talking about baseball, just a random thing here off the top of my head, I can’t remember the game but it was a Regional a few years ago and I was sitting right next to the opposing pitchers dad, and this guy was heated. Anyway we went to go on and win the regional. And the crowd was singing and happy and started doing the “you wish you were Miami hurricane“ and this guy started to go ape****. I said something to him jokingly, like come on lighten up, because we had been somewhat pleasantly talking a little bit during the game, and he wanted to fight me. I just started to laugh.

I wonder if that was the Boston College super regional. That got chippy, and those fans were ****ed.

I wonder if that was the Boston College super regional. That got chippy, and those fans were ****ed.

No it definitely wasn’t that. I’m going have to see if I took some pictures and go through my files. I just remember this guy‘s dad was actually really ****ed off at his head coach, didn’t think his son was being used properly throughout the season. Typical dad/son stuff. I’ve been around sports all my life having played sports and my kids played and all that. One thing I don’t pay attention to much is parents. From high school on, or even before, parents are always ****ed off at coaches. I mean always. This guy was no different. I almost felt sorry for him, because his ego is too involved in his own son success. That’s always a really bad combination.

Advertisement
I was a Student Government senator when Norm Parsons came in to ask us to put a student fee increase on the referendum. I heartily voted in favor. Best money we ever spent, but I would point out...WE HAD TO PAY FOR IT OURSELVES.

I could tell you a lot of stories where UM draaaaaaagggggged their feet on doing stuff for the students (increased lighting in remote parking lots, cough cough, a bridge over US 1) that they do now VERY quickly.

Glad that UM is riiiiich now. Wasn't that way in the 80s, though.
I was an undergrad between '82 - '86 and enjoyed some amazing football and unforgettable moments. However, the on-campus facilities and available resources for students were lacking.

So what is going to happen to the Hecht. Best guess.

Best guess, is that I think it will be redeveloped for all other sports and offices. Here are the bread crumbs.

It has already been announced that the weight room as "currently" set up is not the final product. The final version is supposed to be in a transitional space between old Hecht and the IPF, with glass walls that look into the IPF.

Also, I've been hearing $140 M to $150 M. If the "football Hecht" is priced at 100, that leaves another 50 to spend on old Hecht.

You already have that new(er) walkway between the tennis center and Hecht that gives access to the back areas (Schwartz and IPF), so you could conceivably work on the "front" of old Hecht without shutting everything down. Once "football Hecht" opens, you take a lot of staff out of old Hecht and put them elsewhere.

The primary question marks will be the gym and the HOF piece. Everything else is just boring offices and could easily be gutted. But you can't ignore that old Hecht is on a roadway, thus I don't think they'd convert that space into fields or anything. I could see a 3-story re-do of Hecht on San Amaro (currently 2 stories).

Best guess, based on some things I've heard that may not (yet) be included in the new building on ****inson.

Best guess, is that I think it will be redeveloped for all other sports and offices. Here are the bread crumbs.

It has already been announced that the weight room as "currently" set up is not the final product. The final version is supposed to be in a transitional space between old Hecht and the IPF, with glass walls that look into the IPF.

Also, I've been hearing $140 M to $150 M. If the "football Hecht" is priced at 100, that leaves another 50 to spend on old Hecht.

You already have that new(er) walkway between the tennis center and Hecht that gives access to the back areas (Schwartz and IPF), so you could conceivably work on the "front" of old Hecht without shutting everything down. Once "football Hecht" opens, you take a lot of staff out of old Hecht and put them elsewhere.

The primary question marks will be the gym and the HOF piece. Everything else is just boring offices and could easily be gutted. But you can't ignore that old Hecht is on a roadway, thus I don't think they'd convert that space into fields or anything. I could see a 3-story re-do of Hecht on San Amaro (currently 2 stories).

Best guess, based on some things I've heard that may not (yet) be included in the new building on ****inson.
This makes total sense. Would love to see the hof get an upgrade but not sure the funds are there

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back