Highlights New Football Facility and Parking Garage before Gables Council 12/9

The track will not be moved to the IM fields. I heard their was a proposal to move it to the Watsco parking lot, but I really doubt that happens.

That's what I was told not that long ago (move Cobb adjacent to Music School). I also heard the possibility of "other side of Mahoney-Pearson". I don't really have any dog in the fight of WHERE the track goes, but there has been talk of moving it.

I'd imagine that there are still a few moving parts. If you notice, the ORIGINAL plan for the new dorms was to have a cafeteria included within one of the buildings, but now that seems to have moved into the ****inson garage building. Furthermore, there was an ORIGINAL plan to replace "old Hecht", but it's still on the map (for now). And, finally, as I previously mentioned, there is an ongoing search for a women's softball field.

So, yes, there may yet be a few more twists and turns remaining in the Rubiks Cube of how we redevelop that side of the campus.

Advertisement
That's what I was told not that long ago (move Cobb adjacent to Music School). I also heard the possibility of "other side of Mahoney-Pearson". I don't really have any dog in the fight of WHERE the track goes, but there has been talk of moving it.

I'd imagine that there are still a few moving parts. If you notice, the ORIGINAL plan for the new dorms was to have a cafeteria included within one of the buildings, but now that seems to have moved into the ****inson garage building. Furthermore, there was an ORIGINAL plan to replace "old Hecht", but it's still on the map (for now). And, finally, as I previously mentioned, there is an ongoing search for a women's softball field.

So, yes, there may yet be a few more twists and turns remaining in the Rubiks Cube of how we redevelop that side of the campus.
I don’t know where the track is getting moved to, and I don’t think it’s confirmed where. But all I know is that it’s very unlikely to go to the IMs. First of all it too central and critical for student activities. And from what I was told (in passing) that in front of Watsco was a possibility for the relocation.

Personally I don’t think the track should get moved at all, I love UM football, but I care abt the school for most and we do not have the land to give the football program the track field.

I don’t know where the track is getting moved to, and I don’t think it’s confirmed where. But all I know is that it’s very unlikely to go to the IMs. First of all it too central and critical for student activities. And from what I was told (in passing) that in front of Watsco was a possibility for the relocation.

Personally I don’t think the track should get moved at all, I love UM football, but I care abt the school for most and we do not have the land to give the football program the track field.

It's not that I want it moved either, but it is inarguable that an extension of the IPF will eat up almost all of the easternmost Greentree field. And we need two Greentree fields. So, like or not, the track will be moved.

Look, Cobb was built when I was an undergrad. I love that track. I used to go there with one of my fraternity brothers and run laps and run around the steeplechase obstacles (probably gone now). But we are talking about math and geography, and the track is the most likely piece of the puzzle to be moved.

I mean...if you want to be REALLY REALLY honest...the tennis center is a piece that COULD be moved. Will it? I really don't know. But the dimensions of that space are flexible, you can lay out the courts in a square fashion, you could make it a long/skinny rectangle, whatever. Could it be moved to where the Hecht/Stanford cafeteria is now? Potentially.

Believe me, I've heard a lot of options over the past few years. The last "solid" info I had was that Cobb would move north, and if that changes, so be it. To be honest, it seems like they would need more space than what is showing now, meaning the track would have to extend into the footprint of Walsh and the Stanford front desk building, neither of which have been knocked down YET.

Gonna be interesting to see what ultimately happens. And fantastic to see it once all the construction is done.

It's not that I want it moved either, but it is inarguable that an extension of the IPF will eat up almost all of the easternmost Greentree field. And we need two Greentree fields. So, like or not, the track will be moved.

Look, Cobb was built when I was an undergrad. I love that track. I used to go there with one of my fraternity brothers and run laps and run around the steeplechase obstacles (probably gone now). But we are talking about math and geography, and the track is the most likely piece of the puzzle to be moved.

I mean...if you want to be REALLY REALLY honest...the tennis center is a piece that COULD be moved. Will it? I really don't know. But the dimensions of that space are flexible, you can lay out the courts in a square fashion, you could make it a long/skinny rectangle, whatever. Could it be moved to where the Hecht/Stanford cafeteria is now? Potentially.

Believe me, I've heard a lot of options over the past few years. The last "solid" info I had was that Cobb would move north, and if that changes, so be it. To be honest, it seems like they would need more space than what is showing now, meaning the track would have to extend into the footprint of Walsh and the Stanford front desk building, neither of which have been knocked down YET.

Gonna be interesting to see what ultimately happens. And fantastic to see it once all the construction is done.
Agreed my only hope with leaving the IM field mostly intact is that they can somehow fit two fields on the site given that they moved the javelin area just below the fields but that ain’t much space.

1670526697998.png

Advertisement
MAPS, YO!

H = New Hecht (old Hecht - ???).
D = New ****inson Drive Parking Garage AND Dining Hall for new dorms.

IPF expanded south.
Greentree shifting west.
Cobb moving north, adjacent to Music School.

X = all Towers, front desk, and cafeteria buildings torn down, new dorms built.

View attachment 218241
Dude… you’re the man for this one. Thanks for doing this.

Jeez campus looks different, filling up all the empty space with buildings. Intrigued to see how it looks in a decade with (hopefully) the new football facility, new centinal village, and music hall.

Yeah, the comparison is striking. In the older pic, the ONLY buildings taller than 3 floors are The Towers, Mahoney-Pearson, and the library.

In the future, nearly the entire campus will be in the 5-6-7 story range. Everything.

Advertisement
I'm on campus a lot and I get the sense UM is blowing out of that space.
UM is so freaking compact, It’s really cool right now because you always bump into someone you know but not so often it’s annoying. I just hope that with all these new tall buildings that it won’t start to feel like Manhattan, always being loomed over by tall @ss buildings.

UM is so freaking compact, It’s really cool right now because you always bump into someone you know but not so often it’s annoying. I just hope that with all these new tall buildings that it won’t start to feel like Manhattan, always being loomed over by tall @ss buildings.

The Med campus has been heading in this direction for a while.

I think that a big thing I've noticed is this...we are finally getting to the point where a new 5-story building can "block" the view of another building. Like the way that the new ****inson parking garage is going to block the view of (or the view from) the Wellness Center.

New Hecht blocking the IPF? Who cares, there are no windows in the IPF. But the Wellness Center was built to have nice views when you look out the windows, and now you are going to be staring straight into a parking garage. Same thing is partially true for the "new dorms" by Eaton vs. the Pavia/Levante parking garage.

And I imagine that this may continue. Used to be...you had some spacing in between buildings (though the law school and the Richter Library were pretty tight). In the future???

I think that a big thing I've noticed is this...we are finally getting to the point where a new 5-story building can "block" the view of another building. Like the way that the new ****inson parking garage is going to block the view of (or the view from) the Wellness Center.

New Hecht blocking the IPF? Who cares, there are no windows in the IPF. But the Wellness Center was built to have nice views when you look out the windows, and now you are going to be staring straight into a parking garage. Same thing is partially true for the "new dorms" by Eaton vs. the Pavia/Levante parking garage.

And I imagine that this may continue. Used to be...you had some spacing in between buildings (though the law school and the Richter Library were pretty tight). In the future???
It’s a small tragedy of blocking the Wellness center. Has a beautiful street presence especially cause it faces the road that served all freshman pass. Also helps keep the gym in the mind of students as you have to go past it. But it’s a small price to pay for development. I will say they should do a complete revamp of the wellness center cause now the gym/ rec facilities for the entire student body is small than that of the football team. Which in my opinion is a sham

Advertisement
C’mon when I attended the “facilites” consisted of a small room with a universal machine. Racquetball was a 3-wall outdoor court and basketball was played outside but 4 v 4 ‘cuz the court was too **** small.

We didn’t get crap for the tuition paid or the rec fee. Kids have it soooo much better today.

C’mon when I attended the “facilites” consisted of a small room with a universal machine. Racquetball was a 3-wall outdoor court and basketball was played outside but 4 v 4 ‘cuz the court was too **** small.

We didn’t get crap for the tuition paid or the rec fee. Kids have it soooo much better today.

Fair.

Yea but you probably attended a long time ago. Universities now are expected to have these type of facilities for students. And it atleast in my opinion with all the money getting spent on the football department and other departments of the school, the wellness center should also see some money for improvements. Also when students spend 70k a year it’s expected that the school has top tier facilities for its students.

Advertisement
Yea but you probably attended a long time ago. Universities now are expected to have these type of facilities for students. And it atleast in my opinion with all the money getting spent on the football department and other departments of the school, the wellness center should also see some money for improvements. Also when students spend 70k a year it’s expected that the school has top tier facilities for its students.

I was a Student Government senator when Norm Parsons came in to ask us to put a student fee increase on the referendum. I heartily voted in favor. Best money we ever spent, but I would point out...WE HAD TO PAY FOR IT OURSELVES.

I could tell you a lot of stories where UM draaaaaaagggggged their feet on doing stuff for the students (increased lighting in remote parking lots, cough cough, a bridge over US 1) that they do now VERY quickly.

Glad that UM is riiiiich now. Wasn't that way in the 80s, though.

I was a Student Government senator when Norm Parsons came in to ask us to put a student fee increase on the referendum. I heartily voted in favor. Best money we ever spent, but I would point out...WE HAD TO PAY FOR IT OURSELVES.

I could tell you a lot of stories where UM draaaaaaagggggged their feet on doing stuff for the students (increased lighting in remote parking lots, cough cough, a bridge over US 1) that they do now VERY quickly.

Glad that UM is riiiiich now. Wasn't that way in the 80s, though.
The school is definitely solid about doing stuff for students, but there is always areas to improve (like making sure they don’t move the IM fields). Nice to see all the other school wide improvements tho as we got that money money

the best view was Pearson looking out into the DT skyline

Advertisement
Back