Miami's Pro Day is Today

Advertisement
Miami's starting LBers last season

Spence - 12 bench press reps (Combine)
Futch - 13 bench press reps (Pro Day)
Gaines - 13 bench press reps (Last year's U tough)
Cookie - 13 bench press reps (Last year's U tough)

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

Gaines - 18 bench press reps
Perryman - 20+ bench press reps
Witt - 14 bench press reps (TRUE FRESHAMN)
Kirby - 16 bench press reps - (TRUE FRESHMAN)
Johnson - 20+ bench press reps
Cookie - 16 bench press reps

People saying higher bench press reps doesnt mean a stronger player just dont understand that when you show significant improvements in the bench, you show improvements in most every other facet of strength. Squat is particularly telling as well.

Last edited:
I don't think Spence did the bench press today.

Harald Gunn repped it 28 times, Figs got 32, Regis hit 26 and Ojomo 23

Harland Gunn might be the most disappointing.

The name of his game since day one was his strength.

It seems like he hasn't gotten legitimately stronger since he first stepped on campus.

He should have broken 30 with ease.

I agree

But tell old buddy to squat and he'll lift your facking house. I see what you're saying tho

I don't think Spence did the bench press today.

Harald Gunn repped it 28 times, Figs got 32, Regis hit 26 and Ojomo 23

Harland Gunn might be the most disappointing.

The name of his game since day one was his strength.

It seems like he hasn't gotten legitimately stronger since he first stepped on campus.

He should have broken 30 with ease.

I agree

But tell old buddy to squat and he'll lift your facking house. I see what you're saying tho

Harland Gunn should be able to squat TWO houses at this point.

This is the thing...ol boy is strong as an ox...but he was strong as an ox the day he walked on campus. When you are here for 4-5 years, you should be as strong as two oxen.

I said the same thing about Andrew Bain when he was here. He was a strong guy. But he never got stronger.

I don't recall how many reps of 225 Harland was putting up when he first stepped foot on campus, but IIRC, he was putting up ridiculous reps of 185 (HS standard) as a senior in HS.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The bengals are going to draft lamar in the 1st round... I think streeter ends up playing for the Saints.

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

People saying higher bench press reps doesnt mean a stronger player just dont understand that when you show significant improvements in the bench, you show improvements in most every other facet of strength. Squat is particularly telling as well.

Not sure anyone has said that, as that would be a pretty stupid argument because it would probably correlate the vast majority of times. However, what people do say is that you don't need to be all world in the bench press, a ROM that isn't really used in the capacity in which you test it during the combine, to be a good linebacker.

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

Not sure anyone has said that, as that would be a pretty stupid argument because it would probably correlate the vast majority of times. However, what people do say is that you don't need to be all world in the bench press, a ROM that isn't really used in the capacity in which you test it during the combine, to be a good linebacker.

How many NFL LBers today can't bench more than 12 reps?

Sean Spence and Jordan Futch just proved how weak and how much of a mockery and sham our S&C was for the past 4 years.

Advertisement
One thing I noticed from the info that's been coming out is we had a lot of entitled players. At Alabama pro day yesterday all their juniors and seniors participated and most of them are sure 1 st to 2nd rounders. Today at the U you got guys he barely stood out the combine refusing to workout, if your gonna do that at least be a stud first rounder...I wish these guys the best but I don't think many of these guys will make it in the nfl for more than 2 yrs.

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

Sean Spence and Jordan Futch just proved how weak and how much of a mockery and sham our S&C was for the past 4 years.

So what does forston (35), figs (32), Washington (28), ojomo (23), vernon (31), Gunn 28, TB (14), streeter (17) etc mean then? You just gonna ignore those numbers? ignorance at it's finest.

Futch putting up only 13 reps is absolutely pathetic. Seriously. And people wonder why he never made it here.

Advertisement

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

So what does forston (35), figs (32), Washington (28), ojomo (23), vernon (31), Gunn 28, TB (14), streeter (17) etc mean then? You just gonna ignore those numbers? ignorance at it's finest.

First of all, you should just not even post Ojomo's bench reps. That embarrassing

2nd of all, you have 2 WR's that out benched our STARTING LBers!!!!!

How is this helping your case? Golden said last year only 11 players could bench over 20 reps. Those are 5 of them above. FROM AN 85 MAN ROSTER..........ONLY 11 COULD PUSH 225 MORE THAN 20 TIMES!!!!!

SHUT YOUR *** UP!!!!

Vernon 4.68
Smith 4.88
Byrd 4.46
Chambers 4.41
Washington 5.07
Ojomo 4.95
Futch 4.89
Robinson 4.88
Smith 4.88

Underwhelming

so...we were small, weak and slow. No wonder we were 6-6.

Advertisement

Miami's 2012 LBer corp

First of all, you should just not even post Ojomo's bench reps. That embarrassing

2nd of all, you have 2 WR's that out benched our STARTING LBers!!!!!

How is this helping your case? Golden said last year only 11 players could bench over 20 reps. Those are 5 of them above. FROM AN 85 MAN ROSTER..........ONLY 11 COULD PUSH 225 MORE THAN 20 TIMES!!!!!

SHUT YOUR *** UP!!!!

The DT from LSU did 19 reps but i shouldn't post Ojomo's 23 b/c it's embarrassing to an internet cat? lmao.

Vernon 4.68
Smith 4.88
Byrd 4.46
Chambers 4.41
Washington 5.07
Ojomo 4.95
Futch 4.89
Robinson 4.88
Smith 4.88

Underwhelming

Byrd is faster than I thought actually. I thought he'd be a 4.55 guy.

Vernon's and Chamber's times are pretty good.

The rest are pathetic.

Vernon 4.68
Smith 4.88
Byrd 4.46
Chambers 4.41
Washington 5.07
Ojomo 4.95
Futch 4.89
Robinson 4.88
Smith 4.88

Underwhelming

Miami went 6-6 b/c the coaches thought DE Robinson with his 4.8 speed could cover guys like marylands megget out of the backfield one on one. Same with gaines and the kid from UV.

Vernon 4.68
Smith 4.88
Byrd 4.46
Chambers 4.41
Washington 5.07
Ojomo 4.95
Futch 4.89
Robinson 4.88
Smith 4.88

Underwhelming

Byrd is faster than I thought actually. I thought he'd be a 4.55 guy.

Vernon's and Chamber's times are pretty good.

The rest are pathetic.

Smith/Robinson/Ojomo/Futch/Spence/JoJo

6 guys who started on D - all slow, weak and smallish.

Advertisement
Back