Mario on Joe Rose

You're right it is absurd.

Did they help by not ******* up on the last drive? Just barely. The defense does not deserve anywhere near the same amount of credit for us winning the games as the offense does. Are you insane? When medicore offenses continue to put up the most points they have scored all season by a wide margin, your defense does not automatically get credit. The #1 offense in CFB won us those games.

We won IN SPITE OF our atrocious defense.

I mean, I agree with you to an extent. Anyone trying to hype the defense is looking for some obscure stat to justify what is widely known. Our defense is not that disciplined, get fooled by eyecandy and we lack athletes in the secondary. It is below average overall but of course there is a thing or two they do above average.

However, football is a team sport so there is always credit and blame to go round. We won by 7. ST gave up a TD, offense fumbled in FG range (so assume at least a FG but they did get a TD) and we got a defensive TD. So yes the offense deserves praise and is the MAIN reason we won and teams that have no business scoring at will have been on our defense but by my account 10 points in the Lville column were not the defenses fault and 7 points in the miami column were due to the defense.

Advertisement
I mean, I agree with you to an extent. Anyone trying to hype the defense is looking for some obscure stat to justify what is widely known. Our defense is not that disciplined, get fooled by eyecandy and we lack athletes in the secondary. It is below average overall but of course there is a thing or two they do above average.

However, football is a team sport so there is always credit and blame to go round. We won by 7. ST gave up a TD, offense fumbled in FG range (so assume at least a FG but they did get a TD) and we got a defensive TD. So yes the offense deserves praise and is the MAIN reason we won and teams that have no business scoring at will have been on our defense but by my account 10 points in the Lville column were not the defenses fault and 7 points in the miami column were due to the defense.
Yes, it is a team game and they have done some things well. I do not have a problem giving the defense their flowers when they deserve it. We're talking 85/15 offense to defense. But to say they deserve the same amount as the offense is absurd.

Please summarize the interview. I could not hear the interview. Many thanks in advance.
Most of it was just coachspeak, but Mario did say we were misaligned on the long TD run and that there was a bust on the TD pass to Brooks when #7 came across the field. My best guess is Kiko wasn't supposed to follow Baron into the same gap on the run. He praised the young guys who got burn - Zayquan and OJ especially and Cole and Justin Scott. Was still ****ed off about the kick off coverage.

Advertisement
Harris is unplayable and Hill is hot on his heels. You’re not serious about playing time being earned if you keep trotting these boys out there.

Most of it was just coachspeak, but Mario did say we were misaligned on the long TD run and that there was a bust on the TD pass to Brooks when #7 came across the field. My best guess is Kiko wasn't supposed to follow Baron into the same gap on the run. He praised the young guys who got burn - Zayquan and OJ especially and Cole and Justin Scott. Was still ****ed off about the kick off coverage.
And Coach said he thought Zayquan caused on fumble on the play the refs didn't review for reasons unknown. They never showed a replay zoomed in on the ball, but unless the TE was bobbling it I thought he clearly made a football move upfield before Zayquan knocked the ball out, and #19 made an immediate recovery.Was a huge play cause they ended up getting a TD on that drive after they converted the fake punt

Advertisement
Ok bro, in what world should this guy have been allowed to transfer here AND START? 55% of the time he was giving up receptions AT MARSHALLView attachment 308067
In the world where other guys behind him are even worse. Who do you want to put in? Brown is hurt. Richards gives up as many yards. Theres a freshman on the other side. There are 125 other schools that were competing for any talented CBs that didn't come here cause we sucked *** last year. So who do you think we should've gotten instead, Bro?

Step 1 is Pulling Richard out and putting Porter back outside. Do that and then see where things stand at the very least.

There are 2-3 plays over the last 3 games that have made these games much closer than they need to be.

VT - 2 Cam ward Red Zone turnovers + a fumble in their territory + a heinous holding call on a TD

Cal - Pick 6 + busted 4th down stop

Louisville - KO for TD then a fumble right after

For VT/Cal our defense helped us win the game almost as much as the offense. When we needed stops we got them. You don’t come back from being down double digits in the 4th Q without the defense rising to the occasion. Now we need our 4th Q defense to translate to Quarters 1,2 & 3
Yeah, just a few of the reasons why I'm not as down on the defense as others are.

Are they elite?

Nowhere near.

But we are also nowhere near as bad as some make us out to be. We actually have some pretty decent numbers statistically.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, just a few of the reasons why I'm not as down on the defense as others are.

Are they elite?

Nowhere near.

But we are also nowhere near as bad as some make us out to be. We actually have some pretty decent numbers statistically.
Here are our numbers statistically vs ACC teams

Scoring defense - 121st
YPG allowed -- 84th
YPP allowed -- 110th
Passer Rating allowed -- 84th
YPA allowed -- 75th
Passing YPG allowed -- 106th
Yards per rush allowed -- 101st
3rd downs allowed -- 61st

Everytime I see a Damari post I cringe. The entire secondary is *** and yall keep pretending one player coming off a serious injury will fix that. We create our own monsters.
This

And Damari's sample size is tiny. People are crowning him as a savior based off a recruiting ranking.

(In my best Philip Bailey voice):

“The reason, the reason that we’re here”

Is due to poor evaluations, saying otherwise is being disingenuous. This board HAS to stop calling every kid who puts on the uniform, elite & stop getting pumped off of slow motion, cut up practice hype film.

Here’s been our secondary recruiting since 2022 (including portal):

-Graves (portal’d out)
-Rogers (portal’d out)
-Williams (JAG)
-Harris (JAG)
-Porter (Inconsistent)
-Stafford (JAG)
-Brown (Inconsistent)
-Spencer (portal’d out)
-Freeney (portal’d out)
-Richard (JAG AF)
-Davis (drafted to NFL-Practice Squad)
-Roberts (portal’d out)
-Brown (portal’d out)
-Patterson (TF-TBD)
-Frédérique (TF-TBD)
-Mack (TF-TBD)
-Day (TF-TBD)
-Hill (JAG)
-Powell (Inconsistent)
-Taylor (JAG)
-Riley (portal’d out)

We need the classes of 2024-2025 to hit, period, & that’s not a hyperbole.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back