Mario on Joe Rose

Kiko is not a 3 down LB. Either is Wesley. Popo needs to play more. Like I said idc if we have to play true freshman at db. Anything is better than seeing Richard, Harris, Hill, and Porter out there.

Advertisement
Everytime I see a Damari post I cringe. The entire secondary is *** and yall keep pretending one player coming off a serious injury will fix that. We create our own monsters.

I think what people are trying to get at is figuring out a way to get this defense from a 3-4 to a 5-6. If Damari, Quan, and some tweaks to the scheme get you marginally better that may be enough.

Both VT and Louisville are 1-2 defensive stops from being comfortable wins. The Cal game is probably 1-2 plays away from being a completely different game.

The defense is not good and also close to being good enough. That's what frustrates people and that's why people are looking at Damari and Quan.

I don't think Kiko's issues are mental but physical. He isn't the sideline to sideline type and he's the one always getting caught up in the misdirection or on the wheel routes. OC's are targeting him.

I did see where Popo was subbing in for Kiko and looked good (to my untrained eye...also pause) and it gave him a breather

Harris I have no hope for.
Aguirre is a better LB than Mauigoa (eventually) but the Cal game Aguirre was doing the same things as far as mistakes

Something ain’t right with this defense and Kiko didn’t suddenly become a bad LB

But I do like seeing Aguirre getting more reps he’s a far more complete player than Kiko (from what little I’ve seen) he plays with much better instincts and feel he was a Georgia recruit at LB for a reason

On the surface our fg and punt protection is good. But looking at film on kickoffs and punts, the players look undisciplined on their lane coverage and blocking. It looks like they scratch the surface on it and don’t take any time practicing it.

Semper Canes!!!
do we even have a special team coordinator: To be honest Borra gales, basically kicks everything into the end zone. This last game, it looked like they were kicking it short on purpose.
What's frustrating with this team, if they were just fundamentally sound, these games wouldn't even be close.

Advertisement
Aguirre is a better LB than Mauigoa (eventually) but the Cal game Aguirre was doing the same things as far as mistakes

Something ain’t right with this defense and Kiko didn’t suddenly become a bad LB

But I do like seeing Aguirre getting more reps he’s a far more complete player than Kiko (from what little I’ve seen) he plays with much better instincts and feel he was a Georgia recruit at LB for a reason
True regarding the Cal game, but the caveat to that is Popo is what a RFr and not a 5th/6th yr senior, so the development is still on-going for the kid.

Overall, something has to change and I have to think Mario knows this as well and with the next handful of games coming up I wonder if Mario starts the youth movement on the back seven. Our front four have been good imo but are getting schemed up.

Advertisement
Simplify it. Play Cover 2 and keep everything in front of you. Let the D-Line try to cause havoc
Alot of the secondary problem is discipline and effort ie....DPJ made a great play on an out route late in the game, but half *** on the tackle and the wr got like 10 addional yards cause we lack effort or assume someone else will make the play!! I truly believe we just have stupid, lazy dbs that know they are not gonna be benched cause there is no else to put in the game. Recruiting and competition will fix alot of this going foward.

True regarding the Cal game, but the caveat to that is Popo is what a RFr and not a 5th/6th yr senior, so the development is still on-going for the kid.

Overall, something has to change and I have to think Mario knows this as well and with the next handful of games coming up I wonder if Mario starts the youth movement on the back seven. Our front four have been good imo but are getting schemed up.
It’s just not as simple as benching starters for backups is all I’m saying

Go back to the Cal game and look at the comments our fans made about Popo. Sam Brown shoulda been benched 100x this year. Markell Bell. The list goes on around here

Our fans are ******* idiots

But you can see the trajectory of some players like him and Patterson playing more and that’s what I like to see

Advertisement
What I think many are missing is that DPJ is playing out of position in the slot because of Damari's injury. He was (at least statistically) one of the best corners in the conference last year and was playing the boundary.

Again, one injury shouldn't tell the whole story but we're handicapping ourselves by playing our best corner in a spot he's clearly not equipped to be in. Damari being healthy doesn't make our secondary even average (Harris needs to sit ASAP imo), but I do think having Porter play outside would make a marginal difference.
Agree 100% here. Thats the #1 dilemma we face on defense, our best corner is out of position and has struggled but our 2nd best nickel is probably our best safety so u cant move either one

There are 2-3 plays over the last 3 games that have made these games much closer than they need to be.

VT - 2 Cam ward Red Zone turnovers + a fumble in their territory + a heinous holding call on a TD

Cal - Pick 6 + busted 4th down stop

Louisville - KO for TD then a fumble right after

For VT/Cal our defense helped us win the game almost as much as the offense. When we needed stops we got them. You don’t come back from being down double digits in the 4th Q without the defense rising to the occasion. Now we need our 4th Q defense to translate to Quarters 1,2 & 3

Advertisement
The kickoff return to me was the most frustrating thing that entire game. You can make the argument it gave them 14 points.
Not only the 14 points but the speed at which they happened.... in less than a minute you went from being up 14 points with practically a 25 minutes left to play..... under "normal" circumstances they at least burn another 5-8 minutes having to drive against the defense.

The secondary

sa5j2ekyw9p41.jpg

Advertisement
Back