MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Driving school ended early last night for Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha High School RB Anthony McFarland.
Little did he know it would become one of the longest evening's of his life.
His driving instruction wrapped up an hour early, at 8 p.m., and McFarland walked across the street to a local restaurant where his family and four Maryland coaches, including head coach DJ Durkin, were waiting.

Anthony knew what he had to do.
It wasn't going to be easy, but he wanted to do Terrapin coaches the honor of at least letting them know in person he would be a Miami Hurricane.
Throughout his recruitment the hometown coaches had thrown everything at him. Whenever there was a hint of him favoring the Canes they would call and drive to his school to make sure he knew how much he was wanted ... and needed. At one point McFarland even asked a reporter not to publicly name Miami his leader because he wanted some peace and quiet that evening.
But it was that time. He had his Cane announcement video done, it was set to be released the next day.
"He was definitely going to pick Miami," McFarland's father, Anthony Sr., told CaneSport on Wednesday evening. "But I guess he was never 100 percent sure, because that meeting changed things."

It wasn't long into dinner that McFarland spit out the words at the Maryland coaches: "I'm picking Miami."

Their reaction?

What any good coaches would do. They asked for more time, for him to reconsider. They told McFarland the pros and cons of choosing the hometown school vs. the Canes.

"What Maryland talked about was the uncertainty of going away, going to Miami and feeling comfortable that it's the right choice for him and if things are going to work out for the best there," Anthony Sr. said. "They talked about the advantage to him staying home, certain things. Coaches explained the pros of staying home, the fact that his friends are there, he's up there a lot, spends a lot of time up there now as it is. So why not stay home? Build a legacy there. That got Anthony's wheels turning." Coaches also echoed a common refrain from those in this situation: The idea that home state schools favor kids that come from in state. In other words Miami will favor Miami kids and Maryland will favor Maryland kids when it comes to playing time.
"I hear that so much I get tired of hearing it," Anthony Sr. said. "But all the schools say that schools favor kids in their home state because they have to recruit their home state first. It makes sense."

That's never been Miami's way, of course, but recruiting is recruiting.

"Of course wherever he goes he's going to have to work hard," Anthony Sr. says. "He's going to do that, he's going to ball. That's just him. It's just that underlying feeling within him - do I need to stay home, need to create a legacy or go away and be part of a legacy."
During dinner Anthony was convinced to take more time, although he didn't tell Maryland coaches that at the time. It was after talking with his parents following the meeting he ultimately decided to delay the decision.

Now dad says it's at the point it's 50-50 with both schools.
"The thing is we love Miami but there is a lot of benefit to him staying home, too," Anthony Sr. said. "Anthony wanted to make sure that it's the right decision. What is the right decision, the best move for him? That's why he wanted to pull the video from coming out so he can take another day and go through it and actually think about what's best for him."

The new announcement date is Friday, and dad says they're sticking to that.
"At this point we want it to be over and done with," Anthony Sr. said. "We're targeting Friday."

Honestly, based on that, if true, I think he's coming to Miami, but I actually feel a little better after reading that. Maybe I'm completely wrong, which I usually am.

I agree kid has been trying to keep it under wraps for some time to stay away from home town pressure and these coaches laid into him basically begging for more time. He gave in to give them more time to make them feel better. I am surprised he doesn't wait till signing day to just send in his papers. What these coaches dont realize is their stopping this kid from celebrating his choice. Their stopping him from being in the limelight. Sounds like a really good kid but in the end... he is a cane... always has been.

Advertisement
Cauliflower makes me gassy

Asparagus makes my urine smell terrible.

I think you'll find that if when you pee you get more of it in the toilet and less of it on your face you won't even notice how it smells.

Not trying to be funny here. I have actually rewritten the next sentence a couple of times. According to a few women I know, after I have consumed some Asparagus the ******** tastes different for them. I think there is something to the Asparagus thing!

You never eat asparagus on a date. Nobody ever told you that?

Advertisement
Cauliflower makes me gassy

Asparagus makes my urine smell terrible.

I think you'll find that if when you pee you get more of it in the toilet and less of it on your face you won't even notice how it smells.

Not trying to be funny here. I have actually rewritten the next sentence a couple of times. According to a few women I know, after I have consumed some Asparagus the ******** tastes different for them. I think there is something to the Asparagus thing!

asparagus stank is what's up. I won't meet up on tinder without slowcooking 3lbs of ***-par-rag-Gus first. es love that **** more than happy hour at a Carrabbas

this!

Dont think im gonna get any work done tomorrow...I will b in my office and on my phone refreshing this thread every 15-30 minutes

Crootin mayne woo! It keeps bringing me back every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
He's coming guys. Wanted to build a lil drama to save face with Maryland and act like he was truly undecided..

When the coaches ambushed him at the diner, he promised to give the decision more thought and so extended it by 48 hours (which won't actually change his decision)

I guarantee that he's a cane tomorrow

Advertisement
He's coming guys. Wanted to build a lil drama to save face with Maryland and act like he was truly undecided..

When the coaches ambushed him at the diner, he promised to give the decision more thought and so extended it by 48 hours (which won't actually change his decision)

I guarantee that he's a cane tomorrow

He's putting on a show now. The other day he wore a Miami sweatshirt in the am and changed into a UMD Jacket in the pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back