MacFarland to Maryland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha High School RB Anthony McFarland "has an idea" where he'll be playing college football.

That per his father, Anthony Sr.

Dad told CaneSport early Thursday afternoon that his son will finalize things tonight with the family and announce the decision tomorrow.

"We're still setting up a time," dad said. "Anthony will tweet something out about it."

He has made two videos - one with a happy ending for the Canes, the other with a not so happy ending for Miami fans.

"He actually made both videos a while ago when he was still uncertain," Anthony Sr. said.

So where will he choose?

Dad's not even sure at this point.

But Miami made a big push to try and keep him a Cane yesterday when running backs coach Thomas Brown met with the back and his family for a couple of hours.

"He was with Anthony first, then when I got there we met also," dad said. "It went well. But you hear the same thing over and over, the advantages of him coming to Miami, the legacy that's there already, he can come in right away if he works hard and be an impact immediately. You know, same old."

That was the final in-person word from college coaches. There will be no more visits from Miami or Maryland.

"Done with the coaches, I don't want to see anymore coaches," dad said with a laugh.

The final word here?

"It all boil down to how Anthony feels," dad said. "They are both the same, everybody is saying the same thing that he's been hearing. Nobody's been saying anything different at this point. It's really him working through it, trying to figure out what's the best fit for him."

I think people are conflating having first round talent with being a first round pick. Teams really aren't investing many first round picks on RB's. So ten years ago Walton would probably be a first round lock but in today's NFL, teams think they can get productive RB's later in the draft. Could Walton sneak into the end of the first round? Possibly, but to act like it's a lock is wrong.

'16 Zeke Elliott 1-4
'15 Todd Gurley 1-10
'15 Melvin Gordon 1-15
'14 --
'13 --
'12 Trent Richardson 1-3
'12 Doug Martin 1-31
'12 David Wilson 1-32
'11 Mark Ingram 1-28

Advertisement
Two RBs on the roster is not 'fine'. Until Burns walks again he's not even considered a player here.

We'd pick up a transfer. It's FINE.

Ridiculous. Yeah, there are a ton of transfer RBs out there with the talent of McFarland...whatever.

We have more QBs on the roster right now than RBs, and that is just crazy.
Did I say that a transfer would be as good as Mac? No. It would be a depth piece. But no no, you guys keep crying about McFarland who may still be coming. I'll go enjoy the rest of our class while this plays out. Crootin newbs, I swear.

"Crootin newbs". What a joke. I started at UM in 1986, I've been through this for decades. I've also seen plenty of times when coaches have put all their eggs in one recruiting basket and come up empty.

I simply took issue with your delusional, and capitalized "It's FINE." No, it's not "FINE". It would be a major loss at a key position, particularly when trying to work in a new QB. Only a year ago, we were facing the possible loss of Walton due to a criminal investigation. At least last year, we could turn to Yearby and Edwards.

This year, if Walton blows out a knee during practice, we would have to turn to Homer (has not yet played or proven anything), Burns (seemingly always injured) and Gray (seemingly always injured).

That situation does NOT become "FINE" with a grad-transfer RB, particularly when you look at who is on the market.

It doesn't matter if YOU say McFarland or a grad-transfer would be a "depth piece", if Walton goes down, that player might just be the next man up.

Football newbs. It's amazing how much they choose to ignore the injury factor.
McFarland is important because he's a difference maker, not because of depth. Depth at RB is good enough. You guys are all going with the "Homer has done nothing" rap. He's done more than McFarland. He's a guy with all kinds of tools.

And in a pinch you could coach Deejay up to play RB this year.

Maryland insiders on 247 say there are a lot of good vibes and chatter about him and the terps.

Quite the change of tune from Papa Mac from Wednesday being "all in on Miami" to now being tired of hearing the same old from Miami. Bags got dropped folks. Big Under Armor bags

Maryland insiders on 247 say there are a lot of good vibes and chatter about him and the terps.

They said the same about Calvin Ashley and Tariq Castro fields and all of that. So we will see

Advertisement
His pops sound like he tired of this ****. Sounded irritated about the maryland coaches saying miami would favor the local kids and now with brown.

Quite the change of tune from Papa Mac from Wednesday being "all in on Miami" to now being tired of hearing the same old from Miami. Bags got dropped folks. Big Under Armor bags

He said the same thing about being tired of hearing from coaches after Maryland's final pitch.

Advertisement
We'd pick up a transfer. It's FINE.

Ridiculous. Yeah, there are a ton of transfer RBs out there with the talent of McFarland...whatever.

We have more QBs on the roster right now than RBs, and that is just crazy.
Did I say that a transfer would be as good as Mac? No. It would be a depth piece. But no no, you guys keep crying about McFarland who may still be coming. I'll go enjoy the rest of our class while this plays out. Crootin newbs, I swear.

"Crootin newbs". What a joke. I started at UM in 1986, I've been through this for decades. I've also seen plenty of times when coaches have put all their eggs in one recruiting basket and come up empty.

I simply took issue with your delusional, and capitalized "It's FINE." No, it's not "FINE". It would be a major loss at a key position, particularly when trying to work in a new QB. Only a year ago, we were facing the possible loss of Walton due to a criminal investigation. At least last year, we could turn to Yearby and Edwards.

This year, if Walton blows out a knee during practice, we would have to turn to Homer (has not yet played or proven anything), Burns (seemingly always injured) and Gray (seemingly always injured).

That situation does NOT become "FINE" with a grad-transfer RB, particularly when you look at who is on the market.

It doesn't matter if YOU say McFarland or a grad-transfer would be a "depth piece", if Walton goes down, that player might just be the next man up.

Football newbs. It's amazing how much they choose to ignore the injury factor.
McFarland is important because he's a difference maker, not because of depth. Depth at RB is good enough. You guys are all going with the "Homer has done nothing" rap. He's done more than McFarland. He's a guy with all kinds of tools.

And in a pinch you could coach Deejay up to play RB this year.

You gotta close a kid like this IMO. He has elite speed and plays for a national powerhouse that has produced alot of D-1 players and NFL caliber players. Its a big blow to not land him with all the time and effort we put in on him. I think we could have landed another 4 star closer to the 305 with all the attention we placed on him. That is a big factor in this as well.

Advertisement
What I would have told McFarland Jr about legacy is this:

"Do you think it is better to shine and be a superstar at Miami, where the standards for superstardom are higher due to our Legacy, or be a superstar for Maryland, where they would celebrate you for just having a 1000 yard season?" "How high is your ceiling? The only way to truly find out is at a school with the tradition of Miami, and coaches like Mark Richt who has coached some of the best in the business."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back