LONNIE WALKER COMMITS

Kid dropped 37 on Chester in the state playoffs this past year as a junior.

Chester announcers said last time they saw a kid like him was Kobe his Sr season

He definitely will not be afraid

Advertisement
Have been basking in various UK, Arizona message boards....THEY MAD.

I love how they are trying to throw the program under the bus, like Miami hasn't been making runs in March lately. Miami has two Sweet 16 appearances in the last four years, a trip to the NIT Final Four, and a conference title. That's all in the last four years, but hey. It's not like Coach L recruits PA well or anything.

Advertisement
Here is the insider article from espn

Scout's Take: ESPN 100 SG Lonnie Walker headed to Miami
10:34 AM ET
Adam Finkelstein
ESPN.com
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
Five-star shooting guard Lonnie Walker surprised the recruiting world on Wednesday morning when he announced via his twitter account that he was heading to the University of Miami. Here's a look at what the Reading, Penn. native will bring to Coral Gables.

Why he committed: He had five schools on his final list with Arizona, Kentucky, Syracuse and Villanova all joining Miami. He was rumored to be an Arizona lean for much of the fall but reportedly had second thoughts after they landed a commitment from Brandon Randolph, a comparable wing. Villanova was the hometown favorite, especially coming off their national championship, but ultimately there was a desire by Walker and his family to get away from home. Ultimately, that left Kentucky and Miami since Walker hadn't visited Syracuse. The Hurricanes had recruited Walker for the better part of the last two years, made him a top priority of this year's class even after they had landed other impact pieces and have a strong pipeline into the Team Final EYBL program that previously produced both current senior Davon Reed as well as junior Ja’Quan Newton.

What he brings: Walker is a big guard and high level shooter from behind the three-point line. At 6-foot-5 with a strong body, his frame is close to college ready on the perimeter while his size enables him to get his shot off over top of contesting smaller guards. He's a high percentage spot-up threat who is equally dangerous shooting off the dribble and a developing threat to run off screens away from the ball. Long term, he projects as the type of guy who head coach Jim Larranaga can run plays for in the halfcourt. Positional wise, he's best described as a two-guard with enough size and strength to play either wing position. He's also a good athlete who can make plays with the ball in the open floor and loves to utilize his body control when finishing around the rim. Walker has emerged at a rapid rate within the last 18 months but still has his best basketball in front of him as he continues to develop an in-between game, his overall basketball I.Q. and efficiency.

How he fits: Miami is set to graduate two starters this year in Reed and forward Kamari Murphy. Freshman Bruce Brown came off the bench in the season opener, but that might not last the entire year, as his maturity and overall impact isn't that of a typical freshman. Expect him to start next to Newton in the backcourt next year, if not sooner, while Walker and fellow 2017 signee Chris Lykes play quality minutes off the bench from day one. That young perimeter trio of Lykes, Brown and Walker is about as good as it gets and will be capable of seeing plenty of time together as Laranaga is likely to explore more three-guard line-ups in the coming years with the collective size and athleticism of both Brown and Walker on the wing and Anthony Lawrence's ability to be utilized as a small-ball type of four. The bottom line is that one of the ACC's best coaches is now going to have nearly unprecedented talent, depth and versatility at his disposal for the coming years.

Who he reminds us of: There are definite parallels between Walker and Reed, all of which should allow him to compete for the minutes that the graduating senior is vacating. While Reed may be more wing and Walker more guard, both are good three-point shooters with perimeter size and open floor athleticism. The fact that they come from similar roots should make the transition all the more seamless and allow Walker to make an immediate impact.

How the class is shaping up: This is an almost ideal scenario for Miami. They were already very pleased with their class to date and thus able to invest all of their energy into punctuating an already strong group with a five-star talent like Walker, the highest rated player to commit to Miami since ESPN started covering recruiting in 2007. Samuel Waardenburg, a skilled 6-foot-9 perimeter forward from New Zealand, is on board and expected to enroll at mid-year. Walker joins two others ESPN 100 products, all from the northeast region, in Deng Gak and Lykes. Gak is a skilled 6-foot-10 forward who has a high ceiling but will need to be given some time to develop his body and continue to adjust to the American game after only arriving from Australia last year. Lykes is one of the most exciting players in the country. He's only 5-foot-6 but he's dynamic with the ball, absolutely fearless and able to make shots and penetrate the defense alike.

I love how they are trying to throw the program under the bus, like Miami hasn't been making runs in March lately. Miami has two Sweet 16 appearances in the last four years, a trip to the NIT Final Four, and a conference title. That's all in the last four years, but hey. It's not like Coach L recruits PA well or anything.

Exactly, have found UK fans especially sanctimonious...have no knowledge of the success you mentioned but that is what just makes this so sweet.

Here is the insider article from espn

Scout's Take: ESPN 100 SG Lonnie Walker headed to Miami
10:34 AM ET
Adam Finkelstein
ESPN.com
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
print
comment
Five-star shooting guard Lonnie Walker surprised the recruiting world on Wednesday morning when he announced via his twitter account that he was heading to the University of Miami. Here's a look at what the Reading, Penn. native will bring to Coral Gables.

Why he committed: He had five schools on his final list with Arizona, Kentucky, Syracuse and Villanova all joining Miami. He was rumored to be an Arizona lean for much of the fall but reportedly had second thoughts after they landed a commitment from Brandon Randolph, a comparable wing. Villanova was the hometown favorite, especially coming off their national championship, but ultimately there was a desire by Walker and his family to get away from home. Ultimately, that left Kentucky and Miami since Walker hadn't visited Syracuse. The Hurricanes had recruited Walker for the better part of the last two years, made him a top priority of this year's class even after they had landed other impact pieces and have a strong pipeline into the Team Final EYBL program that previously produced both current senior Davon Reed as well as junior Ja’Quan Newton.

What he brings: Walker is a big guard and high level shooter from behind the three-point line. At 6-foot-5 with a strong body, his frame is close to college ready on the perimeter while his size enables him to get his shot off over top of contesting smaller guards. He's a high percentage spot-up threat who is equally dangerous shooting off the dribble and a developing threat to run off screens away from the ball. Long term, he projects as the type of guy who head coach Jim Larranaga can run plays for in the halfcourt. Positional wise, he's best described as a two-guard with enough size and strength to play either wing position. He's also a good athlete who can make plays with the ball in the open floor and loves to utilize his body control when finishing around the rim. Walker has emerged at a rapid rate within the last 18 months but still has his best basketball in front of him as he continues to develop an in-between game, his overall basketball I.Q. and efficiency.

How he fits: Miami is set to graduate two starters this year in Reed and forward Kamari Murphy. Freshman Bruce Brown came off the bench in the season opener, but that might not last the entire year, as his maturity and overall impact isn't that of a typical freshman. Expect him to start next to Newton in the backcourt next year, if not sooner, while Walker and fellow 2017 signee Chris Lykes play quality minutes off the bench from day one. That young perimeter trio of Lykes, Brown and Walker is about as good as it gets and will be capable of seeing plenty of time together as Laranaga is likely to explore more three-guard line-ups in the coming years with the collective size and athleticism of both Brown and Walker on the wing and Anthony Lawrence's ability to be utilized as a small-ball type of four. The bottom line is that one of the ACC's best coaches is now going to have nearly unprecedented talent, depth and versatility at his disposal for the coming years.

Who he reminds us of: There are definite parallels between Walker and Reed, all of which should allow him to compete for the minutes that the graduating senior is vacating. While Reed may be more wing and Walker more guard, both are good three-point shooters with perimeter size and open floor athleticism. The fact that they come from similar roots should make the transition all the more seamless and allow Walker to make an immediate impact.

How the class is shaping up: This is an almost ideal scenario for Miami. They were already very pleased with their class to date and thus able to invest all of their energy into punctuating an already strong group with a five-star talent like Walker, the highest rated player to commit to Miami since ESPN started covering recruiting in 2007. Samuel Waardenburg, a skilled 6-foot-9 perimeter forward from New Zealand, is on board and expected to enroll at mid-year. Walker joins two others ESPN 100 products, all from the northeast region, in Deng Gak and Lykes. Gak is a skilled 6-foot-10 forward who has a high ceiling but will need to be given some time to develop his body and continue to adjust to the American game after only arriving from Australia last year. Lykes is one of the most exciting players in the country. He's only 5-foot-6 but he's dynamic with the ball, absolutely fearless and able to make shots and penetrate the defense alike.

You know you've got it clicking when you follow up the best recruiting class in program history with an even better recruiting class.

Advertisement

The NIT is a joke. I'd rather lose in the PIG then win the NIT. The rest of your post is spot on. Those schools probably don't know who coaches Miami.

This kid is over rated. Seem him live last year at Martz Hall in Pottsville Pa agiasnt Emmaus. Emmaus had a small white point guard who was more impressive then Walker!
Guys, I saw a player once and he had a bad game guys. Good players never have bad games. Overrated guys.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Chester announcers said last time they saw a kid like him was Kobe his Sr season

Wow, if you drop 37 on Chester you hafta be unbelievable. He plays at Chester this year. I kinda wanna go but I kinda wanna not get jumped/shot so i'll weigh my options.

Wow, if you drop 37 on Chester you hafta be unbelievable. He plays at Chester this year. I kinda wanna go but I kinda wanna not get jumped/shot so i'll weigh my options.

December 20th has been circled on my calendar for a while, see you there with gigantic Coach L's face signs.

December 20th has been circled on my calendar for a while, see you there with gigantic Coach L's face signs.

where you from in PA?

The NIT is a joke. I'd rather lose in the PIG then win the NIT. The rest of your post is spot on. Those schools probably don't know who coaches Miami.

Well, making the NCAA Tournament is the goal, but Miami going on that run through the NIT was a great springboard for the next season. I know a lot of our fans want to believe that Miami is suddenly UCLA or another blue blood, but that isn't the case. Looking down our noses at a **** good run, in a year in which they should have been playing in the big dance(The fact that UCLA was in that year, despite not beating anyone worth a **** was a joke), doesn't make sense.

Advertisement
Back