LIFW

Amazon Studios Were Fine GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Advertisement
All true. But I look at it more narrowly and selfishly: there's a mega-rich local who likes to donate to our athletic program. The dude was funneling money into our basketball program (that nobody gives two ***** about, in case the world is unaware) for ****'s sake. Heaven forbid, he's rude and obnoxious on social media. Cue the virtue signalling army of Darren Rovells. The success of someone like John Ruiz is an unequivocal godsend for a program that relies on (overwhelmingly local) private sector benefactors.

In the next sentence after dumping on Ruiz, our fans will move heaven and earth to tell you that playing an undefeated FSU is absolutely crucial to our program.
Spot on spot on

That 2023 recruiting class that everyone is rooting for this year? You gonna really talk **** about the people who rallied behind Miami and made it happen?

Advertisement
Spot on spot on

That 2023 recruiting class that everyone is rooting for this year? You gonna really talk **** about the people who rallied behind Miami and made it happen?
No one talks about the good he’s done for us, especially for the basketball team, getting us players that helped UM get to its first Final Four in program history. I for one hope he bounces back AND continues to provide money to the university we love and its players.

I told you so > Benefitting the program
Telling the truth by calling out obvious lies, frauds, etc. has nothing to do with the program. It’s about telling the truth. That goes for Ruiz, Manny, Golden, Blake James and everybody in between. Acting like people who blindly support these people are better fans is ridiculous. In reality ignoring their fraud and inability to do their job is detrimental to the program.

Telling the truth by calling out obvious lies, frauds, etc. has nothing to do with the program. It’s about telling the truth. That goes for Ruiz, Manny, Golden, Blake James and everybody in between. Acting like people who blindly support these people are better fans is ridiculous. In reality ignoring their fraud and inability to do their job is detrimental to the program.
Identifying and celebrating are not the same. Idc if he is a fraud or not. I'm certainly not pleased that someone that made significant monetary contributions to the athletic program is in financial trouble. You go ahead and take your victory lap though.

No one talks about the good he’s done for us, especially for the basketball team, getting us players that helped UM get to its first Final Four in program history. I for one hope he bounces back AND continues to provide money to the university we love and its players.
It’s just never made sense to criticize people that step up and support the program when we’ve gotten jack **** for so long just because they don’t like him on Twitter

Advertisement
Identifying and celebrating are not the same. Idc if he is a fraud or not. I'm certainly not pleased that someone that made significant monetary contributions to the athletic program is in financial trouble. You go ahead and take your victory lap though.
Nobody is “celebrating” anything related to Miami. Saying Ruiz is acting like a fraud and his numbers don’t match up has nothing to do with Miami. It’s only about Ruiz.

The “I told you so” is very much warranted. You get called a clown or a hater or whatever else, when you’re clearly right, you deserve that victory lap and to laugh at the dumbasses that can’t separate real life from their fantasy. Getting mad at people for being right, is cope.

Nobody is “celebrating” anything related to Miami. Saying Ruiz is acting like a fraud and his numbers don’t match up has nothing to do with Miami. It’s only about Ruiz.

The “I told you so” is very much warranted. You get called a clown or a hater or whatever else, when you’re clearly right, you deserve that victory lap and to laugh at the dumbasses that can’t separate real life from their fantasy. Getting mad at people for being right, is cope.
Agree to disagree. I'm not mad, because I expect this behavior. Carry on accordingly.

Agree to disagree. I'm not mad, because I expect this behavior. Carry on accordingly.
Unless John Ruiz owns the University of Miami and the possible LIFW bankruptcy, causes the football program to fold, your argument makes zero sense. Carry on.

Advertisement

On this, we fully agree.

I've worked for publicly-traded companies for 20 years. I have never professed to understand the LifeWallet product(s) and any potential business of the company. But I definitely understand financial statements, my current job requires me to review, take responsibility for, and certify various aspects of our financial statements every quarter.

I've observed businesses that are overly optimistic during the start-up/growth phase, and there are significant differences between that and "fraud". Lots of less-knowledgeable people (like Dan Thompson and Darren Rovell) seem to think that everything that doesn't work out well in the end is "fraud", and that's just not the case.

I've also observed businessed that have ****ED UP the valuation aspect of acquisitions. Happens more than people like to admit, even at massive companies. Warner Brothers/Discovery just took a multi-billion dollar impairment write-down against assets it acquired in the not-so-distant past.

Business is challenging. Running a successful business is not easy. I'm sure that Mr. Ruiz is struggling to understand why his great success in the courtroom did not translate into his corporate endeavors.

I said all along that if Mr. Ruiz was taking LifeWallet public, he should have hired a CEO and a CFO with experience. Trying to do it all himself was not very smart, and led him into a couple of avoidable traps.

Sad story. Lots of people taking sick enjoyment from this, including a number of "UM fans" on this thread.

Advertisement
On this, we fully agree.

I've worked for publicly-traded companies for 20 years. I have never professed to understand the LifeWallet product(s) and any potential business of the company. But I definitely understand financial statements, my current job requires me to review, take responsibility for, and certify various aspects of our financial statements every quarter.

I've observed businesses that are overly optimistic during the start-up/growth phase, and there are significant differences between that and "fraud". Lots of less-knowledgeable people (like Dan Thompson and Darren Rovell) seem to think that everything that doesn't work out well in the end is "fraud", and that's just not the case.

I've also observed businessed that have ****ED UP the valuation aspect of acquisitions. Happens more than people like to admit, even at massive companies. Warner Brothers/Discovery just took a multi-billion dollar impairment write-down against assets it acquired in the not-so-distant past.

Business is challenging. Running a successful business is not easy. I'm sure that Mr. Ruiz is struggling to understand why his great success in the courtroom did not translate into his corporate endeavors.

I said all along that if Mr. Ruiz was taking LifeWallet public, he should have hired a CEO and a CFO with experience. Trying to do it all himself was not very smart, and led him into a couple of avoidable traps.

Sad story. Lots of people taking sick enjoyment from this, including a number of "UM fans" on this thread.
People are treating Ruiz like he is Shapiro. Certainly wouldn't label them "fans" but to each It's own.

And while he did funnel a lot of $ to UM athletes, it was marketing and brand awareness for LIFW. I actually think that was a smart idea. Seeing him on the front page of ESPN shows he got a lot of attention by doing what he did. I just don't think they were way to overzealous on the revenue projections and amount of business they would be able to land.

Advertisement
Back