Le' Work - Beardy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really got people who think Mike Rumph can coach DB's better than the former DC and DB coach at the University of Alabama?

The guy who coached DB's at Valdosta State, LSU, the Miami Dolphins and won multiple National Championships coaching DB's under Nick Saban at Alabama.

Has won Assistant Coach of the Year multiple times as well as the Broyles Award. LOL

What's the logic on Mike Rumph being better than that^ guy?
I gotta hear this.

Wasn’t all just Kirby though, Nick Saban spends a lot of time at the db position in practice

Sure. So let's just assume it's all Saban and Smart just sat back and finger banged himself. SMH. C'mon man.

Yeah Alabama's really fallen off the rails since King Kirby left for greener pastures. No one has any idea what Smart can or can't do yet. He coached under Nick Saban, who wins with whomever he has for assistants. And now he's at Georgia filled with an upperclassman laden team that someone else built in a historically weak division. I don't know who's better between him and Rumph but I'm not going to give credit to Kirby for anything just yet.

Advertisement
We really got people who think Mike Rumph can coach DB's better than the former DC and DB coach at the University of Alabama?

The guy who coached DB's at Valdosta State, LSU, the Miami Dolphins and won multiple National Championships coaching DB's under Nick Saban at Alabama.

Has won Assistant Coach of the Year multiple times as well as the Broyles Award. LOL

I gotta hear this.

Wasn’t all just Kirby though, Nick Saban spends a lot of time at the db position in practice

Sure. So let's just assume it's all Saban and Smart just sat back and finger banged himself. SMH. C'mon man.

Didn’t say that, just saying he spends a lot of time working with the dbs too

This is truly a great debate to have on a public Canes message board at the height of recruiting when we are trying to close on 2 5 Star CBs. No, seriously....keep telling us how far superior Smart and Saban are to Mike Rumph at teaching CB play. ****, anyone want to summarize this and just blast it out to our recruits just in case they just can't easily get this forwarded to them by everyone negative recruiting against us?

I gotta hear this.

You're putting out resumes. If you rock with Nick and let him bark at you for a few Nattys that makes you great?
He won ***. coach of the year under Saban with all that money and all those 4&5* stud recruits on the 3-deep, but you act like he's turning water into wine.

Other than his credentials, how can you qualitatively determine he's head and shoulders better at coaching the CB position than Rumph?

Better recruiter? Okay. Better Coach? By what objective measure?

Last edited:

I gotta hear this.

Assistant coach of the year is the Broyles award player. I don't see what coaching a long time and hitching your wagon to Saban has to do with him actually being a good DB coach. I mean Paul WIlliams has coached forever and day too. Is he a good DB coach? You make a whole bunch of excuses when hit with facts or stats about Kirby (who they play, dominant front 7, more 5* players, their players are **** in the league because when everything is equal they suck because they didn't get good coaching), but its a body of work thing. However for our guy he is to green and our guys don't turn around for the ball. Isn't that what you say? I mean you have issuses with all our defensive coaches and how they teach, coach, call plays.

I'm talking about the COTY award he won in 2012, not the Broyles he won in 09.

Moving on.

Nobody here is talking about HOW LONG a guy has coached. That doesn't mean as much as WHERE and WHO he's coached under. You'd have to be a **** fool to think that a man who spent years being Saban's DC and DB coach is inferior to a guy who HAS NEVER COACHED UNDER ANYBODY! Rumph's only experience is coaching a loaded high school team.

You can post all the subjetive stats all you want. Even the best coaches take their lumps. All of them!
Kirby's overall body of work is outstanding. You can't just say "Well he coached a bunch of 5-stars!" That **** can be said about **** near any elite coach in the country.
None of you have the inside knowledge to know what he's teaching or how he's teaching it, so you can only go by a body of work. It's no different than how yall judge our own coaches.

You guys look at coaches on the surface, face value. You use stats and occasional situations to form your opinions. I study these guys all year. I go to clinics and read tons of material on coaches from all over the country. I don't just use stats to judge coaches. I've seen Smart clinic and spoken to him briefly about defense. I've spoken to Rumph as well. THEY'RE NOT IN THE SAME STRATOSPHERE.

Advertisement

I gotta hear this.

You're putting out resumes. If you rock with Nick and let him bark at you for a few Nattys that makes you great?
He won ***. coach of the year under Saban with all that money and all those 4&5* stud recruits on the 3-deep, but you act like he's turning water into wine.

Other than his credentials, how can you qualitatively determine he's head and shoulders better at coaching the CB position than Rumph?

Better recruiter? Okay. Better Coach? By what objective measure?

By seeing Smart clinic and speaking to both of them personally.

But sure, let's just ignore their body of work.

You're the DC and you're interviewing guys for an open DB position.

You've got both of their resumes on your desk.

Who you leaning towards?

You'd probably throw Rumph's resume in the trash right now if it was sitting next to Smart's.

I gotta hear this.

Yeah Alabama's really fallen off the rails since King Kirby left for greener pastures. No one has any idea what Smart can or can't do yet. He coached under Nick Saban, who wins with whomever he has for assistants. And now he's at Georgia filled with an upperclassman laden team that someone else built in a historically weak division. I don't know who's better between him and Rumph but I'm not going to give credit to Kirby for anything just yet.

That's like assuming Saban isn't a good coach since MSU's defense hasn't fallen off since he left.

Smart coached DB's and was the DC under Saban.

Please, let's not even go there. It's one thing to be a fan, it's another thing to be completely naive. Rumph ain't touching Smart.

I've seen multiple videos of Saban coaching CBs at Bama.

And?

There's probably videos of him coaching everything on the defense. That's what DC's do. Just cause you saw a video of Saban being hands-on with the CB's doesn't mean Smart sits back and twiddles his thumbs.

Like I can't believe people are really sitting here and implying that Mike Rumph, who was coaching high school a couple years ago, is a better DB coach then the former DC at the University of Alabama. LOL

By virtue of what, Macho?

If all you coach are 5* athletes how will anyone know how good you really are?

I know one thing, Rumph had Corn, Colbert, and Jackson looking like ballers.

LOL. The same could be said about Rumph's tenure at Heritage! Yet yall use that **** to validate his ability.

Right, but I'm not talking about Rumph at Heritage.

I'm talking about Corn Elder, Adrian Colbert, and Michael Jackson. Dudes Saban and Smart wouldn't **** on. Dudes Rumph had balling out. Rumph took an undersized kid with a late offer, a transfer who played safety, a dude buried on the Miami depth chart outta Alabama and turned them into NFL caliber players.

How can you **** on Rumph for anyone. Especially Kirby Smart?

Advertisement
IF ONE OF OUR COACHES HAD THE SAME RESUME AS SMART, YALL WOULD BE USING THAT **** TO VALIDATE HIS ABILITY ALL THE TIME.

Take the **** O&G glasses off man. It's okay to say that another coach is elite. Only a fool would think that we have all the best coaches in the country.

OUR ARGUMENT IS HE IS NOT ELITE. YOU'RE THE ONE CROWNING HIM. ONLY YOU MAN. ONLY YOU

ELITE SECONDARY COACHES DON'T LOSE IT ALL ON 2 and 26

Bullsh!t they don't.

A Safety didn't do his job. THAT HAPPENS TO EVERY COACH IN AMERICA.

And?

There's probably videos of him coaching everything on the defense. That's what DC's do. Just cause you saw a video of Saban being hands-on with the CB's doesn't mean Smart sits back and twiddles his thumbs.

Like I can't believe people are really sitting here and implying that Mike Rumph, who was coaching high school a couple years ago, is a better DB coach then the former DC at the University of Alabama. LOL

LOL. The same could be said about Rumph's tenure at Heritage! Yet yall use that **** to validate his ability.

I'm talking about Corn Elder, Adrian Colbert, and Michael Jackson. Dudes Saban and Smart wouldn't **** on. Dudes Rumph had balling out. Rumph took an undersized kid with a late offer, a transfer who played safety, and a dude buried on the Miami depth chart outta Alabama and turned them into NFL caliber players.

He "turned them into NFL caliber players"?

Man please. LOL

And?

I'm talking about Corn Elder, Adrian Colbert, and Michael Jackson. Dudes Saban and Smart wouldn't **** on. Dudes Rumph had balling out. Rumph took an undersized kid with a late offer, a transfer who played safety, a dude buried on the Miami depth chart outta Alabama and turned them into NFL caliber players.

Yeah rumph can clearly develop players period, but why is there even a comparison? Smart has been coaching for 15 plus years than rumph

Advertisement

I gotta hear this.

Assistant coach of the year is the Broyles award player. I don't see what coaching a long time and hitching your wagon to Saban has to do with him actually being a good DB coach. I mean Paul WIlliams has coached forever and day too. Is he a good DB coach? You make a whole bunch of excuses when hit with facts or stats about Kirby (who they play, dominant front 7, more 5* players, their players are **** in the league because when everything is equal they suck because they didn't get good coaching), but its a body of work thing. However for our guy he is to green and our guys don't turn around for the ball. Isn't that what you say? I mean you have issuses with all our defensive coaches and how they teach, coach, call plays.

Moving on.

Nobody here is talking about HOW LONG a guy has coached. That doesn't mean as much as WHERE and WHO he's coached under. You'd have to be a **** fool to think that a man who spent years being Saban's DC and DB coach is inferior to a guy who HAS NEVER COACHED UNDER ANYBODY! Rumph's only experience is coaching a loaded high school team.

You can post all the subjetive stats all you want. Even the best coaches take their lumps. All of them!
Kirby's overall body of work is outstanding. You can't just say "Well he coached a bunch of 5-stars!" That **** can be said about **** near any elite coach in the country.
None of you have the inside knowledge to know what he's teaching or how he's teaching it, so you can only go by a body of work. It's no different than how yall judge our own coaches.

You guys look at coaches on the surface, face value. You use stats and occasional situations to form your opinions. I study these guys all year. I go to clinics and read tons of material on coaches from all over the country. I don't just use stats to judge coaches. I've seen Smart clinic and spoken to him briefly about defense. I've spoken to Rumph as well. THEY'RE NOT IN THE SAME STRATOSPHERE.

University of Miami All ACC Corners from 2012 to 2015 (4 Year)
T Howard honarable mention
A Burns 1st team

University of Miami All ACC corners 2016 and 2017
C Elder First Team
Michael Jackson Second team
Malek Young Honorable Mention

More guys making the team in Rumph's 2 years than made it in the previous 4. I guess Rumph can do something right. 3 guys, 1 who played mostly offense, make the ALL ACC team in his 2 years, but it's night and day about coaching CBs. No one is asking if Rumph is on par with Kirby about X's and O's. He shouldn't be, you gain that with experience, but you're sucking the cack of a rival while ****ting on your own coach. We get it You think all Miami coaches are garbage we know you're agenda.

IF ONE OF OUR COACHES HAD THE SAME RESUME AS SMART, YALL WOULD BE USING THAT **** TO VALIDATE HIS ABILITY ALL THE TIME.

Take the **** O&G glasses off man. It's okay to say that another coach is elite. Only a fool would think that we have all the best coaches in the country.

OUR ARGUMENT IS HE IS NOT ELITE. YOU'RE THE ONE CROWNING HIM. ONLY YOU MAN. ONLY YOU

ELITE SECONDARY COACHES DON'T LOSE IT ALL ON 2 and 26

Bullsh!t they don't.

A Safety didn't do his job. THAT HAPPENS TO EVERY COACH IN AMERICA.

How about the hail mary against TN the year before? How about calling the man coverage with Tony Brown against the dude for Clemson (talk about putting your guy in a bad position). I mean even with the best players he's getting discovered as a coach who isn't that good.

BTW it isn't BS. You see coaches all the time walk halfway out on the field yelling at certain guys because they know something is coming. 2 and 26 not much in the play book and the guy called what 98% of OCs would call at that time. 4 verts. You're white knight Corch blew it. Him and his awesome DC.

Last edited:
You're the DC and you're interviewing guys for an open DB position.

You've got both of their resumes on your desk.

Who you leaning towards?

You'd probably throw Rumph's resume in the trash right now if it was sitting next to Smart's.

Smart started coaching in 1999 and Rumph in 2011 (12 year head start at coaching). Oh, and Rumph covered Jerry Rice.

Come again...

Advertisement

I gotta hear this.

Moving on.

University of Miami All ACC Corners from 2012 to 2015 (4 Year)
T Howard honarable mention
A Burns 1st team

University of Miami All ACC corners 2016 and 2017
C Elder First Team
Michael Jackson Second team
Malek Young Honorable Mention

More guys making the team in Rumph's 2 years than made it in the previous 4. I guess Rumph can do something right. 3 guys, 1 who played mostly offense, make the ALL ACC team in his 2 years, but it's night and day about coaching CBs. No one is asking if Rumph is on par with Kirby about X's and O's. He shouldn't be, you gain that with experience, but you're sucking the cack of a rival while ****ting on your own coach. We get it You think all Miami coaches are garbage we know you're agenda.

Bro STFU with the cry baby bullsh!t.

Nobody is ****ting on Rumph. Saying that Rump can't touch Kirby Smart right now is not "****ting on him", it's being realistic.

Only true UM homers would think otherwise. Then again, I forgot where I'm at. This is the same group of people that tried to tell me Butch Davis is a better coach than Nick Saban.

Macho Macho Man up to his old tricks. Loves to act like he knows all.

I don't know it all but I sure as fvck know more than you and anybody else who trying to tell me that a guy a couple years removed from high school ball is a better coach than the guy who coached DB's under Nick Saban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back