John Ruiz on Paul Finebaum show today

How can you make this argument about “legal brain trust” with presumably a straight face?

A little background on how NIL came to be national law. The State of California got ahead of the nation and passed an NIL law. Because it was a state law, it applied only to California universities and only benefitted them. The NCAA challenged that law in federal court, and lost at the District Level. The NCAA and its “legal brain trust” as you call them then appealed the district court decision until it reached the US Supreme Court. Had the NCAA not appealed and just accepted the loss, NIL would have only applied to California universities. But by appealing, arguing and losing before the US Supreme Court, the NCAA legal brain trust turned California law into national law. These are the geniuses you refer to as a ”legal brain trust”

Those lawyers should be fired for not anticipating a loss before the US Supreme Court. None of the 9 justices played college sports. Most of them are hard core capitalists who could not even understand how an organization could prevent a person form benefitting from their own NIL. This was the one of the easiest decisions to anticipate in recent Supreme Court history.

John Ruiz and his legal team will run circles around the hacks employed by the NCAA. He has already proven that his legal acumen is greater than every lawyer at the NCAA. This is not even a close call. ****, by the time the lawsuits are said and done, John Ruiz may own the NCAA. I guarantee that his first order of business will be to FIRE their “legal brain trust”.

Just a point of clarity that technically there is no national NIL law. The SCOTUS ruling in NCAA v Alston had nothing to do with NIL directly but rather the limits/restrictions the NCAA placed on non-athletic incentives/benefits a student-athlete could receive removing any doubt what the courts thought of the NCAA's antitrust status and you are now seeing schools announce academic incentives for student athletes in addition to their cost of living stipends.

Now what did happen in the SCOTUS opinion on the Alston case was to eviscerate their model basically foretelling that any challenge to NIL or restrictions on student-athlete earning would obviously not have a legal leg to stand on.

So immediately in the wake of Alston the NCAA came out with their NiL guidelines all the while while continuing to lobby congress to pass national NIL legislation. With little Congressional support for said law, they realized they had better actually begin to provide additional guidance to their member schools on NIL, which was just released, and begin enforcement of said guidelines. Individual states continue to pass and amend their own NIL laws and many of the state legislatures that passed early NIL laws are amending their laws to be more favorable to the schools within their borders

The NCAA's dubious position and legal fumbling of Alston and NIL ultimately led to Emmert's firing and you will continue to see the conferences take on more of the decision making that they feel are best for their members with strong coordination amongst the Power 5 and Group of 5 schools respectively.

Exciting times.

Advertisement
Not to menton, the NCAA isn't paying top dollar for its lawyers and can't compete with the private firms.

They don't have even have a full enforcement staff.

Nobody wants to work a barely above minimum wage job enforcing senseless rules for an illegitimate organization. And the people that do work there are law school flunkies from schools like Devry University School Of Law In Asscrack, Alabama.

You can get find a better job flipping burgers at a grease joint.

Wait, what? Why wouldn't people want ExxonMobile to pay somebody for NIL? I don't understand that reasoning.

I could be missing some sarcasm or subtly in your post but the whole point of a legitimate business (LifeWallet, ExxonMobile, Car dealerships, etc) offering NIL deals is marketing for the company. It's the same idea as Capital One paying Samuel L Jackson to do their commercials. You pay a highly marketable person (i.e a highly rated bright future athlete) to market your company for people to get eyeballs and money for your company aka ROI.
I’m already agreeing with you, I’m just echoing the system that has been keeping Miami down for decades. People just love the idea of democratically funding success as opposed to a single large entity funding success.
Collectives/full stadiums are what the SEC and other big state schools are rallying behind.

Just a point of clarity that technically there is no national NIL law. The SCOTUS ruling in NCAA v Alston had nothing to do with NIL directly but rather the limits/restrictions the NCAA placed on non-athletic incentives/benefits a student-athlete could receive removing any doubt what the courts thought of the NCAA's antitrust status and you are now seeing schools announce academic incentives for student athletes in addition to their cost of living stipends.

Now what did happen in the SCOTUS opinion on the Alston case was to eviscerate their model basically foretelling that any challenge to NIL or restrictions on student-athlete earning would obviously not have a legal leg to stand on.

So immediately in the wake of Alston the NCAA came out with their NiL guidelines all the while while continuing to lobby congress to pass national NIL legislation. With little Congressional support for said law, they realized they had better actually begin to provide additional guidance to their member schools on NIL, which was just released, and begin enforcement of said guidelines. Individual states continue to pass and amend their own NIL laws and many of the state legislatures that passed early NIL laws are amending their laws to be more favorable to the schools within their borders

The NCAA's dubious position and legal fumbling of Alston and NIL ultimately led to Emmert's firing and you will continue to see the conferences take on more of the decision making that they feel are best for their members with strong coordination amongst the Power 5 and Group of 5 schools respectively.

Exciting times.
This is a good clarification. Thank you. I was using "national NIL" as kind of a shorthand for how a California case came to impact athletes in all states.

Advertisement
What if Ruiz signed a player from say, the top 20 schools or so. He's now a booster for all those schools. Make the contracts scale with number of appearances in Miami. So say they have time for 4 or 5 at their current institution. Then, without inducement (of course), transfer to Miami so they can do 15x or 20x appearances.

Obviously he would sign more players at Miami due to their ability to perform obligations and the fact the business is headquartered in that area.

I would just laugh my *** off if someone like Ruiz just said, f it, I'm a booster for all schools.

And if they say it's tampering, he can make a donation to the athletic department beforehand that qualifies him as booster status before he signs a player.
Ruiz doesn't sign players. Life Wallet does.

My understanding is that Ruiz is the lead, but he has a team of lawyers and is working hand in hand with the UM lawyers. I really think he has the better brain trust. Unfortunately the NCAA as an organization has lost a lot of luster. As such, they just aren't getting the best legal minds. Not to menton, the NCAA isn't paying top dollar for its lawyers and can't compete with the private firms.
I hope he's NOT working with UM officials at all -- lawyers, athletic staff, or whatever. He needs to be as separated/far removed from the university as is possible and I suspect UM is seeing to that! His employment of UM athletes is between him and them; as I understand it, the university has no legal involvement in the Life Wallet-Athlete employment.

I hope he's NOT working with UM officials at all -- lawyers, athletic staff, or whatever. He needs to be as separated/far removed from the university as is possible and I suspect UM is seeing to that! His employment of UM athletes is between him and them; as I understand it, the university has no legal involvement in the Life Wallet-Athlete employment.
I don’t mean working with UM to secure players for NIL. But my understanding is that before Life Wallet jumped into NIL with 2 feet, there were very specific reviews of NIL guidelines and how to be on the right side of this new process. And that review included not only Ruiz and his team but lawyers from UM’s team as well as it is in the vested interest of both sides to make sure Life Wallet’s actions are in line with NCAA guidelines and the Supreme Court decision.

This level of coordination would have been important, and may even be on going. If UM thinks Life Wallet is crossing a line I am confident a discussion will occur.

Advertisement
Paul and his $EC audience were lost once Ruiz stated NIL isn't about paying players to win football games. Understanding that a real business needs ROI and value on NIL expenditures doesn't register. Players thinking long-term, beyond a football career, is confusing to those with short attention spans.

I’m already agreeing with you, I’m just echoing the system that has been keeping Miami down for decades. People just love the idea of democratically funding success as opposed to a single large entity funding success.
Collectives/full stadiums are what the SEC and other big state schools are rallying behind.
Ah, ok I see where you were coming from now.

Serious question: Are some of you being intentionally confused or are you actually still confused?

I’m asking because I find the latter to be impossible at this point in time.

@AtlAtty has posted the same thing over and over and over, yet I can start a thread that says Ruiz. Only post: had a ham sandwich for lunch and a group of you will ask whether it violates NIL laws, if he coordinated appropriately with the UM Compliance team on the making of the sandwich and swear to high heavens that the NCAA can sanction Miami for the type of mustard he enjoyed.

But he chews too loud…

Advertisement
You’ve been dry snitching on him for weeks.

You literally have dozens of posts where you constantly bltch about him. So why don’t you go fūck yourself, especially since you’re basically just a nobody tax accountant, who apparently is envious of a lawyer that’s actually been successful in their lives.

If you want to go personal, this is how it goes with me. I didn’t attack you personally, I just disagreed with your post. But apparently, you can’t be disagreed with, or else you'll torture us with 10,000 word screeds.

You do realize nobody reads that meaningless shlt don’t you?

Next time don’t respond like a little bltch and make it personal.
1652324141633.gif

6E03D662-FADE-443F-A912-823016496C7E.gif

I'm very impressed. The only thing I know about Ruiz is what appears to be antics. Not at all what I was expecting.

They don't have even have a full enforcement staff.

Nobody wants to work a barely above minimum wage job enforcing senseless rules for an illegitimate organization. And the people that do work there are law school flunkies from schools like Devry University School Of Law In Asscrack, Alabama.

You can get find a better job flipping burgers at a grease joint.
I learn something new on here every day. Here I thought there was only a plumbing school in Asscrack, Alabama.

Advertisement
I came away from the interview wondering what on earth Finebaum expected he would get from it. It was a 15 minute ad for Ruiz, LW, and to some extent Miami. I don't think the questions FB asked were illuminating or interesting, I don't think anything Ruiz said would be close to incriminating. In fact he seemed reasonable and informed, made the case for enforcement and regulations, and acknowledged the amateur state of play right now.

I don't know what FB was hoping to accomplish, other than getting a hot name on the show. It was wholly beneficial to Ruiz.
For the past few days, Ruiz has been very consistent with messaging...

- NCAA doesn't scare me one bit, you want some, come get some
- Let me tell you how collectives violate x, y, and z policies
- Let me tell you how Life Wallet's structure not only complies with, but exceeds x, y, and z policies
- You still want some, I'll crush you ****ant NCAA
- Go Canes, brought to you by your friends at Life Wallet

Advertisement
Back