2025 Jarquez Carter 4* DT from Newberry, FL commits to OSU

Advertisement
For a position that usually has 8- 10 bodies every year, it might make more sense to bring in two transfers for the 2025 season. IMO

Ahmad Moten SR
Joshua Horton JR
Justin Scott SO
Artavius Jones SO
Armondo Blount SO
Daylen Russell SO
I was looking at the potential roster for 2025 last week and WR and DT are two rooms that get too thin if normal attrition takes place.

Don’t give a dàmn what year it is. There is something called common sense and facts. Nobody is playing 14 d-linemen in a game. Those kids aren’t going to play so deal with it
Unfortunately injuries do happen. You act is if all those older players will be full healthy for a 13 game or more season. Those 3 talented freshman have a great chance to play this year.

Last edited:
I was looking at the potential roster for 2025 last week and WR and DT are two rooms that get too thin if normal attrition takes place.

DE as well…Even if Pickett is a DE, it. will still be thin. I expect a portal DT and DE even before attrition affects numbers.

Unfortunately injuries do happen. You act is if all those older players will be full healthy for a 13 game or more seasons. Those 3 talented freshman have a great chance to play this year.
I said in another the post that only if injuries happen. And talent still doesn’t make you ready to play. We had talented young guys last year that didn’t play. The goal is to win games not play a bunch of freshmen who aren’t ready just because you are scared of the portal

Advertisement
We did not bring in 3 senior DTs because we had so much confidence in a true freshman playing 200+ snaps in arguably our most important football season in the last two decades.

I can almost guarantee you he’s not playing 200 snaps. I don’t even think he’ll play 150. 100, maybe.

I can also guarantee you he won’t transfer because of that, considering we’re going to lose all three of those aforementioned guys + maybe Mesidor. Now that leaves you in terms of returnees in 2025 with only Moten (who hasn’t proved anything), Horton (who hasn’t proved anything) and the other TF.

Playing time is very much up for grabs in 2025, he knows that.

Facts. Along the DL, Mesidor, Baron, Allston, Clark, Cook and Barrow will all depart after this year. The only guy with a certain starting spot left is Bain. There is no way anyone from the class of 2024 is leaving due to lack of snaps. It will be an all out brawl for first team and even those that don’t start will see significant game time in 2025.

We did not bring in 3 senior DTs because we had so much confidence in a true freshman playing 200+ snaps in arguably our most important football season in the last two decades.

I can almost guarantee you he’s not playing 200 snaps. I don’t even think he’ll play 150. 100, maybe.

I can also guarantee you he won’t transfer because of that, considering we’re going to lose all three of those aforementioned guys + maybe Mesidor. Now that leaves you in terms of returnees in 2025 with only Moten (who hasn’t proved anything), Horton (who hasn’t proved anything) and the other TF.

He should be playing the 3rd of 4th most snaps at DT anything less we failed his development

DE as well…Even if Pickett is a DE, it. will still be thin. I expect a portal DT and DE even before attrition affects numbers.
This is going to be the new normal. I would be shocked if we’re not taking at least one portal kid in every position room every year.

Mykel eWilliams 410 ga

Walter Nolan 289 A&M

Bryan Bresee 432 Clemson

Jalen Carter 287 ga

4 elite defensive lineman freshman snaps Scott better play or he’s gone somewhere that will actually play and develop him

Advertisement
He should be playing the 3rd of 4th most snaps at DT anything less we failed his development

Let’s think about this for a second. By “he” I assume you mean Scott, not Blount, Russell, Jones but feel free to exchange the name.

We have 2 DTs who already started at Michigan State and NC State and transferred to Miami in hopes of increasing their draft status while making some NIL. So they would have to be injured for a true freshman to have a shot at taking their spot. That means what you’re really saying is that Scott or one of the other 2024 kids should overtake Cook, Moten and Horton for the third spot, right?

That’s certainly possible but then wouldn’t that mean we didn’t develop Horton and Moten? Or does development only work on 5 stars?

Let’s think about this for a second. By “he” I assume you mean Scott, not Blount, Russell, Jones but feel free to exchange the name.

We have 2 DTs who already started at Michigan State and NC State and transferred to Miami in hopes of increasing their draft status while making some NIL. So they would have to be injured for a true freshman to have a shot at taking their spot. That means what you’re really saying is that Scott or one of the other 2024 kids should overtake Cook, Moten and Horton for the third spot, right?

That’s certainly possible but then wouldn’t that mean we didn’t develop Horton and Moten? Or does development only work on 5 stars?
Cook is on the smaller side more of a depth guy Horton seems to have been hurt the majority of his time on campus moten is and was a warm body depth piece take doesn’t have any of the physical tools Scott has so yes Scott should be playing above all 3 you named 200 snaps should be the bare minimum. Elite teams all over the country play their 5 star dlineman earlier against far better competition than the Acc this shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Cook is on the smaller side more of a depth guy Horton seems to have been hurt the majority of his time on campus moten is and was a warm body depth piece take doesn’t have any of the physical tools Scott has so yes Scott should be playing above all 3 you named 200 snaps should be the bare minimum. Elite teams all over the country play their 5 star dlineman earlier against far better competition than the Acc this shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Yeah, I can’t argue that one of the 4 Freshman DTs has a shot at 200+ if 1. We have injuries or 2. Horton doesn’t get healthy and develop. Cook and Moten may be physically unable to hold off the more talented young kids.

But you also have to remember we have a ELITE defensive end group, and they’ll be playing inside a lot too. So a ton of snap counts won’t necessarily be available to the 3rd/4th DT. I personally want to see our fast package out there a lot.

I just think Scott and Blount need a year to bake before they’re ready. They get some snaps don’t get me wrong. But there are a lot of other schemes and guys I’d use before putting the game on the line with those guys.

Yeah, I can’t argue that one of the 4 Freshman DTs has a shot at 200+ if 1. We have injuries or 2. Horton doesn’t get healthy and develop. Cook and Moten may be physically unable to hold off the more talented young kids.

But you also have to remember we have a ELITE defensive end group, and they’ll be playing inside a lot too. So a ton of snap counts won’t necessarily be available to the 3rd/4th DT. I personally want to see our fast package out there a lot.

I just think Scott and Blount need a year to bake before they’re ready. They get some snaps don’t get me wrong. But there are a lot of other schemes and guys I’d use before putting the game on the line with those guys.
We are overrating cook and moten they are both jags and I think Scott is more than capable of giving us the same production they can and even more

Advertisement
Mykel eWilliams 410 ga

Walter Nolan 289 A&M

Bryan Bresee 432 Clemson

Jalen Carter 287 ga

4 elite defensive lineman freshman snaps Scott better play or he’s gone somewhere that will actually play and develop him
They played because they showed they were ready. If Scott isn’t ready he won’t play don’t know why y’all can’t understand this

Advertisement
It’s the coaches jobs to get him ready every elite university gets their elite talent ready early and so should we if we don’t it’s a failure what don’t you understand?

Every single 5*/elite player at every “elite” university plays early and is ready to play day 1? Really? Shall we deep dive into this or you want to walk back that statement first?

*and FTR, I think he will play, but as someone said..there’s context to this statement. He won’t play many significant snaps barring injury (knock on wood) or unless he exceeds expectations after enrolling in summer. JMO

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back