2025 Jarquez Carter 4* DT from Newberry, FL commits to OSU

After a haul like last season we should not expect UM to put a great deal of NIL investment into DTackle this season.

What it looks like to me is that UM is identifying positions of national strength in recruiting, and comparing that to positions of needs on the team. When the 2 align, Francis and Samson 2 years ago and Dline last season, UM goes all in. This season I would argue UM has need and believes their is recruiting depth at DB and WR, and is targeting those 2 positions.

The basic point being when you see a great return at a position in a recruiting cycle, do not expect the same return at the same position the following recruiting cycle. It is more like drafting players than recruiting players. If a team spends a lot of draft capital in season 1, they are very unlikely to spend similar draft capital in season 2.

I would add that this strategy makes a lot of sense IMO.
tHIS IS MY THOUGHT PROCESS AND A GOOD ONE.

tHE BIG SCHOOLS HAVE UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF MONEY TO BURN SO THEY WILL PAY FOR GUYS LIKE THAT...THOSE GUYS WILL COME IN SIT A YEAR...(THEY PAY EM)..THEN COMES SECOND YEAR(IF THEY DONT CRACK OR GET PASSED UP BY PORTAL OR INCOMING) you jhuts burned money as they will portal out.

So at DT i kind of expect them to spend modestly since they spent a ton on the portal and incoming freshman. I expect them to try to unearth guys at reasonable prices and if they are expecting more you will see them droppoing off the board which i thought right away when i saw Boucard start to get big offers i figured his nil rose a ton with the miami central move...and it wasnt worth it.

Now Carter maybe one of these schools up their bag and he may have countreroffered us

Advertisement
They rotate players he’s gonna play. Come find me in October. This isn’t 1997

Leonard Taylor didn’t play his freshman year as a 5-star and we had kids like Jalar Holley in the rotation. We actually have good players now. Blount is also basically 16 years old. I don’t think he plays much this year. At least not as a rotational player.

UGA signed the #1 DT last year, a ready made 310 pounder. He only even appeared in 10 of their 14 games. Garbage time ****. If Blount plays a lot this year, he’s either going to be a Top 10 pick in 3 years or something went wrong.

Your post makes sense to me. However, my only question about this strategy is would we still end up with an uneven roster? It may not be uneven talent wise, but it’s uneven with experience wise. So by the time the entire roster is ready, Francis and Samson Juniors or Seniors.

Also, if we have a good DL class one year, skip the next year and then the following year attack it again wouldn’t you potentially risk having a drop off in talent?

I don’t think this how the top programs (Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, etc.) recruit.
your questions are definitely on point, some of which I have as well.

I just think with NIL being what it is, every year schools will decide on which positions to spend the money. Arguably, this will even out at UM after depth has been built, but that will likely require the transfer portal to fill short term holes. I think our roster was so poor that Mario had to pick which positions to target in which season based on our needs and what talent was available.

It will be interesting to see if Bama and OSU and others have such unlimited recruiting budgets that they will spend millions every recruiting cycle and keep loading up. I think it will take a few years to better understand how NIL impacts the recruiting landscape.

So seems like staff is gonna go heavy at positions every other year instead of back to back

I see your point but I think it's not that simple. They're going after Epenesa who is elite, even though the 2024 DE class was lights out. With DT, I just think last year's options were overall better than the top kids this year. It was the same for the OL the class before. 2023 was just much stronger than 2024 for OL. That may be a big factor driving their decisions. And for those that they do really like, maybe it's more that they'll recruit them hard and make a legit offer, but aren't willing to pay the suck tax at positions where we're strong?

Advertisement
DT is weird this year.

+ Miami loaded up last year and took three ready to play guys (Scott, Blount, and Jones)
+ Miami isn’t really in it for any player of that caliber this cycle. The guys they’re after now are basically depth pieces.
+ Miami is really pushing hard for a few 2026 guys.

Like RB, this could be a class that has very few DT’s in it (if any)
Uhhhhhh I respect your OP but Carter is hardly a Depth Piece LOL

I see your point but I think it's not that simple. They're going after Epenesa who is elite, even though the 2024 DE class was lights out. With DT, I just think last year's options were overall better than the top kids this year. It was the same for the OL the class before. 2023 was just much stronger than 2024 for OL. That may be a big factor driving their decisions. And for those that they do really like, maybe it's more that they'll recruit them hard and make a legit offer, but aren't willing to pay the suck tax at positions where we're strong?
Yea good point if there were more top notch DT options that had big interest we probably would see them recruit guys hard like Epenesa, it is strange tho maybe they're expecting big season to offset some of the suck tax they have to pay for that position or flip some guys later

Don’t give a dàmn what year it is. There is something called common sense and facts. Nobody is playing 14 d-linemen in a game. Those kids aren’t going to play so deal with it
I don’t give a **** what you say. Deal with that. Scott will play. And there will be freshman D lineman that play. Why? Because they are talented. Talent plays over numbers. Doesn’t matter the numbers. Oh and since you have such common sense you surly know that kids can play 4 games and still redshirt? Right? They will get snaps. As I said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Gaby thinks Carter and Boucard will not be in the class. DT recruiting looking dire

Lineman RARELY make instant impact in college straight outta HS unless you are a freak

It’s positions like DT I wouldn’t mind just focusing on grabbing portal kids every year that are ready to contribute game 1 as opposed to waiting 2-4 years for a kid to develop

Not saying 100% portal but portal heavy for DL

Leonard Taylor didn’t play his freshman year as a 5-star and we had kids like Jalar Holley in the rotation. We actually have good players now. Blount is also basically 16 years old. I don’t think he plays much this year. At least not as a rotational player.

UGA signed the #1 DT last year, a ready made 310 pounder. He only even appeared in 10 of their 14 games. Garbage time ****. If Blount plays a lot this year, he’s either going to be a Top 10 pick in 3 years or something went wrong.
Yeah but here’s what all the genius posters don’t get. Those kids can get snaps in 4 games and redshirt still. All I said was guys will play. Scott is too talented to play. I forgot Blount was so young. I think Lightfoot will get snaps in rush situations. Again, no matter who turns out to be right and wrong it’s been 20 years since we talked like this? About the D line? Which is a good thing

Yea good point if there were more top notch DT options that had big interest we probably would see them recruit guys hard like Epenesa, it is strange tho maybe they're expecting big season to offset some of the suck tax they have to pay for that position or flip some guys later
If he’s truly 6-4 270 and has his senior year to go I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be considered as a kid who can play the interior. At the least on third downs? No? Kids a big dude and can easily add more weight and lose nothing in terms of athleticism.

Yeah but here’s what all the genius posters don’t get. Those kids can get snaps in 4 games and redshirt still. All I said was guys will play. Scott is too talented to play. I forgot Blount was so young. I think Lightfoot will get snaps in rush situations. Again, no matter who turns out to be right and wrong it’s been 20 years since we talked like this? About the D line? Which is a good thing

Speaking of 1997, redshirts are irrelevant at this point. Who is staying here 5 years? By that point, you’re either good enough for the league and you’re gone. Or you’re not, and you’re gone. No reason to make it a point to redshirt blue chip players. Pure developmental kids, sure. But that’s it. If Justin Scott is on this team as a redshirt senior in 5 years then he’s a bust as a 5-star player.

Advertisement
I don’t think anyone ever bought the “we landed five stars last year so we can’t this year” excuse. That was a cover up. We broke the bank for a position group then the next year we are a bit more frugal. We are seeing it with dt this year

Speaking of 1997, redshirts are irrelevant at this point. Who is staying here 5 years? By that point, you’re either good enough for the league and you’re gone. Or you’re not, and you’re gone. No reason to make it a point to redshirt blue chip players. Pure developmental kids, sure. But that’s it. If Justin Scott is on this team as a redshirt senior in 5 years then he’s a bust as a 5-star player.
That’s all I was saying lol. And there’s a genius on the other post about DTs that is fighting me on something stupid like this which cracks me up. Because not only will these kids get snaps in 4 games ( i said they would play which they will) but as you pointed out, the odds these talents will be here in 5 years is close to 0%. Justin Scott is too talented not to be in the mix. Lightfoot is an edge who can at the least put pressure in pass rushing spots, and the others will get their feet wet unless they just can’t adjust which happens.

Absolutely right, redshirts don't matter unless the kid is the second coming of Bar Milo. If a kid is ready to play, which shows up when he goes against your OL every day in practice, then he should play. If you won't give him snaps, some other team will.

Advertisement

LT absolutely did play his Freshman year. Believe he had about 10 TFL and made some Freshman All American teams. We were all hyped for his future. This was only like 3 years ago. People just sayin anything on this board this summer.

LT absolutely did play his Freshman year. Believe he had about 10 TFL and made some Freshman All American teams. We were all hyped for his future. This was only like 3 years ago. People just sayin anything on this board this summer.

Not early in the season. There were literal whole *** threads on here with people screaming why he wasn’t playing and rumors he was gonna transfer during his freshman year.

Not early in the season. There were literal whole *** threads on here with people screaming why he wasn’t playing and rumors he was gonna transfer during his freshman year.
He played 9 games. The argument was that these freshman aren’t going to play this year and you used Taylor as the example.

Maybe these pups don’t play this year but Taylor absolutely did and is a horrible example.

This is a stupid argument lol, and “playing” needs context.

Will they “play”? Sure, you can play in four games and still redshirt, and we have massive problems if we can’t find four games on this schedule to fit them in.

Will they play a lot? Probably not, no. The more blowouts we have, the more likely they play. If we’re in 7-17 pt games, they won’t play.

Unless they’re day 1 studs (don’t fall for the same song and dance as the fall reports until you see it with your own two eyes, that’s my advice), they’re all going to be behind Barrow, Clark, Cook, Mesidor (counting him because him inside is better than any TF), Horton and Moten. That’s six bodies.

Injuries can change that, obviously.

Advertisement
Back