Jake to the portal

Advertisement
I hear ya (and others suggesting this) but…yesterday, on paper our room was scary as **** as well

Only thing that we lose was a star ranking

So nothing has really changed for me

Look, every QB we had looked like **** under Gattis. In particular our route concepts.

Garcia wasn't that off on his best from TVD. He's younger, so he gets some leeway on his worst.

Brown though and only Brown with a true frosh. That's terrible. It wasn't great before, but it was better.

Advertisement
Look, every QB we had looked like **** under Gattis. In particular our route concepts.

Garcia wasn't that off on his best from TVD. He's younger, so he gets some leeway on his worst.

Brown though and only Brown with a true frosh. That's terrible. It wasn't great before, but it was better.
I don’t discredit Gattis in this but I just don’t agree that Garcia wasn’t far off from TVD

If that’s your take on it then that makes sense I just feel differently

Advertisement
What a difference a year makes. A year ago most of us felt great about the “QB room.” TVD was a sure fire NFL prospect and potential 1st rounder, Garcia was the talented heir apparent and Brown would develop over time. Year later, TVD played himself out of the draft altogether (Thanks Gattis), Garcia is in the portal and Brown had to play way too early and is a big time work in progress.

Advertisement
I don’t discredit Gattis in this but I just don’t agree that Garcia wasn’t far off from TVD

If that’s your take on it then that makes sense I just feel differently

I saw TVD struggle, Jake come in, and do well. Then there were other times he didn't. The potential was there, but I'd say more often than not we were dumping him into ****** situations. Same happened when Brown would get a nod, but his arm talent is so non-existent, there's no way I see success for him or us with him at the helm. Right guy could make TVD and Garcia work, I don't see Brown doing that ever, but maybe I'm wrong.

By the way, I do respect what you're saying even if we don't see eye to eye. Room was better, today it's an injury away from we better not ***** about losses because they're assured if TVD goes out.

I'll be frank to, the last we saw TVD go out with the shoulder, he took himself out. He quit that day and again if I'm frank, I don't blame him. There was just more pain on the schedule that day.

Last edited:
I thought you were implying that we lost another competent QB in Garcia. My apologies, I misread your original post.

I am absolutely saying that Garcia is competent. You phrased your question about TVD, not Garcia.

Without Garcia, TVD is now the only competent QB. This is a much bigger loss than many folks here realize. We now need to hope that Emory Williams pans out quickly. Im not at all high on Brown. He's a low probability project IMO.

Ponce is trying to get him to App State.
That would be a good fit for him. I still don't think he is a starter for them right now. I have no idea what App St QB room looks like but I would be willing to bet that they have one or two dudes better than him right now. Not enough arm talent to play here. I never got the mobility thing with him. He is not a mobile QB. Seemed like a good kid, I just didn't see anything out of him that made me think he was good enough to be our QB1 or QB2. Maybe Ponce can corch him up some and he can play at the G5 level. Regardless good luck to the young man. I hope he develops into a good QB.

Advertisement
Lot of kids with his skillset look dreadful throwing the ball as true freshmen.

How hard is he willing to work and how good will the coaching be that he's going to get?

He has some skills you can't teach. You can teach mechanics, which translate to accuracy. He had miles and miles to go the last time we saw him, no doubt. But it's beyond silly to write him off over how he looked as a true freshman who entered the season as the #3 QB and very rarely even knew when he was starting/playing in games week to week due to the injury carousel we had in that room.

Am I going to say he's going to be a great college QB? Of course not. But will I say he can't be based just off last season? Not even close. As I said in my OP, he better be working. He's got a **** of an opportunity in front of him. Everything I've heard about him is he's a leader, he's an alpha, he works, he's smart, he's coachable...all the things you need to be if you're going to make massive improvement in your overall game. Which he needs to, clearly. But he's plenty big enough, he's plenty strong enough, he's plenty fast enough to be a **** of a player at that position. Can someone coach him how to think his way through a game, how to read defenses, and how to improve throwing the ball downfield? I think in a perfect world, and I've said this multiple times on this board, well before the Jake transfer news, but if I could draw it up, TVD plays this season and stays healthy, and Jacurri redshirts and learns. If you want to throw him into up to 4 games late just to give him some live reps, I'm fine with that. But I hit essentially a hard reset with him and build up those mechanics from the ground up. He sits, he learns, and he improves. And he gets the keys to the 2024 team as a 3rd year sophomore. My money is that he looks infinitely better than he did last season, 18 months from now.
Whoa, there, waaaaayyyy too much logic and reason going on here for CIS.

I saw TVD struggle, Jake come in, and do well. Then there were other times he didn't. The potential was there, but I'd say more often than not we were dumping him into ****** situations. Same happened when Brown would get a mod, but his arm talent is so non-existent, there's no way I see success for him or us with him at the helm. Right guy could make TVD and Garcia work, I don't see Brown doing that ever, but maybe I'm wrong.

By the way, I do respect what you're saying even if we don't see eye to eye. Room was better, today it's an injury away from we better not ***** about losses because they're assured if TVD goes out.

I'll be frank to, the last we saw TVD go out with the shoulder, he took himself out. He quit that day and again if I'm frank, I don't believe him. There was just more pain on the schedule that day.
I appreciate the explanation and the discussion. I’ve said quite a few times that it was almost unthinkable that an OC could make QBs look like they’ve never played the game before, but somehow Gattis accomplished that

Could just be a case of by the time Jake came in it was just too late. Felt like once we fell to A&M and MTSU that the wheels were off the program so it would have been awfully difficult for a kid to lead a team in that position. Watching Garcia, I felt for him, truly. Talk about not being put in a position to succeed.

I have no idea if Mario will be successful here or not. I have serious doubts. But I do know he’s going to do this his way, with his system so my feelings about transfers at this point are it’s just better for everyone if we can get Mario’s plan moving forward as quickly as possible. It’s not necessarily an indictment of Garcia and his potential if that makes sense.

Factor this in also, Mario is really trying to upgrade our talent at EVERY position. He knows when a QB has it and when they don't at this level. Does anyone really think that if Mario and ZO thought Jake was QB1 material for the U that they would let him walk? There is no way in ****. We let him transfer because the powers that be didn't think he was good enough. Mario is a great recruiter. He would have talked Garcia into staying if he felt that he could take over next year and get us back to where we need to be.

Advertisement
Back