Jake to the portal

Advertisement
Serious question for the people clamoring about QB depth..... Why is it so important? Like yes I get it, it would be best if Patrick Mahomes was backed up by Josh Allen but can anyone tell me who the backups are to the Chiefs or Bills? Like we have our QB, his name is TVD and if he goes down, much like any starting QB on any team with a few minor exceptions the season is likely going to the *******.

Based on history, a Jake Garcia will be in the portal every year (high ranked HS kid with iffy tape or behind a stud). QBs are not waiting their turns unless it is a guy like Brown who KNOWS he needs to sit and learn. History also tells us that if we sign a top 50 QB every year, the chances of us holding on to those kids is slim to ish. I would have liked to keep Jake on the team for the record and would have been interested next year about his development and how he played but next year if we have year 3 jacurri, year 2 emory, TF HS top recruit and a portal guy would anyone care?
This. Snatch up the loser of some of the Texas/Ohio State/Bama type QB battles in the Spring.

I think this makes it exponentially easier for us to grab an elite QB that sees their competition in '24 is a TE playing QB and a kid who probably doesn't even have hair on his chest yet.

Serious question for the people clamoring about QB depth..... Why is it so important? Like yes I get it, it would be best if Patrick Mahomes was backed up by Josh Allen but can anyone tell me who the backups are to the Chiefs or Bills? Like we have our QB, his name is TVD and if he goes down, much like any starting QB on any team with a few minor exceptions the season is likely going to the *******.

Based on history, a Jake Garcia will be in the portal every year (high ranked HS kid with iffy tape or behind a stud). QBs are not waiting their turns unless it is a guy like Brown who KNOWS he needs to sit and learn. History also tells us that if we sign a top 50 QB every year, the chances of us holding on to those kids is slim to ish. I would have liked to keep Jake on the team for the record and would have been interested next year about his development and how he played but next year if we have year 3 jacurri, year 2 emory, TF HS top recruit and a portal guy would anyone care?
Pretty sure we can find another former 4 star QB that looks overwhelmed when he gets on the field somewhere to take Jake’s spot yeah

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yea but the point is when you're already 2nd string at best going into next year and neck and neck with another guy just to be the backup the portal makes sense.
under the old QBC. a new OC/QBC could have a completely diff opinion on what he wants in a QB or what he even prefers. im not shocked that he transferred but more so shocked in that he didnt wait till the new hires were announced

He has a long long long long long way to go
Go On My Way GIF by Tirol

We now have ONE competent QB on the roster.

Poor management by Mario on this issue IMO. My guess is that Mario is going to bring a portal QB but that's an unknown at the moment.

Im still ****ed about this. Jake Garcia should have been the future QB at UM. We have a brutal schedule in 2024 and 2025. Jake as a multi-year starter would have been primed for a title run. I think the world of his abilities.
My worry is Mario didn’t recruit a single good qb to Oregon, and we just went from a great qb room on paper to “holy ****” in less than a year. He’ll get the hogs recruited but his qb and wr recruiting has historically been less than stellar.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back door someone recruited him. He was “staying staying staying” now he’s gone? Easy to say you’ll stay when you have limited love elsewhere. I wish him nothing but the best. Think he needed a real QB coach and better system

Back door someone recruited him. He was “staying staying staying” now he’s gone? Easy to say you’ll stay when you have limited love elsewhere. I wish him nothing but the best. Think he needed a real QB coach and better system

Or...maybe...his biggest supporter was Ponce...

Not saying that's what it is, but there are usually always a few possibilities...

Advertisement
Back