Increase in Scholarship Limits

Great for Miami baseball, not great for Miami football. Keep in mind WHY scholarship restrictions existed. People like Bear Bryant would offer everyone, even guys he didn’t want, just to keep them from the opposition. Miami NIL is competitive, but it isn’t a bottomless pit. Imagine someone like Oregon deciding: We’re going to have more talent in street clothes, than most teams have on their roster? What’s stopping kids from taking solid NIL money and not playing, or not playing a ton?
Lol ain’t no top players taking money to be in street clothes and never have a chance to make it to the league. Stop it!

Advertisement
Crazy how little discussion this has generated.

Agreed.

I have raised the point in a couple of football threads, as it relates to taking another RB and/or honoring the scholarship of a kid who suffered an injury in high school.

I have mentioned it multiple times on the baseball board.

I was debating making a few jokes on the basketball boards ("great, another 2 basketball scholarships that Larranaga won't give out").

And I have said that it will be a MASSIVE fund-raising challenge to try to endow all of the new scholarships that can be offered.

You are correct, though, this might be the single-most impactful change to college athletics since desegregation.

Agreed.

I have raised the point in a couple of football threads, as it relates to taking another RB and/or honoring the scholarship of a kid who suffered an injury in high school.

I was debating making a few jokes on the basketball boards ("great, another 2 basketball scholarships that Larranaga won't give out").

And I have said that it will be a MASSIVE fund-raising challenge to try to endow all of the new scholarships that can be offered.

You are correct, though, this might be the single-most impactful change to college athletics since desegregation.
Look at the subject matter on this site that generates the most traffic...... It's not stuff like this.... Surface level "fans" have nothing to offer in conversations like this... I myself am intrigued to read and learn but in no way will I offer anything based on what I don't know....
All I know is once you allowed players to be paid ( I'm not saying it's right or wrong) it opened the door for all the chaos that's followed.

Advertisement
Great for Miami baseball, not great for Miami football. Keep in mind WHY scholarship restrictions existed. People like Bear Bryant would offer everyone, even guys he didn’t want, just to keep them from the opposition. Miami NIL is competitive, but it isn’t a bottomless pit. Imagine someone like Oregon deciding: We’re going to have more talent in street clothes, than most teams have on their roster? What’s stopping kids from taking solid NIL money and not playing, or not playing a ton?
The transfer portal.

I know “it’s just not that simple” but in the short term a few big football seasons can create a massive windfall. Who knows where the conference talk goes as well.. if Miami gambled and basically found ways to fund these scholarships now the results in the near future could hopefully help for the long term.

Get some Saudi to drop a quick billion. (Joking…kind of)

Weren’t the scholarship limits reduced initially after Miami’s had their run in the early 90s? If so, it doesn’t seem like this will be a negative for us.

Advertisement
Theoretically, that’s the solution. That said, lots of talent gets lost in the portal.
If what you say is true and kids are getting a ton of NIL and then being benched, then the talent is not lost on the powers that be. No one is paying a small fortune to a player with a secret talent.

Agreed.

The revenue sharing aspect is just as important.

If what you say is true and kids are getting a ton of NIL and then being benched, then the talent is not lost on the powers that be. No one is paying a small fortune to a player with a secret talent.
There are schools with super wealthy NIL collectives, they can(and will) pay for kids to stick around and compete. There's a reason why there were scholarship restrictions before, programs would hoard talent to the extreme, keeping kids on roster just so they wouldn't have to face them.

I'm curious as to how this affects midmajor schools, schools that don't have the money to spend on additional scholarships. It's all a moot point anyway, the major conferences will break away to form their own league in the next decade, this is just a first step.

Last edited:
There are schools with super wealthy NIL collectives, they can(and will) pay for kids to stick around and compete. There's a reason why there were scholarship restrictions before, programs would hoard talent to the extreme, keeping kids on roster just so they wouldn't have to face them.

I'm curious as to how this affects midmajor schools, schools that don't have the money to spend on additional scholarships. It's all a moot point anyway, the major conferences will break away to form their own league in the next decade, this is just a first step.
I’m aware of the need for restrictions in the past. The difference is, it used to be difficult for players to leave a program.

Advertisement
Miami's tuition is TEN TIMES more expensive than Florida's. People have to let that sink
The 10x calculation is for in-state kids only. I think UF’s out of state tuition is low compared to other state schools, but it is substantially higher than the in state rate you posted. My guess is UM is about 3x of out of state tuition, so your argument still holds water even for out of state athletes.

Advertisement
The 10x calculation is for in-state kids only. I think UF’s out of state tuition is low compared to other state schools, but it is substantially higher than the in state rate you posted. My guess is UM is about 3x of out of state tuition, so your argument still holds water even for out of state athletes.

Florida's undergrad population is 75% Floridian.

Besides, that wasn't the issue. The issue is that ANY kid in ANY state who is only offered a partial baseball scholarship would be better off FINANCIALLY to go to a state school over a private school.

Doesn't matter what state it is. I used the University of Florida as an example.

Again, we have some nitwit "high baseball IQ" porsters who have chosen to label any discussion of the growing tuition disparity between private/public schools (and the impact that has on partial-scholarship sports) as "excuse-making".

Advertisement
Back