Increase in Scholarship Limits

It's $94K for 2024-2025. I just posted the years for which I pulled both UM and UF numbers.

Miami's tuition is TEN TIMES more expensive than Florida's. People have to let that sink in.

That means if you got a 25% baseball scholarship at Florida, you'd pay about $4,500 for tuition. And you'd pay $45,000 at Miami.

That's a $40K differential right off the bat (no pun intended), before you even factor in the living expenses.

And some of the dip****s on the Baseball Board still act like that kind of tuition differential doesn't mean anything in recruiting, just because Miami signed a bunch of talented rich kids from Dade County private schools.
I tried to keep it close for the good guys lol. Cost of living completely escaped me. I guess its because it has been 30 years since I had to pay for with no job.

Advertisement
It's $94K for 2024-2025. I just posted the years for which I pulled both UM and UF numbers.

Miami's tuition is TEN TIMES more expensive than Florida's. People have to let that sink in.

That means if you got a 25% baseball scholarship at Florida, you'd pay about $4,500 for tuition. And you'd pay $45,000 at Miami.

That's a $40K differential right off the bat (no pun intended), before you even factor in the living expenses.

And some of the dip****s on the Baseball Board still act like that kind of tuition differential doesn't mean anything in recruiting, just because Miami signed a bunch of talented rich kids from Dade County private schools.
Also imagine this: I have prepaid and Bright Futures + 15% baseball and NIL to go to Florida vs $100K at Miami

Also imagine this: I have prepaid and Bright Futures + 15% baseball and NIL to go to Florida vs $100K at Miami

Exactly.

Miami Baseball should be able to recruit any HS player, public school or private, rich family or poor family...but it's harder to do, given the cost of our tuition. We have to fill our roster with rich kids from Dade private schools, whose parents can afford to pay for UM.

I've mentioned this before, but my family grew up 3 blocks from the Weeks family. Rickie had to go to a public school, but Jemile was able to choose Miami solely because Rickie could pay for the rest of Jemile's tuition with his MLB money.

But, yeah, we've got some hardheaded porsters who are going to tell you that UM's cost of tuition has not impacted our baseball recruiting AT ALL.

$78K would be a bargain for UM...

View attachment 296036
Good gracious, it was a third of that when I attended 20 years ago. Eventually the college bubble has to pop. A quick Google search shows:
  • "After adjusting for currency inflation, college tuition has increased 747.8% since 1963."
  • "The average cost of tuition has increased nearly 180% over the past 20 years, even after accounting for inflation."

Advertisement
105 scholarships for football is crazy. Schools should be able to offer full rides for a full scout team at this point.

Even with that increase I have already heard that a few SEC schools are evaluating the idea of building "club" style scout teams that aren't affiliated with the NCAA, but the school is going to offer private funded scholarships to them, so that the football team has someone to practice against. Then those club teams would play their own season against other schools with these club teams. Sort of like UM's hockey team.

Apparently the 105 limit is impacting these schools that hold 120-130 on their roster

105 scholarships for football is crazy. Schools should be able to offer full rides for a full scout team at this point.

Even with that increase I have already heard that a few SEC schools are evaluating the idea of building "club" style scout teams that aren't affiliated with the NCAA, but the school is going to offer private funded scholarships to them, so that the football team has someone to practice against. Then those club teams would play their own season against other schools with these club teams. Sort of like UM's hockey team.

Apparently the 105 limit is impacting these schools that hold 120-130 on their roster

Something has to give.

It costs a couple of million to endow a sports scholarship at UM.

Increase football by 20. Increase baseball by 20+. Add softball.

Tall order.

Schools will always find a way to cheat the system for an advantage. Problem is what happens if/when one of those club teams injures a star player? NCAA will eventually have to implement a rule about practice squads.

Something has to give.

It costs a couple of million to endow a sports scholarship at UM.

Increase football by 20. Increase baseball by 20+. Add softball.

Tall order.
I'd be surprised if UM offers a full 34 in baseball. I have heard that Radakovich is reluctant go that high and JD is already having to fight him to bend on that.

Probably because it's a former player telling me and he's emotional about it but he says Rad is 100% ok to let baseball die off a slow death and basically just exist. Hard to argue that after he hired JD to begin with.

I think we'll keep ourselves behind the 8 ball there and max out around 25... but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe progressively over time they get to 34.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if UM offers a full 34 in baseball. I have heard that Radakovich is reluctant go that high and JD is already having to fight him to bend on that.

Probably because it's a former player telling me and he's emotional about it but he says Rad is 100% ok to let baseball die off a slow death and basically just exist. Hard to argue that after he hired JD to begin with.

I think we'll keep ourselves behind the 8 ball there and max out around 25... but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe progressively over time they get to 34.
Can't see boosters and the board being okay with that as storied as the program is.

But this is NIL's pandora's box. All the cash is funneling to pay players, so things like scholarship endowments and facilities are already feeling the brunt of it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is all eventually headed to a college players' union and collective bargaining. It's unsustainable.

probably to create room for all the players getting pushed out of programs due to the new landscape of the transfer portal
Was going to say something to this extent. This is good for players. There’s so many kids that are just left in the portal. Even kids on our or others team that are maybe fringe players but asked to move on because of limits. Think it’s a good thing for the players

Once we get a new president, we can move on to the analysis of getting a new AD. I think everyone has expected Rad to be a short-timer anyhow.

I, too, was disappointed in Rad's response to a question (two years ago!) about increasing baseball capacity.

This ain't over.

Can't see boosters and the board being okay with that as storied as the program is.

But this is NIL's pandora's box. All the cash is funneling to pay players, so things like scholarship endowments and facilities are already feeling the brunt of it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is all eventually headed to a college players' union and collective bargaining. It's unsustainable.
From my understanding.. maybe someone else can chime in here that is closer or has a different perspective... but JD is already making rounds to rally troops of his key boosters to push it. But from an administration perspective in Rad's shoes.. if that is how he sees the budget.. he is going to ask which one of them is going to fork out an extra $100k for 10 scholarships per year.. extra $1M subsidy annually.. The room will be silent if that happens.

Advertisement
Once we get a new president, we can move on to the analysis of getting a new AD. I think everyone has expected Rad to be a short-timer anyhow.

I, too, was disappointed in Rad's response to a question (two years ago!) about increasing baseball capacity.

This ain't over.
That was my next question. If he sticks to that... he could always be replaced in the near future.

That was my next question. If he sticks to that... he could always be replaced in the near future.

Yes sir.

We need to hire a young AD who sees a pathway to be forged in connection with UHealth, to build a partnership based on sports medicine.

And no jokes from the repetitive posters. UHealth didn't ***** up Zion or anyone else. You and I have both heard the whispers about how (generally) coaches push guys to get back on the field quickly, sometimes these things don't work out.

I'm not too worried about the increased cap on football schollies. If a kid has P4 starting talent, why would he be content to remain third or fourth string at an SEC school? If he prefers to spend his 4 years riding the pine at 'Bama vs. starting or playing key minutes somewhere else, then he lacks the competitive drive and instinct to be good player (notwithstanding the talent).

As for for baseball, it will most definitely help our program. As OCF said, we've been competing with one hand tied behind our back for ages. Funding the additional scholarships is problematic, but they will find a workable solution (perhaps increase enrollment of foreign students who pay full fare when attending the University to cover the revenue shortall). The good definitely outweighs the bad for baseball.

Advertisement
Exactly.

Miami Baseball should be able to recruit any HS player, public school or private, rich family or poor family...but it's harder to do, given the cost of our tuition. We have to fill our roster with rich kids from Dade private schools, whose parents can afford to pay for UM.

I've mentioned this before, but my family grew up 3 blocks from the Weeks family. Rickie had to go to a public school, but Jemile was able to choose Miami solely because Rickie could pay for the rest of Jemile's tuition with his MLB money.

But, yeah, we've got some hardheaded porsters who are going to tell you that UM's cost of tuition has not impacted our baseball recruiting AT ALL.
Two private schools have won the CWS since 2003, Vandy won 2x, Rice won in 03. The rest are public.

Prior to '03 you had USC, Stanford, Miami, Pepperdine back to Miami's '82 title team.
Private schools won 8 titles in that run.

From my understanding.. maybe someone else can chime in here that is closer or has a different perspective... but JD is already making rounds to rally troops of his key boosters to push it. But from an administration perspective in Rad's shoes.. if that is how he sees the budget.. he is going to ask which one of them is going to fork out an extra $100k for 10 scholarships per year.. extra $1M subsidy annually.. The room will be silent if that happens.
If we're talking 10 scholarships, you could fund the $1m per year. Or it would take, as @TheOriginalCane said, a couple million to endow each one. At a 4% annual return, you'd need $2.5m/each. So $25m now (set and forget) or need to raise $1m a year (not counting inflation) in perpetuity.

I have been thinking of something similar since the rule allowing unlimited coaches/analysts came in.

Miami should consider building a scout team comprised of NFL free agents. A lot of guys live and train in South Florida and the guys who don’t make NFL rosters or practice squads can be “hired” as analysts allowing them 20hours a week to work (practice against) Miami players. For a small salary they would be able to use UM facilities, have live practice reps, train with other NFL FAs, and maybe most importantly be able to practice in front of NFL scouts who visit the team every week.

The benefits for Miami are enormous as well. Players would get a lot better reps against quality opponents. Remember stories of Nesta destroying Tommy Kennedy? That wouldn’t happen again. Also would help recruiting because you could sell practicing against NFL players and also the increase of NFL Scouts that would come every well.

And maybe the biggest advantage is only a few schools would be able to do this. No large amount of NFL FAs are going to want to live in Tuscaloosa of Athens or Eugene. Most athletes live in tax free states (Florida, Texas, Arizona) in the bigger cities (Miami, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix).

Advertisement
Back