If the SEC offered, would you want Miami to join?

Advertisement
Miami is a much better fit in the ACC, however as a fan I would absolutely love it if Miami joined the SEC East (not the West, I'd prefer to stay away from Bama and Saban for the time being). I actually think we could win the SEC East in football if we made the jump right now considering how poor that side of the conference is. The schedule alone would be well worth it to me. We would get to play the Gaytors every year (and in true home and home games, no neutral site bs like they currently pull). We would also get to play in Athens, Columbia, Nashville, Knoxville, etc. (and occasionally Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge) so the tailgates would be out of control. Plus, it would add more big names to our home schedule and SEC fans traditionally travel well so the atmosphere would be a little more intense at Hard Rock. In any given year we only play 1 or 2 (max) big name teams at home - either FSU or VT rotating every year + possibly 1 big name team OOC). For instance, next year UF's home schedule consists of Tennessee, LSU, TAMU, and FSU (and I would throw in Georgia since I wouldn't consider that a "neutral" site). Only big names we get at home next year are VT and Notre Lame. That said, I know the Gaytors would absolutely do everything in their power to block us from joining so this is moot.

Threads about the $EC that are anything but disparaging in nature should be negged into oblivion.

Advertisement
If we were allowed to cheat like Bama, then sure. Otherwise, no.

The question is hypothetical of course.

Yes, there are long-term contracts.

But ESPN — which is driving these things — is hemorrhaging red ink and it's not likely to get any better with millions of subscribers cutting the cord.

Regardless of what those agreements might say (and who here has seen the fine print), I don't see any way the four-letter network is paying the likes of Wake Forest, Boston College, Pitt and others $20 million per year in this environment for ... a handful of football games, a dozen or so basketball games and a bunch of sports friends and family will be streaming through lheir laptops.

It will be a lot more economically feasible to fold a few of the ACC's top brands into the existing SEC Network infrastructure.

ESPN is at the moment still profitable, and it looks to continue to be profitable for a least a few more years. Though it is true that their overall trajectory is currently going downward. ESPN itself is a bloated company that pays its employees far too much for the jobs that they do. It has gotten away with it just because of how profitable sports TV has been the past couple of decades, it can and will eventually trim down like any good corporation should.

The price of these TV contracts are already inflated in my opinion, and as people continue to cut the cord companies like ESPN will just pay less for the rights to broadcast. That doesn't mean conferences will die or fold into each other, just that they will themselves be less profitable, but still make money overall. If ESPN does not buy them, someone else will.

The real problem at ESPN and many other networks is that they still have not figured out how to effectively monetize online viewership of sports.

To answer your original question, I think we should stay in the ACC. It's an easy path for us to the ACC championship game - or at least it should be.

The problem ESPN is having is streaming apps. Just makes regular TV obsolete.

As for the question posed -- UF would never allow FSU or Miami to join the SEC. They'd fight it tooth and nail, and they'd win.

If Free Shoes left for the SEC and UM stayed in the ACC, do you think there would still be an annual series?

You'd be OK with the Semenholes pulling the same crap the Gayturds did after 1987?

I certainly don't think FSU is any less chicken**** than UFag. I'm sure Jumbo would be glad to drop the Canes.

No disrespect intended, but you need to brush up on the FSU series.
Those folks from Trailerhassee want us on all of their schedules.
From football to baseball, hoops,etc because they recruit heavily in soFla and want to maintain that
recruiting presence.
They are the ones who shilled for us to get into the ACC.
No way they would avoid playing UM.
Which is why I laugh every time one of our fans, usually some dried up old prune, praises fsu over uf for
never avoiding us.
They are naive when they say this, and you should laugh at them because both programs are trash.
Tell them are stupid.

Advertisement
If given the opportunity to join the $EC, Miami would absolutely take it. From a business perspective, it's a no brainer.

I personally think if we were going to leave it would be a better fit in the Big 10. Much better academically, great historic football powers, good basketball. Obvious geographic limits and losing the FSU game means it would never happen but in a hypothetical world.

Advertisement
Anybody who says no is just plain dumb. Football is king in the SEC. Football in the ACC competes with basketball and that is where the power is.

this is a question that's really moot. florida will never allow Miami into sec, not happening, and they have veto power over any florida schools. then throw in acc owns schools rights though next what 10 yrs broadcasting wise and the huge fee to leave and no way Miami leaves acc for sec, its never happening.

if sec does expand the 2 schools most likely to be targeted are texas and Oklahoma.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back