Henry Parrish

I'm not Parrish's #1 fan, I simply speak facts as they are & won't project based off nothing but pure imagination.

No one, who isn't an absolute biased homer who either doesn't know the game or is simply clueless in general, can make a legitimate argument that Allen, Fletcher & Lyle are better than Parrish. There simply isn't any proof to support that claim.

They are simply more athletic.

We undervalued Henry's skill.

He is showing why so many of us always clamored to have him here even though there were more physically gifted backs available. Kid is a pure football player. Always has been.

Advertisement
1) Allen is not better than Parrish, and never will be;
2) Lyle has the chance to be better than Parrish;
3) Martinez is a more talented back than Parrish;
4) Fletcher and Parrish are totally different backs. Parrish does more overall, and has better vision, but Fletcher can play a power game that Parrish can't.

Advertisement
If Fletcher had Parrish’s ability to find the hole on zone plays, he’d be one of the best running backs in the country. Parrish is that guy who doesn’t look good but always produces. He’s not fast. He’s not big. He doesn’t break tackles or bust long runs but at the end of the day you look at the stat sheet and he’s got like 65 yards on 11 carries.

Our backfield is crowded and he’s close with Kevin Smith so I get the transfer and I hope he does well at Ole Miss. As long as they don’t play us, I’ll root for him.

Advertisement
Fletcher was on the open market as a recruit, a year before Parrish went on the market as a Portal transfer. Not a perfect comparison, but close. We also valued Fletcher over Parrish internally after the season. The trend we see is that the traditional powers (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State) place a heavy premium on size.

I'm a huge Parrish fan and wanted us to offer him back in high school. He was always a tougher and better player than Chaney. But Fletcher brings a unique all-around skillset with his ability to wear down defenses and also elevate the passing game as a blocker and receiver.

For me, I don't consider HS recruiting to be relevant. It's speculation at that level with a lot of ultimate variance between recruiting ranking/interest from schools vs actual performance in college.

In terms of how I look at them as college backs, Parrish (to my eyes) can do more with less blocking than Fletcher and that's one of, if not the most important trait to me in a RB.

In the final analysis, Fletcher and Parrish are like different clubs in a golf bag. Both useful for different situations.

I think in the first half of yesterday's game Parrish would have gained more yards when our backs were being held to nothing. There will be add'l games this year where our running game will be challenged as it was yesterday, and when those games come around I for one would like to have someone who has Parrish's trait (make something out of nothing) on the field.

On the other hand, there will be games where teams go with a lighter/easier to run-block box in order to defend against Cam's game, and Fletcher (and Martinez) could be the better backs. Different clubs in a golf bag...

Advertisement
16f58d46-da46-4b61-8925-8b83438ae3a4_text.gif

Advertisement
He lead the team in rushing yards last year in this system, despite not having the most carries & splitting reps with 3 other backs.

And was injured for a portion of the season.

Fletcher was a TF last season and the other two in the current 3-deep (Lyle and Martinez) weren't on campus.

You could compare what Parrish did last season (where the run-blocking was more consistent) to freshman Fletcher, but you can't take his production last season and compare it apples to apples with our RB production this season because the variables (losing 2 NFL OL) are different; LG is weaker and LT has been weaker last 2 games as well.

Maybe Parish could crack the current 3-deep but I doubt he would because he wasn't a run-though-contact kinda guy, which is what Mario is looking for. If he was here I feel strongly that he would be battling Allen for carries and not the top 3, but that shouldn't be taken as a slight on his game.

Last edited:
Never had any issues with him he’s a helluva football player -

Our RB became very competitive-He’s a better fit with Ole Miss and Kiffin-

You never know we might be matched up against Ole Miss in the playoffs that would an offensive show.

Advertisement
Back