2024 Elijah Rushing 5* #1 Edge (Commits to Zona then flips to Oregon)

Advertisement
I’ll add Mike Elko, DeBoer, Josh Huepel, Marcus Freeman…plenty of lower level coaches…

I get they don’t have the Rose Bowl and two conference titles on their resumes…but let’s see how the discussion shakes out in 5 years

Who needs a Rose bowl when Huepel has an imaginary Natty

So staying objective as you’ve said…

We got 2 last year (call Bain a 3rd if you want, he’s playing like one), and 0 this year.

You’re saying Mario isn’t stacking?
As a Mario supporter, I can say Mario is not stacking per that definition just yet. I think he would tell you the same thing. Plenty of room to grow. Hence why he’s going after the “whales”. Jeremiah Smith, Ellis, and the DTs.

I can definitely say, however, he is elevating the quality of player by a long shot. When was the last time Miami signed 2 (3 if you count Bain) five stars in one year?

Not to mention the other players like Fletcher that are legit 4 stars. Not all 4/5 stars are created equal. That’s why Saban doesn’t go chasing after guys just cuz they’re a 5star.

Advertisement
Who needs a Rose bowl when Huepel has an imaginary Natty
True, he’s got an Orange Bowl with a backup QB.

As a Mario supporter, I can say Mario is not stacking per that definition just yet. I think he would tell you the same thing. Plenty of room to grow. Hence why he’s going after the “whales”. Jeremiah Smith, Ellis, and the DTs.

I can definitely say, however, he is elevating the quality of player by a long shot. When was the last time Miami signed 2 (3 if you count Bain) five stars in one year?

Not to mention the other players like Fletcher that are legit 4 stars. Not all 4/5 stars are created equal. That’s why Saban doesn’t go chasing after guys just cuz they’re a 5star.
Last year’s class was more than acceptable, it was the best we’ve had in years. Set the bar even higher than what was initially perceived.

This year’s class (as of October 31) looks exactly like a Manny/Golden class predicated on evaluations that we spin the heck out of to make us feel better over the lack of blue chippers (and we know how this road ends). He has six weeks to change that.

As many said, winning was supposed to change that. Still can, but it might take more than 8 wins.

True, he’s got an Orange Bowl with a backup QB.

Last year’s class was more than acceptable, it was the best we’ve had in years. Set the bar even higher than what was initially perceived.

This year’s class (as of October 31) looks exactly like a Manny/Golden class predicated on evaluations that we spin the heck out of to make us feel better over the lack of blue chippers (and we know how this road ends). He has six weeks to change that.

As many said, winning was supposed to change that. Still can, but it might take more than 8 wins.
Id agree on both fronts regarding last year’s and this year’s class up to now. I’d say it’s also hype related attached to wins. It all plays in to a “perception” of success and that the program is in a place where it will compete for national titles. People don’t realize we’re a kneel away from being ranked in the top 12-15. That would do wonders for the perception of the program.

Last year was so bad that this year needs to be 8 or better to offset that and show that it’s truly trending in the right direction.

Guess which team and coach averages 40 rushes per game v 29 passes per game but doesnt get tagged with Bro style? Narratives are a helluva thing

But god forbid if i prefer a run heavy offense that can throw when needed and take deep shots

Advertisement
Guess which team and coach averages 40 rushes per game v 29 passes per game but doesnt get tagged with Bro style? Narratives are a helluva thing

But go forbid u prefer a run heavy offense than can throw when needed and take deep shots
You’re not seriously trying to lump Lane Kiffin in with bro style based on # of rushing attempts are you?

Please tell me you are.

You’re not seriously trying to lump Lane Kiffin in with bro style based on # of rushing attempts are you?

Please tell me you are.
I dont call anything bro style. Not sure what the definition is, but i thought being a run heavy team was part of it. I would love the run heavy offense Lane is running. Thats my preference. As long as we can throw it when we want to and when we need to.

Please tell me you are.
1698800625247.gif

Advertisement
I dont call anything bro style. Not sure what the definition is, but i thought being a run heavy team was part of it. I would love the run heavy offense Lane is running. Thats my preference. As long as we can throw it when we want to and when we need to.
no its not being run heavy. its how you run
Everyone has their own definition so I won’t flame for that. Personally I account for what hoops is saying + tempo and what your passing attack looks like off the run sets. If you’re just running to run, there’s no point, there’s no set up.

Bringing in TE’s to just block and not utilize their full skill set, no motion, no deceptive qualities…that’s all simplistic and bro-style. No creativity, caveman like and out-dated. Running the ball to milk clock, playing keep-away…

Lane is far from that. Innovative, utilizes tempo, scores as much as humanely possible in a 60-min period. His run plays have purpose, he uses tempo to keep you on your heels, and the passing game opens up because of that. Heupel is similar in that running the ball is a true weapon, but it sets up everything else and he uses spacing to create advantages. He has a physical OL that he can lean on just like us, he just goes about it in a different manner. A more modern approach.

We run into run blitzes or against an outnumbered box, just to run.

I'm aware Mario has not made a playoff.

Luke Fickell is a good coach however he still has to prove something at the P5 level.

I stand corrected on Brian Kelly and the CFP berth. I don't see him as CLEARLY better than Mario if so would you rather have him here?

I'm aware these guys may have a higher career winning percentage however I'm not going 10 years back. I'm talking about recent trends. If we're a perennial 1 loss team in the ACC with a chance to compete in the Championship game that's literally one win away from being in the CFP. You guys act like Fickell Kelly etc has been to Multiple CFP and actually won.. NO they're in the same class as Mario.

Recent Trends (6 yrs - not including 2017 for Mario):

Mario: 46-21 (.686) 2 Conference Title, 3 Divisional Titles, 2 Bowl Victories including 1 NY6, 10+ win seasons: 2

Kelly: 60-12 (.833) 2 CFP births, 2 Divisional Titles (ACC/Covid), 2 bowl victories, 10+ win seasons: 5

I think it’s best to stop trying to bring up Kelly. Has he won the big one? No, but neither has 95% of the coaching field. Since 2007 there’s only been 5 active coaches to win a Nat’l Title: Saban, Dabo, Brown, Jimbo, Smart. Since 2007, there’s only been 9 coaches to win a Nat’l Title:
Saban
Dabo
Miles
Meyer
Brown
Smart
Jimbo
Orgeron
Chizik

Brother, that means 90-94% of FBS coaches have won a Nat’l Title (pending on which season we’re discussing).

Since 2014, there’s only been 10 active coaches to make the CFP:
Saban
Dabo
Fickell
Harbaugh
Day
Jimbo
Riley
Smart
Dykes
Kelly

Again, we’re taking 92% of FBS not making the CFP. Kelly is apart of that 8%. So I think it’s a bit disingenuous to try to compare what Kelly has done vs. Mario in the last 6 yrs alone, remotely comparing their careers.

Advertisement
I'm aware Mario has not made a playoff.

Luke Fickell is a good coach however he still has to prove something at the P5 level.

I stand corrected on Brian Kelly and the CFP berth. I don't see him as CLEARLY better than Mario if so would you rather have him here?

I'm aware these guys may have a higher career winning percentage however I'm not going 10 years back. I'm talking about recent trends. If we're a perennial 1 loss team in the ACC with a chance to compete in the Championship game that's literally one win away from being in the CFP. You guys act like Fickell Kelly etc has been to Multiple CFP and actually won.. NO they're in the same class as Mario.
I definitely wouldn’t take Brian Kelly over Mario, because he’s a King Corch.

But the point is, you’ve placed Mario as a top 10 Elite Coach & the fact is, he’s just not.

As for who I take instead of him, the list is pretty long tbh, but that’s irrelevant since he’s never going anywhere.

But if the discussion is about Coaches who are better, or who have a better resume, there’s quite a few.

An argument can be made Mario is at the edge of top 15, but top 10, not even close.

Recent Trends (6 yrs - not including 2017 for Mario):

Mario: 46-21 (.686) 2 Conference Title, 3 Divisional Titles, 2 Bowl Victories including 1 NY6, 10+ win seasons: 2

Kelly: 60-12 (.833) 2 CFP births, 2 Divisional Titles (ACC/Covid), 2 bowl victories, 10+ win seasons: 5

I think it’s best to stop trying to bring up Kelly. Has he won the big one? No, but neither has 95% of the coaching field. Since 2007 there’s only been 5 active coaches to win a Nat’l Title: Saban, Dabo, Brown, Jimbo, Smart. Since 2007, there’s only been 9 coaches to win a Nat’l Title:
Saban
Dabo
Miles
Meyer
Brown
Smart
Jimbo
Orgeron
Chizik

Brother, that means 90-94% of FBS coaches have won a Nat’l Title (pending on which season we’re discussing).

Since 2014, there’s only been 10 active coaches to make the CFP:
Saban
Dabo
Fickell
Harbaugh
Day
Jimbo
Riley
Smart
Dykes
Kelly

Again, we’re taking 92% of FBS not making the CFP. Kelly is apart of that 8%. So I think it’s a bit disingenuous to try to compare what Kelly has done vs. Mario in the last 6 yrs alone, remotely comparing their careers.

I'm not specifically comparing Kelly I responded to the posters comment. My initial post was I couldn't name 10 coaches who was CLEARLY better than Mario as a P5 headcoach let alone 20 coaches that is CLEARLY better. Responding to another poster who is trying to say Mario isn't a good coach. Also, I'll ask you the same question regarding Kelly. Would you rather him be the coach here instead of Mario?

I definitely wouldn’t take Brian Kelly over Mario, because he’s a King Corch.

But the point is, you’ve placed Mario as a top 10 Elite Coach & the fact is, he’s just not.

As for who I take instead of him, the list is pretty long tbh, but that’s irrelevant since he’s never going anywhere.

But if the discussion is about Coaches who are better, or who have a better resume, there’s quite a few.

An argument can be made Mario is at the edge of top 15, but top 10, not even close.

No I didn't all I said was I couldn't name 10 coaches CLEARLY better in my original post. Responding to someone who said there's 20 coaches CLEARLY better.

Advertisement
Back