2024 Elijah Rushing 5* #1 Edge (Commits to Zona then flips to Oregon)

I dont call anything bro style. Not sure what the definition is, but i thought being a run heavy team was part of it. I would love the run heavy offense Lane is running. Thats my preference. As long as we can throw it when we want to and when we need to.

And that we understand when we need to throw it. And that when we run it, we do so out of multiple sets and looking for numerical advantages. And that when we throw it, we do so intelligently.

Advertisement
There are absolutely 10 Coaches CLEARLY better.

Ok. I disagree. I think there are a few elite coaches and then the next group of coaches are comparable to Mario. Yes I acknowledge it can be argued. But clearly better is saying I would rather have that coach and be sure he'll improve the program significantly compared to what Mario has done

QB1 Bo Nix (Auburn commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
RB1 Bucky Irving (Minnesota commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
RB2 Jordan James (Class of 2022, UGA flip). Lanning.
RB3 Noah Whittington (Western Kentucky commit, transfer portal). Lanning

WR1 Troy Franklin (Class of 2020). Mario.
WR2 Tez Johnson (Troy commit, transfer portal). Lanning
“WR3” Technically Irving at 31 receptions and 258 yds

TE1 Terrence Ferguson (Class of 2021). Mario.
WR3: Gary Bryant Jr (USC commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
WR4: Traeshon Holden (Bama commit, transfer portal). Lanning.

LT: Josh Conerly (Class of 2022). Lanning

LG: Marcus Harper (Class of 2020). Mario
C: Jackson Powers-Johnson (Class of 2021). Mario
RG: Steven Jones (Class of 2018. Mario

RT: Ajani Cornelius (Rhode Island commit, transfer portal). Lanning.

DE: Brandon Dorlus (Class of 2019). Mario.
DE2: Johnny Bowens (Class of 2023). Lanning.
NT: Popo Aumavae (Class of 2017). Mark Helfrich commit,
Mario was still at Alabama.
NT2: Taki Taimani (Washington commit, transfer portal). Lanning.

DT: Casey Rogers (Nebraska commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
DT2: Keyon Ware-Hudson (Class of 2019). Mario
JACK: Jordan Burch (South Carolina commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
JACK2: Mateo Uiagalelei (interchangeable, class of 2023). Lanning.
WILL Jamal Hill (Class of 2019). Mario.
WILL2: Devon Jackson
MIKE: Jeffrey Bassa (Class of 2021). Mario.
MIKE2: Jestin Jacobs (Iowa commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
SAM: Teitum Tuioti (Class of 2023). Lanning.

SAM2: Mase Funa (Class of 2019). Mario.

FCB: Jahil Florence (class of 2022). Lanning.
FCB2: Trikweze Bridges (class of 2019). Mario.
BCB: Khyree Jackson (Alabama commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
BCB2: Nikko Reed (Colorado commit, transfer portal). Lanning.

FS: Steve Stephens (class of 2018). Mario.
FS2: Kodi DeCambra (class of 2023). Lanning
BS: Evan Williams (Fresno St. commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
BS2: Tyler Turner (class of 2023). Lanning.

Nickel: Tysheem Johnson (Ole Moss commit, transfer portal). Lanning.
Nickel2: Cole Martin (class of 2023). Lanning.

(The run different packages, hence the 12 defensive positions listed)

- 11 starters on offense, 5 of which come from Mario players (3 on OL)
- 2 of the top 6 pass-catchers are Mario
- 2/8 players on the DL are Mario
- 5 of the remaining 16 contributors in the LB/secondary are Mario players.
Cam McCormick class of 2017 Mario

I'm not specifically comparing Kelly I responded to the posters comment. My initial post was I couldn't name 10 coaches who was CLEARLY better than Mario as a P5 headcoach let alone 20 coaches that is CLEARLY better. Responding to another poster who is trying to say Mario isn't a good coach. Also, I'll ask you the same question regarding Kelly. Would you rather him be the coach here instead of Mario?

Yes, I would.

I’m fine w/ Mario being here, I think Mario is a good coach despite what his overall record or how last year ended; however, I’ve been very consistent on this board that he was not my first choice. The fact is, Mario needs to out talent his opponents. I was fine w that due to his reputation as an elite recruiter. However, history shows his coaching style that’s from circa 1991 puts his more talented teams in dog fights w/ less talented teams, often resulting is losses that should never be.

With that said Kelly has won big wherever he’s been; no, he hasn’t won the big one, but he’s been much closer to winning it all than Mario & that’s not up for debate.

Yes, I would.

I’m fine w/ Mario being here, I think Mario is a good coach despite what his overall record or how last year ended; however, I’ve been very consistent on this board that he was not my first choice. The fact is, Mario needs to out talent his opponents. I was fine w that due to his reputation as an elite recruiter. However, history shows his coaching style that’s from circa 1991 puts his more talented teams in dog fights w/ less talented teams, often resulting is losses that should never be.

With that said Kelly has won big wherever he’s been; no, he hasn’t won the big one, but he’s been much closer to winning it all than Mario & that’s not up for debate.

Ok. I have no problem with that perspective. I just disagree. To me Kelly is what he is at this point. Mario still has room to grow he's relatively new in his P5 coaching career compared to Kelly.

Advertisement
Ok. I have no problem with that perspective. I just disagree. To me Kelly is what he is at this point. Mario still has room to grow he's relatively new in his P5 coaching career compared to Kelly.
Mario is 53, he has been doing this a long time. So while he has only been a P5 coach for 6 years it hardly means he is new to coaching.

As a Mario supporter, I can say Mario is not stacking per that definition just yet. I think he would tell you the same thing. Plenty of room to grow. Hence why he’s going after the “whales”. Jeremiah Smith, Ellis, and the DTs.

I can definitely say, however, he is elevating the quality of player by a long shot. When was the last time Miami signed 2 (3 if you count Bain) five stars in one year?

Not to mention the other players like Fletcher that are legit 4 stars. Not all 4/5 stars are created equal. That’s why Saban doesn’t go chasing after guys just cuz they’re a 5star.
Lol 2 years ago (2021 class) LT and JW

Advertisement
Yep some of the best current canes are Mannys guys

Kam, Williams, LT, Chaney and rivers
Sorry but wouldn’t that be expected and better be the case considering Mario has really had only one full class? And, amazingly enough, one could argue that the portal guys he brought in + a handful of true freshmen are brighter than the Juniors and Seniors on the team.

Cohen, Lee, Mauigoa Bros, Bain, Fletch…. He’s going to load us up with talent. I don’t doubt that. What he does with it remains to be seen.

Better way to explain it.....
Freezing Mitch Mcconnell GIF by GIPHY News
Ah man you ain't right 😂

Advertisement
Luke Fickell & Brian Kelly have both made the playoffs & literally every single Coach I mentioned has a Conference Championship on their resume.

Mario hasn't made the Playoffs either, I'm not sure if you know that.

And every single Coach I mentioned has more wins & a significantly better winning % than Mario.

Aside from 2 years at Oregon, he really hasn't shown he's the Elite Coach you're placing him as.

TrumpyCane wishes to play devils advocate

Did any of those coaches take over a FIU level program and win anything at that level?

During his time at Oregon, he had a top 10 winning percentage

Advertisement
Yep some of the best current canes are Mannys guys

Kam, Williams, LT, Chaney and rivers

Manny didn’t want Kam

Also, in TrumpyCane‘s opinion, the fact that you named Chaney, one of our best players speaks of the fact that Manny didn’t really recruit any game changers

Mario just needs to play to his strengths and delegate his weaknesses. As a recruiter he is excellent. Just hire top level coordinators and coaches and maybe get a mentor to help with in-game decision making and time/time out mgmt.

His recruiting this year leaves a lot to be desired. This class sucks by his standards. If he doesn’t fix that, he’s in trouble - he can’t afford a Manny-like class. I think he will, especially through the portal. The game day coaching is absurd. Don’t need a mentor to teach stuff a casual fan understands. He just needs to delegate and stay out of the way completely on game day. He doesn’t have the brain to compute quickly in high stress situations.

Me telling my kids that Miami had the chance to hire Lane Kiffin, who’s on the verge of taking Ole Miss to their second 10-win season in four years while playing in the SEC…but instead South Florida’s weeds engulfed us and constricted our blood flow…and the lack of oxygen in our brains robotically called for Mario

View attachment 263720

Not a cultural fit. Wouldn't get the financial backing Mario has gotten. He'd leave at the first opportunity given. Doesn't like to recruit. If only he beat GT. We could be 7 - 1 too.

I've heard all the reasons (many more there are) why he wouldn't have worked here.

Culture, well it doesn't seem to matter there, they're doing just fine. Have all of our past coaches been a S FL cultural fit?

How much financial backing is coming in the door? We're struggling this year, that or all the bigs took flight. Something is different.

What's wrong with coaches leaving? It's a recipe that worked for us in the past. It shows they always want a challenge, there's the next great thing to accomplish.

Okay, his recruiting classes don't look great on paper, but he still gets results. That shows he has an eye for talent and recruits players to his system.

GT, **** it, they crushed them and we know how it turned out for us.

7 - 1, could've, should've, but they are and we aren't.

Who knows how the Mario experiment turns out. Ole Miss has got them a coach though. He shows it every year while literally being a bottom half or third tier school in the SEC. A&M up this week and on paper, they shouldn't even be in the game.

Not a cultural fit. Wouldn't get the financial backing Mario has gotten. He'd leave at the first opportunity given. Doesn't like to recruit. If only he beat GT. We could be 7 - 1 too.

I've heard all the reasons (many more there are) why he wouldn't have worked here.

Culture, well it doesn't seem to matter there, they're doing just fine. Have all of our past coaches been a S FL cultural fit?

How much financial backing is coming in the door? We're struggling this year, that or all the bigs took flight. Something is different.

What's wrong with coaches leaving? It's a recipe that worked for us in the past. It shows they always want a challenge, there's the next great thing to accomplish.

Okay, his recruiting classes don't look great on paper, but he still gets results. That shows he has an eye for talent and recruits players to his system.

GT, **** it, they crushed them and we know how it turned out for us.

7 - 1, could've, should've, but they are and we aren't.

Who knows how the Mario experiment turns out. Ole Miss has got them a coach though. He shows it every year while literally being a bottom half or third tier school in the SEC. A&M up this week and on paper, they shouldn't even be in the game.

Lane gets, literally, a fraction of the NIL support Mario gets. It’s rather impressive what he’s done on the recruiting/portal front. Dude is an excellent college coach.

Advertisement
Back